Gransnet forums

Education

Something the pendants on Gransnet will love!!!!

(55 Posts)
whitewave Mon 07-Mar-16 08:11:02

See that this idiot government has pontificated about the explanation mark!

Children as young as 7 will be marked down for using out of context.

So the latest idiot rules are that it should only be used with complete/proper sentences in which there is a verb and begins with "what" or "who".

The dead hand of Gove seems present!

Takes no account of modern use and context.

NanaandGrampy Mon 07-Mar-16 08:16:10

Thats me in trouble then grin

grumppa Mon 07-Mar-16 08:21:32

Utter garbage. Apart from anything else, surely a sentence containing a verb and starting with What would normally end with a question mark? The only exception that springs to mind is "What a piece of work is a man!", which is followed, if memory serves me right, by a phrase ending in an exclamation mark. But Shakespeare was just a grammar school boy.

Anya Mon 07-Mar-16 08:27:29

What a palaver!

ginny Mon 07-Mar-16 08:31:21

What exactly is an explanation mark ?

thatbags Mon 07-Mar-16 08:32:48

Correct use of punctuation is not pedantry where it matters. I think children should certainly be taught good usages of exclamation marks and shown bad examples, but I imagine seven year olds have more pressing educational concerns including being allowed to learn through play more. I include playing with exclamation marks in that hope.

So I'd certainly agree that this is more silly government interference. Would that they would bugger off with their pontifications and let teachers and kids get on with their lives!

Anya Mon 07-Mar-16 08:33:06

Something to hang a pendant on?

thatbags Mon 07-Mar-16 08:34:00

ginny, anya grin grin

whitewave Mon 07-Mar-16 08:44:12

anya I was waiting for that grin

ginny Mon 07-Mar-16 08:44:56

As one who sometimes struggles with punctuation, this started my day with a smile. wink

Katek Mon 07-Mar-16 08:49:08

Is a pendant anything to do with a hanging apostrophe? grin

Anya Mon 07-Mar-16 08:52:12

Blasted predictive text!

Elegran Mon 07-Mar-16 08:58:18

Is he confusing exclamation marks and question marks? Perhaps his grammar education was not as good as it might have been.

Falconbird Mon 07-Mar-16 09:20:36

When I was seven the teacher would be pleased with a nice piece of descriptive writing - probably punctuation free and lots of spelling mistakes.

I think I was about 9 before punctuation was introduced and at least eleven before I was using it properly.

hildajenniJ Mon 07-Mar-16 09:48:54

Elegran grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 07-Mar-16 09:53:07

Cobblers! hmm

whitewave Mon 07-Mar-16 09:55:18

There were a couple of academic bods talking about it and without saying too much they clearly thought it was rubbish!

I do think politicians get above themselves, thinking they know everything about everything, when in fact they tend to be Jacks of all trades.

Anya Mon 07-Mar-16 10:33:16

And 'master of none', to finish the saying.

Teacher11 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:40:49

When advertising for an English teacher my old headteacher used to bring the applications to the head of English. When handing them over for the selection of an interview list he used to say, 'Of course these are the ones who could write accurately and spell.' The others he threw in the bin.

Juggernaut Mon 07-Mar-16 10:45:45

Well then, I'm stuffed!!!

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Mar-16 10:50:42

Ha ha!
But only if you want to be an English teacher.

Lyndylou Mon 07-Mar-16 10:53:22

I think the issue is around the overuse of exclamation marks in essays rather than whether the children should be using them at all. From the articles I have read the government seem to be saying that social media is making children use phrases such as OMG!!! I must say this surprises me, I don't know any 7/8 year olds who use social media. My grandson will ask his mum to text me or his friend's mum for him, but he doesn't use texting, or twitter etc, himself.

My other concern is this issue of marking children down for not using exclamation marks. If a child of 7/8 is not writing the way a teacher wants them to, then they need extra teaching. The present government seem very keen on marking children down, but not actually putting strategies in place to get them where they want them to be.

ninathenana Mon 07-Mar-16 10:53:35

Falconbird GS was learning basic punctuation in year 1. Capital letter to start, comma and full stop.
I can't remember when I started learning grammar, I feel as if I've always known the rudiments. Perhaps I'm not always correct though ?
I use an exclamation mark quiet often in texts and posts as I think without being able to hear the tone of voice it makes it clearer.

kittylester Mon 07-Mar-16 10:54:00

I litter my texts etc with !!!!!, so I'm doomed!!!!!!! grin

Lyndylou Mon 07-Mar-16 10:56:36

Sorry that should, of course, have read this issue of marking children down for not using exclamation marks correctly.

Really don't know why I bother previewing messages if I don't read them properly!!! (too many or not enough?)