Gransnet forums

Education

Do you complain?

(9 Posts)
Indinana Sun 03-Jul-16 22:27:37

Sorry, should have read previous posts properly. Yes, I totally agree with Anya, and Leticia!

Indinana Sun 03-Jul-16 22:26:13

There are signs up in most doctors' surgeries and hospital departments warning that rude, antisocial or aggressive behaviour towards staff will not be tolerated. The same should apply to schools. I think they have every right to make a stand on this point and warn aggressive parents and grandparents that their behaviour is unacceptable and any further occurrence will result in them being banned from the school grounds.

Leticia Sun 03-Jul-16 22:06:07

I agree with Anya and it should be made perfectly clear to them that such behaviour is unacceptable.

Deedaa Sun 03-Jul-16 21:57:41

DD saw one enraged mother causing a scene because her child hadn't been given a part in the school play in spite of learning the audition piece. GS1 (in a loud voice) "Do you think she understands what an audition is Mummy?" DD beat a hasty retreat!

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 13:42:55

Sadly this type of aggression is becoming more common. A letter needs to go home to the parents telling them that this behavior is not acceptable and that they are welcome to take their little brat dear and her grandmother off to another school.

LullyDully Thu 30-Jun-16 12:46:52

We used to ask for backup if certain parents came into school,all guns blazing.. "Mr and Mrs Pissed off are coming in lully, will you come in with me? "
I remember one angry dad smashing the banister to pieces. Funny how their child was always in the right and they know how to make it better.

One mum called the police in because her child had horrific marks on her wrists, she said I had done!!! After (interrogation) discussion she admitted she had done it herself on the way home because I had told her off. She was refusing to move from the playground as the buses were driving in, perhaps I should have left her to get ploughed down

My career flashed before my eyes.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 12:17:43

Of course we all know our children/grandchildren are perfect, but I would take this sort of protestation with a huge pinch of salt. I can remember giving the same injured innocence speech when I'd been a little bugger in trouble at school and my parents very wisely ignoring it. Or more precisely, warning me of the consequences of any more monkeying about. And I would refrain from bursting in all guns blazing under any circumstances - very rude and ignorant. That grandparent should have a very stern warning from the school that any more outbursts would see them banned from the premises.

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 11:47:37

I think my daughter knew better than to tell me about it as she never got much sympathy. I understand from teaching friends that the behaviour you describe is very common. Bad form to discuss it in front of pupils though.

adaunas Thu 30-Jun-16 11:43:38

Most children, in most primary classes are lovely, but if your child or grandchild came home complaining that they been reprimanded for something they ' really didn't do', what do you do?
Just watched one furious grandparent telling the head in front of the child, "It (the consequence) had better not happen again!
(The child had been reprimanded for repeated bad manners and been eventually sent out of class.)