Gransnet forums

Education

Phonics -v- Look and Say

(53 Posts)
rosequartz Tue 29-Apr-14 20:29:15

Does anyone have any views on the widespread use of phonics to teach children to read, and do you think that some children benefit more from the 'Look and Say' method. Is it better for some foundation years pupils to learn the 100 basic words first, using flashcards, then proceed to phonics after these words are mastered?
The system of reading at the moment in primary schools seems to rely totally on phonics and I do not think it suits every child and I wonder if there should be more flexibility.
What is the best way to teach a seemingly very bright child who is struggling how to read?
I would welcome some opinions on this.

Thistledoo Mon 23-Jun-14 19:54:03

I was wondering if any teacher GNs could advise me on this subject. My little 6 year old DGD is in P1, she is very bright, articulate and really good at all her subjects at school especially number work. As I spend a great deal of time with her when her mother is at work, I am the one who will hear her reading homework. I actually thought she was doing quite well, her school are using the Biff and Chip books and I noticed no problems until a few weeks ago when she went onto the next stage (3) I think.
She now stumbles on most of her phonics and is having to sound out all the words, even the simplest ones such as 'sits' . I am now wondering if she is struggling with the phonics. She was placed in a composite class consisting of P2 and just 4 P1s. Is it possible that her difficulties have not been spotted. The first reports arrived on Friday and the comments were all excellent and the teacher says she is attaining the level of reading expected of her for her age. Surely a child that has attended school for a whole year should be able to read with a little more fluency.
I have bought some phonic flash cards, in the hope we may be able to make a bit of progress during the summer break. Any tips or comments would be very helpful.

Safaree3231 Sat 11-Jul-20 12:34:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.