Gransnet forums

Education

Children are worrying about SATs tests

(126 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 12-May-15 00:30:24

I heard on the radio today that it has been claimed some young children are getting really stressed out about SATs tests - being unable to eat, sleep etc. (though I was a bit surprised to hear that some of them are smoking - surely not).

I probably would have thought there was a lot of exaggeration going on but when I went to the school to read with the children the other day, one of the teachers told me the little girl in her class wouldn't be available this week because the class was doing "special work". She put her hand to her face and mouthed the word "SATs" to me. So obviously the teachers in that school feel it advisable to disguise the fact that the children are actually being tested.

I think it's total madness that children are being subjected to this sort of stress and fear of failure at so young an age. I would have thought these days many of them have enough to contend with already without piling more pressure on.

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 17:06:31

I don't remember that particular question when I took the 11+ (twice)
However, most of it looks familiar from the seemingly ceaseless round of two years of test papers.

Does anyone remember a book called 'First Aid in English'?

Ana Tue 12-May-15 17:07:47

Yes! grin

Nelliemoser Tue 12-May-15 17:42:40

I think "a fellow" in the context of that sentence should have been acceptable.

I think "Fellows" if you are thinking in academic circles would certainly have been referred to as such in Oxbridge circles in the 1950s.
I suppose a very bright and daring child could have justified that one.

I think I have completely forgotten how to do fractions.

The trouble is I am now 56 yrs on from the 11plus, a bit wiser and I have gained a lot more knowledge than I had then, so I now have no idea if I would have manged many of those or not. I managed to pass it somehow.

Mishap Tue 12-May-15 17:53:23

You did well nellie, as did I and many other female Gransnetters, because at the start of the 11+ there had been an expectation that roughly equal numbers of girls and boys would pass - in fact many more girls were passing, so they raised the pass mark for girls!! Outrageous!

Ana Tue 12-May-15 18:07:17

Apparently the O level pass mark was raised for girls in the 50s and 60s too! It's unbelievable, isn't it? (almost)

Iam64 Tue 12-May-15 18:31:32

Yes it is Ana (almost)
Another unfair thing about the 11 + was the discrepancy about how many children were allowed to pass in different areas.

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 18:33:48

Apparently the O level pass mark was raised for girls in the 50s and 60s too! It's unbelievable, isn't it?

I am even more brilliant than I thought then grin

Ana Tue 12-May-15 18:37:58

Me too - if only we'd known at the time! grin

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 18:38:43

Yes, we were always being told we had 'brains like sieves'.

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 18:39:48

Nowadays I would answer that, yes, my brain retains what is important to me and lets the rest flow away .....
amo amas amat and much more

Ana Tue 12-May-15 18:43:52

I must admit I always thought some of the boys from the local Grammar School weren't as clever as they thought they were...

Ana Tue 12-May-15 18:45:45

Not that I met many, as I was at the Girls' Grammar, which was nowhere near the boys' school sad

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 18:45:54

grin

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 18:47:43

We used to meet after school; they weren't that far apart.

One or two of my friends even married boys from the Grammar School shock (later on in their 20s of course when the boys had matured a bit)

Ana Tue 12-May-15 18:50:22

Yes, I discovered a couple of girls in my year had married boys from the Grammar and had lived in the same area ever since, when I checked on Friends Reunited.

durhamjen Tue 12-May-15 19:05:38

Children who do not reach a satisfactory level in primary school SATs will have to resit in secondary school. A Tory manifesto promise. Lucky kids.

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 19:05:58

My BF did; he is very nice though!

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 19:07:11

In France they have to stay down a year (or they did anyway, not sure if they still do), so get left behind when their friends move on.

Nelliemoser Tue 12-May-15 19:23:12

The discrepancy of fixing the 11 plus pass rate figures to suit the number of places available in grammar schools is why comprehensive schools are a much fairer option.

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 19:29:10

Exam grades are always 'fixed' though, aren't they?

annodomini Tue 12-May-15 19:32:21

I loved First Aid in English. The one we had was blue with a big red cross on the front. I found it useful as a teacher too. I have just looked it up on Amazon and it still exists! I wonder if 'Spell Well Wordbooks' are still around. My DS wants me to tackle English with my 10-year-old GS when I'm on granny duty this summer. Once a teacher...

trisher Tue 12-May-15 19:39:17

One of the problems with SATs is that there are some very pushy parents out there who push their offspring, even paying for extra tuition if they feel it is needed. They put pressure on teachers and complain vigorously if they think their child is not being given enough practice SATs papers. Caught between them and the targets they need to meet teachers have no choice but to teach to SATs, this means they introduce things which they know will up the children's marks. One of these techniques is "Wow words" giving a list of words which can bring extra marks if a child can fit some in to the writing test. The child doesn't have any real understanding of the vocabulary they are using, they use them in the SATs and then forget about them.

rosequartz Tue 12-May-15 19:41:36

I think I still have a copy somewhere - more junk which needs clearing out!

vampirequeen Tue 12-May-15 21:05:52

The KS1 SATS are much more laid back than the KS2 SATS. The formal nature of the KS2 SATS and the full year of preparation lead to the children's stress. A full year of exam preparation is also a terrible waste of learning time.

Mishap Tue 12-May-15 22:11:29

I still have my First Aid in English.