Gransnet forums

Education

Another chance to fail.......

(36 Posts)
absent Wed 08-Apr-15 21:03:51

annodomini grin

tiggypiro Wed 08-Apr-15 21:00:32

Of course testing children again who are nervous, worried or upset about tests is really going to do some good isn't it. Perhaps the maths test should be a simple single question eg What is 6 x 7 ? Any child who can answer in less than 10 secs will pass.

pompa Wed 08-Apr-15 15:35:07

Having had some experience of employing young people, it appalls me just how bad the basic maths and English is of many. Many are incapable of simple arithmetic or able to write a sensible sentence. These are a basic requirement of almost any job. We need to concentrate on the basics.
I am not talking about a level that could be called academic, just basic.

annodomini Wed 08-Apr-15 14:52:22

The Government is so proficient in maths that they think all children should come up to the average. confused

Lilygran Wed 08-Apr-15 14:01:07

mishap Good points. All learning has to be assessed, it always was although you'd think the politicians invented it. The problem lies in making the assessment the basis for judging the schools in a very confrontational way.

GillT57 Wed 08-Apr-15 13:44:05

agreed mishap.

Mishap Wed 08-Apr-15 13:29:10

In an ideal world it would not be seen as pass or fail - but the news bulletins talk in those terms, as does the minister - so that is the message that parents and child will receive.

I agree that we need to know how each child is progressing - but teachers know that and adapt their teaching accordingly. We need to trust teachers and allow them the freedom to use their professional judgement and skills; alongside that there need to be robust rules for weeding out duff teachers.

GillT57 Wed 08-Apr-15 12:45:11

Flickety there is always allowance made for those with statements or known learning problems, so it won't end with some children being 'stuck' as such. I do think that there should be some measure of standards of reading. maths etc., otherwise there is a possible chance of children in failing schools dropping behind their peers in better performing schools, and thus being disadvantaged when they all meet at senior school. However, having said that, I think the concerns should be why some children are not achieving these standards, frankly, if you do not attain a certain reading age by the time you go to senior school then your chances of coping with multiple subjects are slim. When a child does not reach the expected standard ( not 'fails') then there should be questions as to why this is. Is it an undiagnosed learning difficulty? Undiagnosed dyselxia? Bad exam technique/exams stress? Home problems? No one system is perfect of course, but I do think that we as parents need to know that our children are achieving the expected levels, and if not, why not.

FlicketyB Wed 08-Apr-15 11:50:00

What about children in main stream schools with statements? Those with dyslexia, or other disabilities that inhibit learning. Will they be expected to sit these tests ad infinitum until they reach school leaving age because they cannot meet the standard.?

ninathenana Wed 08-Apr-15 11:36:29

Here, here !

I don't hold much store by SATS anyway. DS and a few of his peers took their yr 5??? SATS (9-10) a year early and did quiet well in them. However his GCSE results were mostly C's.

Mishap Wed 08-Apr-15 11:00:20

........and another reason not to vote Tory.

FFS - some children are not academic - what on earth is the point in making them take their maths SAT again at secondary school?. What they need is the proper support to achieve what is THEIR best.