Gransnet forums

Education

OfSted....

(10 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 07-Jun-16 08:03:25

.......today. Anyone done this as a governor and have any advice to offer?

LullyDully Tue 07-Jun-16 08:05:54

Just good luck and stick to your guns.

Lillie Tue 07-Jun-16 08:11:35

Let them find something really minor to pick up on, because they've got to find something, then plain sail through the rest of the requirements!

As a governor, you should certainly be up to speed with "safeguarding" - the buzz word and staffing procedures.

Luckygirl Tue 07-Jun-16 16:26:55

Governors' interview over now - phew! He was a very nice guy - though whether that helps us I do not know!

Lillie Tue 07-Jun-16 16:46:25

Glad he was nice! My DH is one of them! Well done!

Luckygirl Tue 07-Jun-16 17:30:32

Ah! - one of "the enemy"!! grin

Lillie Tue 07-Jun-16 17:52:07

grin

Luckygirl Thu 09-Jun-16 11:24:58

I have no quibble with our outcome - but the process and the principles that underpin it all are so very wrong. Data showing pupils' achievement against national averages is all that matters (even where children have special needs and cannot hope to reach that standard)and takes precedence over absolutely everything else: breadth of curriculum, pupils' happiness, inspirational teaching, values, vision, good management etc. - all the things that education is really about. Any of these other items can be exceptionally good or totally brilliant, but they do not count at all against the data, however well children might have done in relation to their individual capabilities. I will vote for any government that scraps this crazy system. How soul-destroying for teachers who are working their tripe out.

dramatictessa Thu 09-Jun-16 11:39:56

They are only interested in what can be measured, and while children's achievements are very important, all the other wonderful aspects of education that you mention cannot be easily measured. I am always encouraged when I visit schools to see that the majority of them still inspire and motivate their pupils despite the enormous restrictions placed on them. Enjoy the rest of this academic year, the pressure is off you now for a little while smile

LullyDully Thu 09-Jun-16 13:12:09

It is great fun showing progress for some children with special needs , believe you me. It is all very contrived and soul destroying. We had one a.month before I retired. Could have done without it.,especially when the inspector asked me if I wanted feedback......no I did not!!