Gransnet forums

Education

Learning to Blog--a new 'marathon' challenge

(86 Posts)
GrandmaMiney Mon 05-Nov-12 20:08:17

I've decided to take a mini course 'Beginning a Blog'. It starts at London's V&A museum tomorrow. I guess many of you are already blogging, but this is a new challenge for me.

When I started the Walking a Marathon (in a day) topic in the Exercise forum I was amazed by all the good ideas and support I received. So--I thought I'd share my experience of this new challenge, and welcome your comments and ideas.

I'm off for the first day tomorrow, so I'll log in and let you know how it goes. I see on the programme that there is a period set aside for us to explore the museum and take photos, make notes etc. Presumably this is for material to use on our blog.

Eventually I plan to blog on Learning to love the Challenge of Ageing (which I hinted at in the above forum after I completed my walking Marathon in September). Maybe I need to seek out some beautiful images of 'ageing' in the V&A tomorrow. moon

Any other ideas? Please!
I better go and 'google' the V&A catalogue for inspiration. So many beautiful artefacts--but what theme could I choose?

As they say--Watch this Space.....smile

GrandmaMiney Sat 24-Nov-12 20:58:28

I think it's time to end this topic. Au revoir smile

jO5 Fri 23-Nov-12 19:27:09

I've got to get off of here. I'm going dotty!!! grin

jO5 Fri 23-Nov-12 19:26:21

Oh God! I thought we were back to jenricks!!! grin

jO5 Fri 23-Nov-12 19:25:34

Not so much of the 'ex' Madam!

Elegran Fri 23-Nov-12 19:24:23

Not surprised he's ex if his fiance went on nagging him about wedding dresses as often as RookBrat.

If ever I need another wedding dress (unlikely), that is one firm I shall avoid.

Ana Fri 23-Nov-12 19:17:16

'Ask your ex boyfriend....'?? hmm

jO5 Fri 23-Nov-12 19:14:07

And I thought I'd missed something interesting!

rkoorbrad Fri 23-Nov-12 19:07:29

Message deleted by Gransnet.

rkoorbrad Fri 23-Nov-12 19:07:26

GrandmaMiney Fri 23-Nov-12 09:37:09

Finished Project 1 just before midnight last night wine for my blog
www. autumnglint.wordpress.com

My intention is to start Project 2: A View of Viet Nam next week. brew

Have a good weekend smile

GrandmaMiney Thu 22-Nov-12 11:27:59

hmm
Although there are storm clouds in the east, the sun is still shining sunshine

Maybe I'll make a Zen blog...

MiceElf Thu 22-Nov-12 09:01:35

Both reported

rkoorbrad Thu 22-Nov-12 08:51:06

rkoorbrad Thu 22-Nov-12 08:51:03

GrandmaMiney Wed 21-Nov-12 12:59:36

Sounds like you've got your life sorted j05--and I guess Oxfam will be grateful for the rug kit smile

jO5 Wed 21-Nov-12 10:03:53

I will give my uncompleted rug kit to Oxfam. Someone else can finish it.

jO5 Wed 21-Nov-12 09:59:23

I am happy to drift along contentedly at the moment, and sod the lot of it. smile

GrandmaMiney Wed 21-Nov-12 09:54:15

Sounds as if you're definitely on the right lines Oldgreymare! Have you read Lessons from my Life No 1 on www.autumnglint.wordpress.com ?

The thing I find good about this stage of my life is that I have time to spot the recurring patterns and reactions over time. Some of them are reassuring--other bits are scary, and some reactions make me cringe. blush

Whether I manage to learn from them is another matter, but I thought that if I start identifying them, I may be able to work on the negative aspects. It does not always work, but at least the awareness and intention is there! smile

Please leave a comment on my blog and let me know your ideas.

Today I've got to get the blanket finished, I guess blogs should not get boring!

Oldgreymare Wed 21-Nov-12 09:16:18

GrandmaMiney 7th year post-retirement and counting!

Actually, looking back, I suppose can tick a few items off the list not least tracing my Italian Grandfather (Learning a bit of Italian in order to visit his birthplace and having a 'Who do you think you are' moment while leafing thro' a large tome containing family records for the village.)

I think my periods of inactivity outnumber my active periods and I want to redress the balance.

I usually try to set deadlines and feel a real sense of achievement when they have been met and a real sense of failure when they are not.
I suppose the answer is to set realistic targets.

I bought and read 'Bring out the Bodies' as soon as it was published (I am trying to collect all Booker winners in hardback to pass on to GC! altho' I didn't know it was a winner at the time.) and thoroughly enjoyed it.... looking forward to the next and final book.

That's another thing to add to my list..... update my profile!!!!!

GrandmaMiney Tue 20-Nov-12 23:05:38

Go on Oldgreymare when you've had a year of post-retirement 'rest' it might be the time to start a ROML list (!) I think it was when I was reading a book about Sissinghurst/Vita Sackvill-West and her husband Harold Nicolson, that it mentioned he had a ROML border--an herbaceous border that was going to be the Rest of his Life's Work.
(I sneaked a peek at your biog and see you've read Wolf Hall so you might need to read Bring up the Bodies before you start blogging. I thought it was even better than Wolf Hall )

This is such a great time: new things to learn, but also so many things to look back on; enjoy the good memories and learn from the not-so-good.
Also I think it's interesting to see how apparently insignificant things actually enabled something unforseen to develop later.
Such a great harvest time for us...whilst planting seeds for the next generations. Don't you think? smile
I seem to have been recalling WWII memories for my 8 yr old grandson to recount at school. This is the topic for his class, this term. hmm I feel a future Blog in the pipeline.

Hasn't it also been said that on your deathbed (Pace, all those who think I'm always banging on about old age and death) it's the things you haven't done that you regret--not the things you have. I just don't want to find myself getting there and asking St Peter to wait a mo, as I've haven't finished my to-do list.

Hence www.autumnglint.wordpress.com now.

Sleep tight all you lovely gransnetters brew of Ovaltine (or camomile and spiced apple, my favourite bedtime tipple at the moment)

(Another strip of the blanket sewn tonight--I'll post again tomorrow)

Oldgreymare Tue 20-Nov-12 20:24:09

I think I need to take myself in hand and DO something!
Great to read the Blogs of Grans who have, inspirational too.
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life.... now where have I heard that before?
Which unfinished item shall I tackle first?
I think I'll go and make a nice brew and write a list..... night night

JessM Tue 20-Nov-12 18:57:23

Good point Grandmaminey - though I don't think it always matters. It would if, say, the research was promoting cranberry juice as the cure for all ills. And funded by cranberry producers co-op...

GrandmaMiney Tue 20-Nov-12 18:27:24

JessM
Like your blog--very professional.
When discussing research, please could you also take a look at who funds the research (i.e. the research that gets published)?

It is an area that has intrigued me for years, but not many places will risk looking at this angle.

GrandmaMiney Tue 20-Nov-12 18:18:35

Thank you all for visiting www.autumnglint.wordpress.com
I haven't posted today (yet) or yesterday, I'm too busy trying to meet my targets! I sewed a strip yesterday, and I'm about to start on today's strip.

Fingers crossed it will be finished this week...then I can move on to Viet Nam, (my Project 2)

j05 if you put the blanket away for another 10 years it's just possible something will give you the urge to finish it. It's taken me nearly 20! So long in fact that the colours are almost 'in' again grin

Re: the point about Dresden--when I visited Coventry and took that pic, I read that, soon after WWII, as part of the Reconciliation process a group of young people from Coventry went to Dresden to help re-build a hospital.

Re: Vitamin C, I've taken it every winter for years, and get hardly any colds. I was told by a biochemist about 10 years ago that its effect is greater if you take it with zinc. So I do! smile

jO5 Tue 20-Nov-12 14:03:03

jess "There is, they conclude, a small reduction in the severity and duration of colds in those taking regular supplements." That would do for me!