Gransnet forums

Education

For those who say that children don't learn grammar any more.....

(104 Posts)
Mamie Mon 25-Jan-16 06:41:01

Here is a short sample from the spelling and grammar test that eleven-year-olds will take this year.
www.sats2016.co.uk/think-youd-pass-your-sats-in-2016/
How did you do?

JaxKerr Fri 29-Jan-16 22:14:46

I got 6 out of 10 in the English but mainly guessed. Kids of 11 will never use this information outside school. I have 2 degrees, A levels, O levels (GCSE's) and I was stabbing in the dark!
You do not need to know the description of the structure of the language in order to speak it. This could explain why the rest of the world speaks English and other languages well, while we in GB are very poor at learning foreign languages blush

holcott48 Wed 27-Jan-16 12:12:33

I got 7/10, 70%, but through some guesswork because when I left education in 1966 most of those terms didn't exist - I had to use common sense to work out what on earth they were talking about!

JackyB Wed 27-Jan-16 12:08:49

I got 7 out of 10, because I wasn't familiar with the terminology, although some of it could easily be worked out. (We learnt about modal verbs, but that was possibly in French or Italian.)

It was fun, but I always did enjoy grammar* and am eternally thankful to our English teacher who had us analysing sentences and was very fussy about it. That knowledge (especially concerning the dative and accusative) has been invaluable for learning new languages, which I have continued to do all my life. It's not too early for kids of that age to learn about those concepts - the earlier the better, if you ask me.

While changes in the language and evolution are inevitable, a certain standard should still be maintained for spelling and grammar or one day we will be inundated by misunderstandings as no one will know what is meant.

*Also I was only an average pupil but excelled at tests and loved exam time.

trisher Wed 27-Jan-16 10:05:24

MazieD I didn't read the article as condemning the teaching of grammar only as an assertion that we should take into account when reading something the effort that the writer might have put into it, and that marking and pointing out errors is sometimes not appropriate. Something I completely agree with.

trisher Wed 27-Jan-16 10:01:02

But the NLS started the idea that children must be taught certain things at certain stages with very little allowance for the stage they might really be at. The one-size fits all strategy that continues to blight education.

Anya Wed 27-Jan-16 07:47:22

Just to point out to those who are talking about secondary school or 'O' levels, these are Key Stage 2 SATs, taken at end of primary school, in Y6. That means by 10 - 11 year olds.

but I expect everybody knows that

oldgoat Tue 26-Jan-16 22:53:00

A bright little six year old, sitting on the cafe table next to ours, completing a spelling puzzle. "Look Daddy, that's a split digraph." Dad gets out his phone to look up what she means...

nannalyn53 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:30:12

Trisha- the NLS (National Literacy Strategy) was wound down in 2010 and was not in place when the new grammar and spelling tests were introduced. They were Mr Gove's idea. Some teaching of grammar was included in the NLS, mainly in later primary, to enable children to have the vocabulary needed to discuss what makes sentences effective or ineffective. This helps children's understanding of what they read - why passages are exciting/ moving/ scary etc, - but is especially useful when helping them to improve their own writing I.e. writing with clarity and purpose. Simply naming different parts of speech is really missing the point.

Leonora47 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:23:05

Well! You could have knocked me down with the proverbial, " wet lettuce leaf" when it was revealed that I had scraped through my SATS
with a score of 60%.
I left our Secondary Modern School two weeks before my 15th birthday, having learned very little about punctuation or grammar.
Most of the questions meant very little to me; especially, determinators,(who sound like entities from Harry Potter).
My result makes me slightly suspicious of the, 'box-ticking' craze so popular for modern examinations.

BRedhead59 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:01:13

They might take tests in it but they certainly don't speak it!
"How was your day" ?
"So, it was, like, awful because we had a grammar test"

Conni7 Tue 26-Jan-16 15:18:08

.... and I had a distinction in English Language when I was there!

Conni7 Tue 26-Jan-16 15:16:15

I did not recognize any of the titles. They have all changed since I was at school. In any case, I think some of the sentences were in bad grammar.

Mamie Tue 26-Jan-16 14:32:28

I wouldn't call it an IQ test railman, it is a test of applied knowledge. All of the grammatical terms and how to recognise them in context will have been systematically taught to the children. My GD2 is in Year 5 and has already done a lot of this. She is good at English and she manages to produce a lot of imaginative writing at the same time.
Anyone else with GC in Year 5 and 6 who knows how it is working in practice?

Funnygran Tue 26-Jan-16 14:12:37

Just done the test and only got 60%. Grammar and spelling were emphasised so strongly when I was at school and in later years I went on to do an English degree. I have obviously forgotten all the grammatical names and just rely on whether something feels or sounds right. I wish the test told you where you had gone wrong!

railman Tue 26-Jan-16 13:39:35

I think overall, I've come to the conclusion - probably obvious to everyone else - that like IQ tests, all these tests do is measure who can do best at tests.

railman Tue 26-Jan-16 13:35:55

Teacher11 - I get your point, and agree, from what I've read since earlier today. Maybe we should start teaching children Italian, alongside English, to help understand the Latin roots of some of the idiotic contortions of the Oxford English approach.

I think if going through these questions has taught me one thing about the current curriculum, it doesn't really help communication, but it certainly starts conversations!! smile

hallgreenmiss Tue 26-Jan-16 12:17:48

I was a 1960s grammar school girl and had English grammar lessons. I have an instinctive grasp of good grammar but scored badly in the test because of the terminology. It's unnecessary to burden primary school children with such complex terms. Teach the grammar, not definitions.

Charleygirl Tue 26-Jan-16 11:58:49

I am afraid to say that I gave up because I could not understand the terminology used.

nanaGill Tue 26-Jan-16 11:52:16

Just done this test and achieved 7/10. I didn't recognize a lot of the terminology used, but as previous posters have said, in real life you just KNOW when something is wrong, or at least, I think I do?

lizzypopbottle Tue 26-Jan-16 11:51:50

SATs not seats! Now that really is 'hoist by my own petard.'

lizzypopbottle Tue 26-Jan-16 11:50:21

Formal grammar lessons stopped when the English Language O level format changed. My school took part in the pilot study for the new exam which, as I recall, relied on comprehension and essay writing. The analytical grammar questions were dropped. We were lucky that we'd had grammar lessons up to Y9. I still only scored 8/10 for the seats test just now but, as someone else pointed out, the terminology has changed. I forgive myself because of that and because it's fifty years since I studied grammar! I may not know the terminology but I can string a coherent sentence together thanks to the importance of good grammar fifty years ago (as long as I anticipate the unhelpful substitutions made by my writing app!) It's very hard for teachers these days. Many didn't have effective grammar teaching themselves and have to learn on the job.

EmilyHarburn Tue 26-Jan-16 11:36:56

I got 3 out of 10. Most of the grammar vocabulary used was new to me. Yet I got English Language at Ordinary Level. Interesting.

adaunas Tue 26-Jan-16 11:21:53

Did grammar when I was at primary school and even more at high school with foreign languages, but had to learn some terms e.g. determiner in order to teach them. There was a big government thing saying that making children correct spellings or worry about punctuation stunted their creativity. If spelling those words correctly wasn't the Aim, Learning Objective, Learning Outcome etc. of the lesson, we shouldn't make the child correct it. ( Lots of us did anyway, but it had to be out of sight of those in charge.) Teachers had to stand by and watch children repeat mistakes until they were ingrained because new rules and strategies brought in wishy washy ideas. The reason for all the new terminology comes under management of change. When you get a new role, if nothing looks different then you aren't doing a good job. Grrr

Luckygirl Tue 26-Jan-16 11:18:22

The point one poster made about how soon children might become disenchanted with English I think refers to education as a whole, not just English. How is that a help to them or the rest of us?

Luckygirl Tue 26-Jan-16 11:14:58

Micromanagement indeed - to a farcical degree generated by ministers who know not a jot about education.

Talking to a teaching assistant in a primary school last year I discovered that he was instructed not to let a child out to play until she had grasped the meaning of "imperative verb." This wee lass will be lucky if she gets an unskilled job as an adult - she is on the borderline for special needs. Why would any teacher issue such an instruction I ask? Is this for the child's benefit, or is it to make sure that their data looks good?

It has all gone crazy - it is quite frightening.