Gransnet forums

Education

Learning to Blog--a new 'marathon' challenge

(86 Posts)
GrandmaMiney Mon 05-Nov-12 20:08:17

I've decided to take a mini course 'Beginning a Blog'. It starts at London's V&A museum tomorrow. I guess many of you are already blogging, but this is a new challenge for me.

When I started the Walking a Marathon (in a day) topic in the Exercise forum I was amazed by all the good ideas and support I received. So--I thought I'd share my experience of this new challenge, and welcome your comments and ideas.

I'm off for the first day tomorrow, so I'll log in and let you know how it goes. I see on the programme that there is a period set aside for us to explore the museum and take photos, make notes etc. Presumably this is for material to use on our blog.

Eventually I plan to blog on Learning to love the Challenge of Ageing (which I hinted at in the above forum after I completed my walking Marathon in September). Maybe I need to seek out some beautiful images of 'ageing' in the V&A tomorrow. moon

Any other ideas? Please!
I better go and 'google' the V&A catalogue for inspiration. So many beautiful artefacts--but what theme could I choose?

As they say--Watch this Space.....smile

JessM Tue 20-Nov-12 13:59:45

Nice blanket and well done for tacking Wordpress. I decided to stay with Blogger and am beginning to get to grips with it a bit better.
So here is a blog about why vitamin C supplements are a waste of money. I am posting one about juice very shortly.

appealingltoreasonblog.blogspot.co.uk

jO5 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:57:36

Have they forgiven us for what we did to Dresden? sad

I don't think the statue would be quite "strong" enough for Gaza. Certainly not for Horishima. But I understand what you are saying. smile

jO5 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:50:20

I've got this rug GrandmaMiney. I started it about three years ago. Made the mistake of letting DH near it. Needless to say, he buxxxxxd it up. Can't face it now.

If I send it to you GM, you can finish it. smile

Nonu Tue 20-Nov-12 13:15:48

Well done Minney .

GrandmaMiney Tue 20-Nov-12 11:55:26

The blog is up and running! It is such fun and doesn't really matter if anyone reads it or not--it is my web log, and helps me to write a few words, put up a few pictures and set some goals.

I now have to try to achieve them.
Just have to see. smile
www.autumnglint.wordpress.com

GrandmaMiney Fri 16-Nov-12 20:02:27

I agree about the 'joy of blogging', sort of! I tried Wordpress and didn't find it too bad, but I am frustrated by not being able to control the format, type face, etc. And I've had trouble getting words to wrap around the pix. As I'm such a new girl to all this it's all trial and error (and more error than trial) smile

I toyed with the idea of Tumblr because someone said it was much easier. But my son (who knows my propensity for wordorrhoea) thought Wordpress would be better for me. I went on to Tumblr, but found it even harder and such a hard sell of add-ons that it put me off, so I slunk back to Wordpress.

I've at least started 'to blog', but I've set myself some tasks. Now I have to get on with them. I hope to be able to post some progress on Project 1 by tomorrow evening--or Sunday at latest. hmm

I agree about the trouble with usernames--the first 10 I chose were all in use already. As I love autumn and its fruitfulness and its juiciness (and as I am sometimes known to have a glint in my eye!) I settled on:
autumnglint.wordpress.com

I've not investigated blogger--yet, tell me more smile

JessM Thu 15-Nov-12 15:41:36

Oh the joy of blogging. Have a blogger blog. Thought I would try setting up a Wordpress blog. Considered slitting throat. Went back to blogger - not easy, not intuitive, but a darn site less gratuitously vicious than Wordpress! And it let me have the name i wanted.

Ana Wed 14-Nov-12 21:52:30

Goethe - sp! blush

jO5 Wed 14-Nov-12 21:32:20

Sounds more like Walt Disney.

Or a well known tv programme showing on Saturday nights on BBC1.

Ana Wed 14-Nov-12 18:34:23

Of course I haven't any clues, GrandmaMiney! smile I only Googled the quote out of interest, and I noted that you'd only said it was attributed to Geothe. As Nonu commented, it's interesting - that's all!

GrandmaMiney Wed 14-Nov-12 18:29:48

Although this 'quote' appears in many places as a Goethe quote, I know there has been some discussion about its provenance.

However I find it such an inspirational quote that until someone tells me who said it, I will continue to use it!
As I cannot claim to be the first I feel I have to attribute it to someone, so it may as well be Goethe--maybe he threw the original bit of paper on the fire because he wasn't in the mood to take his own advice. Who knows?

Any clues Ana?

The inspiration is what really matters...and it certainly inspired me when my daughter put it on my justgiving page when I decided to try to walk a marathon to raise money for a charity.

Her other mantra is "It's always impossible--until it's done" which helped me keep going through the final 5 miles of the marathon walk!

I shall continue to apply them both to any new project I undertake.smile
Sorry if all that sounds a bit serious, it's an interesting discussion, so thanks for raising it.
Now--back to my sewing/travelogue/Olympic scrapbook before the blog inspiration dries up. Maybe a wine first!

Nonu Wed 14-Nov-12 13:57:45

Ana , checked it out , interesting !

Ana Wed 14-Nov-12 13:52:25

It may not have been written by Goethe...
German Myth 12

Nonu Wed 14-Nov-12 13:17:03

Do you know when it was written ? smile

Nonu Wed 14-Nov-12 13:14:29

I do like your quote by Goethe

Very apt.

GrandmaMiney Wed 14-Nov-12 12:43:25

Thanks for your comments, it really helps with this challenge.

Don't worry Greatnan you can skip Project 1 and just follow Project 2 (VN).
I'm hoping that by categorising the posts it should be possible to choose which category to follow. But it's all part of this huge learning curve. I appreciate having some GranGuinea-pigs to try it out with me. If you have the time to give feedback it really helps.

When anyone actually reads the blog they will know how I am using the term Deadline Decade --not always wise to trust assumptions!

In Gail Sheehy's groundbreaking book Passages she refers to the Deadline Decade as the time when people in their 30s and 40s are approaching midlife!

Her quote at the introduction to this section of her book is my all time favourite quote and has been written at the front of all my diaries for the last 25 years:

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

A quote attributed to Goethe, and i guess it still applies at whatever age I choose to learn to blog! smile

Nonu Wed 14-Nov-12 12:13:39

Found it easily , It was good !

Liked the picture of the leaf looking like a pair of lips .

Keep up the good work . smile

Greatnan Wed 14-Nov-12 11:11:31

I found it easily and read it with interest. I would like to know a lot more about your travels but less about the blanket -but that just reflects my own interests.
I have signed up to follow you, so keep it up!

jO5 Wed 14-Nov-12 10:46:31

"Deadline Decade"!!!!!!!!!!!!! shock

Are you 90?!

GrandmaMiney Wed 14-Nov-12 09:54:50

Well, I finished the 2-day blog course yesterday and after a bit of blood, sweat and a couple of tears of frustration (!) I've set up a blog!

Whether or not anyone can access it is another matter smile

I decided I had things to do before I can start something along the lines of the Best is Yet to Be project blog, so I've started a Deadline Decade blog.

J05 et al, please note I've heeded your comments and tried to be a bit more upbeat in my embryo ideas

Please don't think oh here she goes again, all doom and gloom. It's just that I have several currently unfinished projects (some from years ago) and if I try to be 'Ms Sensible' and not get carried away by a new passion, I have to finish at least some of these projects first.

So the Deadline Decade--getting things done blog is to encourage me to do just that. It's also blog-practice for my intended project.

If anyone's interested in what I've managed so far, or which projects I'm trying to finish, try checking out www.autumnglint.wordpress.com
I couldn't get it on google, but if you have Safari, you might be able to
it might need a /-Deadline Decade added.

That would make it www.autumnglint.wordpress.com/-Deadline Decade

I took on board the warning comments from Greatnan and Nonu, and I have used a user name, not my own. (Very difficult to choose, all my first choices had gone!) so Autumn Glint seemed appropriate for someone fruitfully older, but with a glint in their eye. aka GrandmaMiney.

Fingers crossed that the link works, or it's back to the drawingMacboard for me, with my tail between my legs. The course has finished now, so I'm on my ownio.

PS, I tried the first link and it worked for me!

The second link I gave worked, but when it said the page couldn't be opened, I just clicked on -Deadline Decade on the top bar of the screen, and it took me to the page. Incidentally, because of the design of the page there needs to be a hyphen mark before Deadline. i.e. -Deadline

It would be great to know if it lets anyone else get on.

Have a good day! flowers wine

Nonu Mon 12-Nov-12 18:36:06

This damn laptop of mine , when i said moon , I didn"t mean moon , I meant

goodnight ! Oh lordy , I"m going to hush now.

Nonu Mon 12-Nov-12 18:33:36

Grandmaminey , like [moon ]

GrandmaMiney Mon 12-Nov-12 18:31:43

Thanks for those comments greatnan and Nonu. Really helpful flowers

I think I'll use a user name when I do a 'trial blog' using Wordpress.

Also I'll begin with some fairly general things, and not bare my soul, as I've been tempted to do on Gransnet!

Nonu Mon 12-Nov-12 13:53:12

Be careful what you write Grandma , as it is amazing what people can pick up .

There are some funny old sorts out there . smile

Greatnan Mon 12-Nov-12 13:45:11

I think you are right to be cautious about what you put online. If you use your real name, anybody with a computer will be able to read what you write, just by googling your name.
IF I had a major job to do, I think I would set myself a target, like so many hundred words or so many hours a day.
I did start a blog about retiring to France, using blogspot, but I got bored!