Gransnet forums

Education

Crass teacher

(39 Posts)
Mishap Thu 15-May-14 09:47:59

I have just heard of a primary school in the south of England where a teacher sent out to all parents a photocopied line drawing of buddha for buddhism awareness day. There was to be a competition and the children had to "dress the buddha as a famous person"!!!!! Unbelievable! Can you imagine sending out a picture of Jesus and doing the same thing?! Buddha dressed as David Beckham, or with a Hitler moustache!!!! What can he have been thinking of!? Head teacher got wind of it and scotched it, but not before lots of parents had put their oar in. I am glad that none of my GC will be taught by this person!

ninathenana Thu 15-May-14 09:52:56

DOH ! What a plonker.

rosesarered Thu 15-May-14 09:57:00

shock

Dragonfly1 Thu 15-May-14 10:35:18

Oh dear.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 10:47:55

grin

Idiot.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 10:52:39

I suppose the usual Buddah does resemble a yoga pose. David Beckham doing yoga? Possible perhaps.

Agus Thu 15-May-14 11:05:28

He put a lot of thought into that one!

(Rude words)

MiniMouse Thu 15-May-14 11:41:04

Oh my word hmm Hope he doesn't have/hasn't got children of his own - that wouldn't bode well . . . . .

janerowena Thu 15-May-14 12:09:52

Perhaps it was wrong of me to have laughed out loud for a very long time when I read this...

It's really dreadful! but grin

thatbags Thu 15-May-14 12:14:53

I thought it was funny too. Wouldn't have been bothered in the slightest by the Jesus idea either. Kind of shows how silly some homework ideas are though, and presumably only thought up because of a homework 'policy' that they could ditch anyhow.

Looking deeper though, I think I can see where the teacher was coming from with this idea. Take a man, any man, and you can dress him up as various characters but he remains the same man in the end. And the fact that whoever the original man is/was, in the end he's still just a man. Valuing diversity lesson. I've come across sillier ideas with that heading.

Mishap Thu 15-May-14 12:26:20

I have reason to believe that this teacher was not thinking deeper!

I agree one is torn between laughing and exasperation.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 14:43:19

It's funny how you can buy Buddha statues left right and centre, even ones for the garden, but you can't buy Jesus ones. confused

granjura Thu 15-May-14 17:10:45

Incredible, really. Mind you, I think I already mentioned the open evening at a primary school where I was doing a teaching practice- where they had the first ever Diwali celebration with a dance show where all the kids were involved- all the Hindu parents were invited- and at the end, the Head said something like 'what a wonderful evening with lot of colour and dance- now let's bow our heads and pray to the good Lord Jesus who made such an event possible'

If I could have dug a hole and disappeared, I would have.

And the local Methodist preacher who used to come to talk to kids in Assembly from time to time, and chose Navrati day to talk about idolatry in Christianity and how wrong and terrible it was, etc.

Deedaa Thu 15-May-14 22:34:55

Plenty of Jesus statues on sale in Italy jingle also the Madonna and various saints.

I can see that dressing Buddha up as famous people could be an interesting exercise, but the trouble is that so few famous people are Buddha shaped.

waltermitty Thu 15-May-14 23:37:24

And so it comes to pass!! If you wish to buy statues and you have a faith, you can buy them in your own church - absolutely no need to travel to Italy!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-May-14 09:53:12

I meant you don't see Jesus statues in garden centres. You do see Buddah ones.

I know about cathedral shops and the like.

(I don't actually want a statue of Jesus)

Elegran Fri 16-May-14 10:14:27

If enough customers asked for them, B&Q would stock them.

granjura Fri 16-May-14 10:50:06

When we visited Assisi and the area, I really did feel sorry for St Francis- the amount of tat sold in his name would make him turn in his pauper's grave (:

Penstemmon Fri 16-May-14 21:06:46

Not a thoughtful activity on the face of it. However it might depend on what had gone on in the lesson and the context of the work.

If however it was a hurridly thought of, 'OMG..homework.....' then not v good at all!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-May-14 21:09:44

Elegran we could give it a go. How about tomorrow afternoon. We all descend on B & Q and ask for Jesus? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-May-14 21:10:16

That didn't really come out right.

Elegran Fri 16-May-14 21:18:23

It takes me two buses to get to B&Q and I have been three times in the last week (repainting front door and vestibule, and checking non availablity of calcium carbonate for DIY chalk paint) so it is up to you Jings. Hope you find Jesus.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 16-May-14 21:25:17

Flip me, you've been busy while I was lying on the garden bench reading me book!

Stansgran Fri 16-May-14 21:35:00

Go to marble mountain quarry between Da Nang and Hue and they have every statue you have ever not wanted to buy from weeping madonnas to emaciated Buddhas as well as reclining nudes, swans and cute penguins. They also have a pagoda with a lift . Probably a lot easier to get to than B&q on the bus.

Elegran Fri 16-May-14 21:43:17

But do they have calcium carbonate? £14 for a one-litre tin of chalk paint is a bit steep when I have a cellar full of half tins of emulsion in every colour of the rainbow.