Gransnet forums

Education

Gove again!

(117 Posts)
Mishap Sun 02-Feb-14 18:51:01

Dear me - that man is such a pain in the proverbial. Does anyone actually rate him?

It so annoys me when he provides new "guidelines" about such things as discipline in the classroom - what does he know about it? How does he know that teachers are not already doing these things in situations where it is appropriate? - and using other methods where these are the right thing to do.

His falling out with OfSted is very worrying - he is trying to control what should be an independent body. I am no great fan of OfSted, as I think some of their judgements can be very subjective, and their negative assessments do not translate into help and support for struggling schools, as used to happen with the former LA inspectors.

I wonder if he will have the nerve to put in his crony now that the s**t has hit the fan?

What a singularly tiresome man. It would not matter if he were in a position where we could all just ignore him, but he has such power.

Riverwalk Thu 06-Feb-14 20:34:07

There's a long tradition of lampooning politicians - they're fair game.

I've never seen Blunkett being mocked for his blindness; as for Boris he carefully cultivates that disheveled polar bear look.

Nelliemoser Thu 06-Feb-14 20:44:07

Some more Gove, to continue the honourable tradition of lampooning politicians. Particularly ones with the dangerous ideas Gove has.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/04/michael-gove-funny-pictures_n_4722838.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular#slide=3385435

Nonu Thu 06-Feb-14 20:48:06

mean spirited!

Concur with you entirely Granjura

Ana Thu 06-Feb-14 20:59:57

Jingl already posted that link, Nelliemoser.

I'm actually with granjura and Nonu on this, in that although I thought the 'voodoo doll' was quite witty, the continual digs about M. Gove's looks are a bit tiresome. There are plenty of those about Miliband as well. They can't help the way they look - I bet we've all got, or seen, photos of ourselves looking peculiar! I always seem to have my eyes shut, for example...

Nelliemoser Thu 06-Feb-14 22:52:35

Ana Ahh! The link you and Jingle did have a different internet address. |I sort of approached the same link from a different direction.
That's probably where I got "muxed ip"! grin

margaretm74 Thu 06-Feb-14 23:17:55

It's a form of bullying surely? Disagree with his politics by all means but its not nice to criticise his looks.

Iam64 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:17:03

I disagree with his politics, and I find his mannerisms, and general presentation very off putting. He reminds me a bit of Mr Hitler - I don't mean his policies are like Hitler's, but the way he presents himself is reminiscent. As is the way he seems convinced he's right about everything, bombastic, opinionated and very difficult to find anything positive to say about him.

absent Fri 07-Feb-14 18:40:09

I don't think Brown was mocked for having one nearly blind eye. I think it was always Blair for his one maniacally staring eye – which was sometimes the right one and sometimes the left.

While it is true that Gove has an unappealing face, it is his silly gestures that are so irritating – apart from his policies, that is.

margaretm74 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:08:30

He used to be an actor, perhaps he is making theatrical gestures?

I did wonder where I recognised him from when he first came into prominence politically, then realised he had been on the telly

durhamjen Fri 07-Feb-14 23:54:37

On the local radio this morning, a man was interviewed who said that when Gove was a reporter he used to stay in their house. This man's mother reminded him that he used to put crisps in Gove's shoes. This could be why Gove wants kids to be punished by having to do cross-country running. Only Gove could suggest that. Not much cross-country in inner cities.

JessM Sat 08-Feb-14 08:24:36

Aren't all schools set in country estates? Really? Well they should be and then standards in the state sector would be better wouldn't they?

Riverwalk Sat 08-Feb-14 08:40:02

Michael Gove an actor hmm .... what has he appeared in?

Aka Sat 08-Feb-14 08:52:40

Michael Gove as an actor

See above River

Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:53:55

Anyone else just see Michael Gove in the Alan Titchmarsh show? The man's a twonk.

Dragonfly1 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:54:33

*on

redeagle777 Fri 21-Feb-14 14:22:30

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.