Gransnet forums

Education

Denied toilet break

(169 Posts)
lexisgran Fri 28-Apr-17 10:28:58

My Daughter was telling me the other night that my granddaughter, 6 after lunchtime at school asked to go to the toilet and the teacher said you should have gone at lunch. she asked again later on and said she was desperate but was still refused.
She was absolutely bursting when she came to meet my daughter having waited nearly 2 hours

she is unsure whether to have a word? or is it common?

vampirequeen Mon 08-May-17 16:45:18

"A girl asked if she could nip to the loo as she came in from lunch, I explained that she should have gone at lunch and the answer was no. She did ask again later on and said she was really desperate,but i stuck to my guns and said no, she hung on until the end of the day"

You said in an earlier post that if they tell you they're desperate you let them go. Now you say you didn't let her go.

Anya Mon 08-May-17 16:47:10

Riverwalk grin

vicwarren Mon 08-May-17 16:48:31

Ana

Apology accepted I am a women.

riverwalk,

No of course they didn't synchronize their toilet breaks, they were just messing about, I doubt the boy I let out even needed the toilet.

Anya Mon 08-May-17 16:49:22

Synchronise.

Anya Mon 08-May-17 16:50:30

Usually UK.

vicwarren Mon 08-May-17 16:54:01

Vampire

Under normal circumstances I would have. However taking into account what happened with the boy I decided against it. It was only 25 minutes until the end of the day when the girl made the second request

Ana Mon 08-May-17 16:58:29

Only 25 minutes...for a Year 5 child? hmm

mcem Mon 08-May-17 17:00:30

My classes didn't seem to see the situation as a challenge!
As I sent them out at break-time I reminded them to go. As they lined up to return to class I suggested that anyone who needed to go should do so on the way to class. By the time the others had hung up coats and settled the 'stragglers'had caught up and no more than a minute or two was wasted.

Well worth it to avoid creating unnecessary confrontation.

On the very rare occasion that someone did actually have to go I simply asked them to be as quick as possible.

And yes anya out staff saw teaching as a higher priority than patrolling corridors to catch escapees!

Riverwalk Mon 08-May-17 17:05:41

I do hope that you're not really a teacher, just a wind-up merchant getting a rise from a bunch of grannies.

The girl's request was her first - why should she be punished because a boy was running down the corridor?

Are not some 10 year-old girls menstruating?

mcem Mon 08-May-17 17:09:08

Seems yours is an odd school in a few ways vic.
Don't remember being free to post on social media between 4 and 4.30!

vicwarren Mon 08-May-17 17:47:09

Ana 25 minutes is not that long, also it came an hour and half after the initial request so figured she would be able to wait another 25 minutes, most 10 year old should manage a couple of hours without a wee

Ana Mon 08-May-17 17:51:37

Are you some sort of sadist, vicwarren? So the poor girl had waited an hour and a half after asking to go to the toilet and asked again - but no! You decided to punish her further...hmm

Anya Mon 08-May-17 18:18:09

Of course it's a wind-up. Too many inconsistencies and lack of knowledge of school procedures,

mcem Mon 08-May-17 18:44:24

Has to be a windup - no reasonable school would tolerate the idiosyncrasies of one teacher who's out to score points over pupils!

Ana Mon 08-May-17 18:46:23

Still think it's a man/boy...

Annaexteach Thu 11-May-17 09:34:21

I used to teach year 2 and would not let them go to the toilet during class.

The children had an afternoon playtime though, and the longest they went without a toilet break was an hour an half. I certainly would not have made a child wait 2 hours

grannyof3 Thu 11-May-17 15:19:32

My daughter is a teacher, and its the schools policy that they are not to go to the toilet during lessons. She says she feels uneasy sometimes telling them they cannot go for a wee, but that they seem to be ok with it.

I Personally feel its wrong an had it been a member of my family I would have complained

primaryteacher Fri 12-May-17 21:27:51

I teach year 2 and never let them go to the toilet the lessons immediately after a break, but will let them go if they ask twice at any other time. Only one boy and girl allowed at a time