Gransnet forums

Education

I really do worry about this

(56 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 21-Jul-14 21:48:00

Evening all.

My dear DIL can barely spell, not that she ever writes to me, we always chat on the phone, but looking at some of her posts on Facebook make me despair!

I think she is far from alone, I have just had this notification from Freecycle:

OFFER: Chess of draws

I have a small chess of draws they are home made but in good condision

I do appreciate that the person posting this might have English as a second language, but it seems that spelling difficulty is everywhere!

Ana Tue 22-Jul-14 20:09:08

The trouble with relying on the punctuation of a Shakespeare play is that it could have been changed many times since he actually wrote it.

Scholars over the years have apparently taken it upon themselves to alter the punctuation to suit their own interpretation of the meaning of the text - I only became aware of this recently quite by chance!

rosequartz Tue 22-Jul-14 20:12:51

My role in retirement was to go round the country with Tippex, chalk's chalk rubber's, inserting or deleting apostrophes' as appropriate.

I then thought I could possibly get something wrong, and other pastime's got in the way anyway.
Like researching Family History's, becoming addicted to Grans'net (is the last one correct - net of the Grans?), grandchildrens' activitie's and lot's of other things'''.

HollyDaze Tue 22-Jul-14 20:19:55

rosequartz

That's the spirit grin

If I am faced with reading Shakespeare, I have always found that a couple of matchsticks to keep my eyes open helps enormously.

rosequartz Tue 22-Jul-14 20:27:01

Love some of it (mainly in bite-sized pieces!)

Penstemmon Tue 22-Jul-14 22:41:21

Just for information 6-7 yr olds in Year Two will take a SPaG test 2016

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/301895/2016_Key_Stage_1_English_grammar__punctuation_and_spelling_test_framework.pdf