Gransnet forums

Education

Something the pendants on Gransnet will love!!!!

(56 Posts)
whitewave Mon 07-Mar-16 08:11:02

See that this idiot government has pontificated about the explanation mark!

Children as young as 7 will be marked down for using out of context.

So the latest idiot rules are that it should only be used with complete/proper sentences in which there is a verb and begins with "what" or "who".

The dead hand of Gove seems present!

Takes no account of modern use and context.

gettingonabit Mon 07-Mar-16 10:58:23

Well, I for one am guilty of overusing the exclamation mark, particularly on social media, so perhaps that's what he means?

Eg: Michael Gove!!!! Sarah Vine!!!!!!!!WTAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falconbird Mon 07-Mar-16 11:16:43

I do use the exclamation mark in texts and e mails sometimes to make things clearer.

I also use smileys but that's another subject for debate. smile

pambo99 Mon 07-Mar-16 12:23:41

As in "WTF"!

Falconbird Mon 07-Mar-16 12:35:59

grin !

Lupatria Mon 07-Mar-16 12:39:01

anyone read sir terry pratchett's book "maskerade"? this is his take on the phantom of the opera. there the ghost leaves messages for the theatre owner - notes littered with exclamation marks. the number is remarked upon in the book - can't remember exactly what was said.

however i tend to use several exclamation marks when posting on social media [and in emails too i suppose] - i use them to show emphasis as this is difficult to portray in text.

mcculloch29 Mon 07-Mar-16 13:08:35

I can remember reading Sir Terry Pratchett's 'Maskerade' and feeling slightly guilty when I saw the over-use of exclamation marks criticised.

I do use ! and (!) and try not to do it too much, not least because I teach English as an e-tutor. Over - use can make a piece of writing look the work of someone slightly manic and highly strung, who has to emphasise every point.

Having said that, I am reasonably secure and confident in my own English skills. I can recognise my own over - use when I proof-read what I've written.

The directive should be focusing on over-use of exclamation marks by young people and children, where every sentence ends in a !. Along with the use of OMG!!!! Totes amazeballs!!! and so on.

That would have been fine, but why on earth the Dept for Education then gave a ridiculous and totally incorrect example of the supposedly correct usage of the exclamation mark is beyond me.

Well it isn't beyond me, actually; I'd wager that someone who didn't know what they are on about was tasked with writing a press release.
You need to know at least some of the rules of writing to write confidently and easily, but that isn't one of them.

Moreover, if everyone was to stick to the rules rigidly, inventive, creative, ground-breaking writing would become a thing of the past. Rant over.

Smurf44 Mon 07-Mar-16 13:33:27

I agree Kittylester. I love using multi exclamation marks to add emphasis!!
As an Infants teacher (5-7 years) 40 years ago I was pleased that they could hold a pencil correctly and form letters correctly at 4 and 5 years, and write legible, interesting sentences by the time they were 7 and could read a short story and answer simple questions with their own simple sentences.
My GD is now 12 and some of the school letters I have received recently leave a lot to be desired! Eg (read carefully). Maybe someone needs to look at teachers' command of the English language BEFORE telling 7 year olds about complex punctuation.
"NAME has been working hard since October 2015 in 'their' role for the Academy's entry into the National Rock Challenge Competition". Surely it should read as "her" role?

Also, in a different letter, this time from the Deputy Head Teacher, "Last term NAME was 'late to' the Academy....." Surely a verb is required such as "getting to" OR "arriving at"?
The letter continues with "We shall meet with NAME to ensure that she understands the importance of arriving 'to' the Academy by 8.45." Has the English language really changed so much that we no longer arrive AT a destination and late TO is correct without any verb whatsoever? My Professor of English must be turning in his grave!!!!!! Yes, I feel this needs multi exclamation marks regardless of this Government!

StaffordStag Mon 07-Mar-16 13:38:21

My wife is a Year 1 teacher and I'm absolutely gobsmacked at what she is required to teach her young pupils - it's as good as A-level English. If you really want to know what our young kids are going through then try the English SATs - www.sats2016.co.uk/think-youd-pass-your-sats-in-2016/ and for Maths SATs - www.sats2016.co.uk/quiz-think-youd-pass-sats-maths-2016/
I scored 40% on the English test!!!! and I went to university (not for English I hasten to add)
And if you really feel bad about it then petition this crazy government at
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/122038

!!!!!!!!!

Anya Mon 07-Mar-16 13:51:27

Hands off our exclamation marks! If I want to over use them I shall! And you can't stop me!

And while I'm at it 'leave them kids alone!'

grannylyn65 Mon 07-Mar-16 14:30:04

'pendants' ? !!!!!

Ana Mon 07-Mar-16 15:04:27

Ha ha, I've only just noticed that!

whitewave Mon 07-Mar-16 15:05:41

Predictive text!!!!!!!

trisher Mon 07-Mar-16 15:23:17

I overuse exclamation marks!!!! and will continue to do so!!! But I am struggling with when they are said to be used properly according to this. WTF! for example doesn't have a verb so isn't right
I suppose you could make it WTF do you think you are doing Mr Gove! but shouldn't that be a question mark?
Please can someone post a sentence that would be considered acceptable (besides the Shakespeare!)

grannylyn65 Mon 07-Mar-16 15:31:39

WTF is so expressive grin

Stansgran Mon 07-Mar-16 15:51:20

www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2016/mar/04/quotations-within-quotations-the-russian-doll-of-punctuation
If any pedant wants to be totally immersed in the gobsmackery elicited by this article I suggest getting an ice pack ready in the freezer.
Didn't mean to derail but didn't want to start a thread.

NfkDumpling Mon 07-Mar-16 16:10:02

Just tried the SATS test StaffordStag.

40% English and 56.25% Maths. Surprisingly for me the arithmetic was easiest - I wasn't good enough to do maths at my sec mod so the triangle stuff etc was double Dutch - but I didn't know or remember much of the English - and I passed English O level with flying colours!

What age do they sit these tests?

NfkDumpling Mon 07-Mar-16 16:11:44

(Oh dear, just realised I used a ! wrongly - I think!!!!)

Elegran Mon 07-Mar-16 16:48:11

trisher "Who do they think they are!" would be acceptable by their rules, but I would have put a question mark at the end, not an exclamation mark.

"What nonsense is this!, again, they would say this is right, but I would use a question mark.

I would say "What nonsense this is!" if I were using an exclamation mark, or just "What nonsense!". An exclamation has no need of a verb, and it does not need to be a proper sentence. It is an exclamation! and an exclamation is brief and dramatic.

"I keep six honest serving men
They taught me all I knew.
Their names are what and where and when
And how and why and who.
- but all six are usually followed by a question mark!

sluttygran Mon 07-Mar-16 18:10:31

If people wish to exclaim, then they should be free to use as many exclamation marks as they wish (!)
As a self-confessed pedant, I'm not that keen on the use of said punctuation device where a full stop would have served better, but applying such stringent rules to young children seems very wrong. Getting them to express themselves freely, and to use punctuation as well as they are able seems key, then gentle revision and correction of their written texts will usually get them into the swing of things.
I know that publishers are somewhat 'anti' the excessive use of exclamation marks, terming them 'screamers', and I have seen many manuscripts returned from editing because they have been overly employed - but that's professional writing for you.
In our everyday correspondence, we should do as we please, and even, if we wish, use the wonderful, explosive and expressive INTEROBANG !?! grin

trisher Mon 07-Mar-16 19:21:32

Thanks Elegran I thought a verb wasn't necessary but I thought if they said it needed one I must be wrong.
All I can think of now is Bertie Wooster and "What ho, Jeeves!"
Just looked up the Carol - Hark the Herald Angels sing. Now that uses a lot of exclamations!

smarti Tue 08-Mar-16 00:35:14

I think a good old Australian comment is called for here.

What a load of tripe!!!!

Elegran Tue 08-Mar-16 09:06:52

And a similar comment about whoever dreamed up this "rule" - "How ignorant!"

Jalima Tue 08-Mar-16 11:59:15

smarti don't forget to add the ? as well.
As in 'That's a crock of shit, mate??!!!'

(Apologies to those of a sensitive nature)

Bennan Tue 08-Mar-16 16:32:33

This is a load of s---! I couldn't possibly make statements on GN without my exclamation marks!! I shall continue to use them as often and as much as I like!!! And, any government official who takes exception to this will have to have the nerve to tell me to my face that I am wrong - if he/she dares!!!! And I shall use the on Facebook, e-mail and in letters too, so there!!!!!
(I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with 'and' but I don't care)!grin

Galen Tue 08-Mar-16 17:31:04

I will not be bullied!
I will use them as much as I think appropriate!
So, put that in your pipe and smoke it! ( blackcountry expression)