Gransnet forums

Education

Tablets computer ones

(66 Posts)
Mary594 Wed 14-Sep-16 09:08:43

I am in a huge dilemma I have had the kindle 8.0 HDX and have had nothing but trouble with it but even with all it's faults mainly charging issues I love it. Amazon are still selling them but have only one model and I am really tempted to buy it again. I bought one for my granddaughter and hers is not too bad. Amazon refunded me my money on mine by the way. I have been looking at other tablets and I have spent hours and hours and I can't make my mind up about any of them and that's why I am here. I am asking if anyone could help with recommendations I like the I pad and a Samsung I think it's the S 2 one . But when I was reading the reviews it said there's a lot of things you can't do with an IPad plus I am not sure how much you can trust these reviews. I am hoping that someone on here can help with suggestions. MARY

thatbags Thu 15-Sep-16 07:55:29

Oh but Our Jings is definitely a kettle, and a Jolly Good one at that ???

As my boss used to say to me in Sheffield: "Tek n nohtice, lass; tek n nohtice."

Elegran Thu 15-Sep-16 08:56:12

I think the saying you were looking for, JollyG, is "The pot calls the kettle black"

jollyg Thu 15-Sep-16 10:04:27

Not at all Elegran. The phrase is engraved in my memory, slightly differently.

My P7 teacher was a stickler and who stood no nonsense in her room.

For all those chatterboxes in class she soon shut them up by saying. " Empty kettles make the most sound" Google has it as vessels.

She was a good old fashioned 3r's teacher and got a lot of her class through the 11+.

kittylester Thu 15-Sep-16 10:51:57

Mr Grundy always said 'empty vessels make the most noise' and he knew everything!

Cherrytree59 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:52:41

Vessels. Kettles whatever!
Good old fashioned teachers usually teach
good old fashioned manners

Coolgran65 Thu 15-Sep-16 11:28:29

I don't usually buy those 'signs' with twee sayings that hang about the house but last week I saw this one....

""Blowing out someone elses candle
doesn't make yours glow any brighter""

I bought it and it sits at my kitchen windoe.

Somewhat apt.

Coolgran65 Thu 15-Sep-16 12:05:06

** window !!

Anniebach Thu 15-Sep-16 13:14:37

Vessels not kettles , and Jingle is not a vessel

Anya Thu 15-Sep-16 13:32:44

I assure you jolly that the correct word is 'vessels'.

There are proverbs about kettles, but this isn't one of them .

Stansgran Thu 15-Sep-16 14:24:45

Cherrytree got it in one. Just read the other thread. I'm not usually keen on threads about pooters as I have a low boredom threshold when it's comes to technology and what are sons and daughters for if not to buy their DM and DF the latest technology( or hand them their cast offs)

NanaMacGeek Thu 15-Sep-16 16:26:17

Hi Mary594, I've just looked up your printer, HP Officejet Pro 8610 and it will print wirelessly from pretty-well anything, including Apple iPads so your printer won't limit your choice of tablet. If I were you, I'd take my time and visit several stores. Ask for demonstrations on the tablets they offer and see how they feel in your hand, how easy they are to use, to read (in bright and dull light) and to write with. See whether or not they offer help to set it up for you. Be prepared to walk away without buying anything until you have properly assessed and compared prices and after sales service. If you can, go to an Apple store as well as somewhere like John Lewis. Go when it is quiet. If they don't ask you what you think you want to do on the tablet, don't bother with them, go elsewhere. In my experience it's true that Apple provide good support though. As someone who volunteers for a charity that helps people who don't have a lot of confidence with IT, my top tip is to make sure that you understand what the difference between passwords and usernames are (especially if they set up an Apple ID for an iPad if you decide to get one) and ensure that you understand what is being set up on your tablet on your behalf if someone else does it for you.

Mary594 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:35:44

Thanks NanaMacGeek I hope you see this and know I have thanked you that's sound advice. I went into my local Tesco extra and unbelievably they a couple of old ones and a kindle I asked and they said that's about normal for in-store. I must admit I was very disappointed. I will probably get it from John Lewis or an Apple store I am down to the Samsung tab S2 or the Apple iPad air 2. I don't understand why these companies think we can buy something like this online and then have no support. The kindle was great for support you just have to press a button and you got a technician to speak to live and I am scared about not having support. I hard to believe you can't go to a shop localand get this it's all internet shopping now and it's no good to me without support. I don't mind asking for help but I don't want someone to do it for but rather show me and then I can do it myself.

NanaMacGeek Sun 18-Sep-16 23:09:41

Hello Mary, try not to get too worried about getting support. There are many ways of getting help if you need it - if you need to know something, all you have to do is put your question together with the model name of your tablet into a google query. Someone else has nearly always asked the same question as you and there are plenty of clear, concise instructions to help (also some rubbish ones, just pay attention to the ones you understand). You could ask on the GN Technology forum as well. If you are near an Apple store, you can make an appointment there - they are very helpful. I recently spent hours on the phone to Apple support, they rang me so it cost me nothing, they were determined to sort me out. I have no experience of Samsung tablets though, there are a few stores dotted around the country where you can get support for their tablets face to face, you may have to rely more on telephone support with them rather than visiting them, it depends where you live. I'm afraid most technology companies assume their customers are already familiar with the technology, hence online purchasing is the norm. Good luck with your purchase.

yogagran Mon 19-Sep-16 14:37:03

I've had a Samsung tablet NanaMG and I've never found the need for practical support. Like you - I've relied on Google for the odd occasion when I wonder how to do a particular task but tablets these days are so intuitive that anyone can manage without someone leaning over their shoulder to show the way

path20 Wed 21-Sep-16 07:10:28

If anyone has an HP printer they have a brilliant scheme called Instant Ink which saves a lot of money on ink. For £1.99 per month you can print fifty pages or photographs. If you don't use the allowance of fifty the remainder roll over to the next month.It is so good if you use your printer a lot.
We had a brilliant Epsom printer before this HP one but it used to cost a fortune in ink.

support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03760650