Gransnet forums

Education

Communication enhanced by use of emojis says professor of linguistics

(30 Posts)
Baggs Sat 15-Jul-17 06:53:16

That written communications are enhanced by the use of emojis has been endorsed by a former professor of linguistics at Bangor University, Vyvyan Evans: "“Emojis are actually making us more effective communicators in the digital communicative space because they’re filling in something that’s actually missing . . . the non-verbal cues that tell us how the message should be interpreted.”

He says that people who pooh-pooh emoji use "don't understand how communication works."

Marydoll Thu 15-Feb-24 23:21:33

Callistemon21

And some who post no more ☹

I was just thinking about one of the posters the other day.
She was a really clever lady, a witty and entertaining poster.
A few years ago, she sent me a PM to say she had been diagnosed with Alzheimers and would no longer be posting. 😪
So many former entertaining posters missing. ☹

SeaWoozle Thu 15-Feb-24 23:14:43

Admittedly I use them quite a lot, in particular with my children!

My partner is blind and has talking software on his phone. It makes us smile when he gets a header on an email with the description of the emojis afterwards.

One Easter in particular we had a right giggle when his phone read out...

Happy Easter, Rabbit Face.

🤣🤣🐇🐰🐇

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Feb-24 23:11:56

And some who post no more ☹

Marydoll Thu 15-Feb-24 23:08:20

Some of us are on the 🏀 ⚽️ 🏐 ⚾️, others not so much. 💤 😴

It was the usernames of the second and third posters, which alerted me. 😉🤔
They are still on GN, but not with those usernames.

nanna8 Thu 15-Feb-24 22:48:16

👎

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Feb-24 22:18:17

Marydoll

*GSM*, are you the only poster, who realised this thread is from 2017?

Old news.😂

📰 😴 😄

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Feb-24 22:16:21

25Avalon

I read, probably dreaded DM, that us older folk try to use emojis but often get it wrong.

😲
What a cheek!

Marydoll Thu 15-Feb-24 22:14:51

GSM, are you the only poster, who realised this thread is from 2017?

Old news.😂

25Avalon Thu 15-Feb-24 21:40:50

I read, probably dreaded DM, that us older folk try to use emojis but often get it wrong.

Iam64 Thu 15-Feb-24 14:48:45

😵‍💫🌞🙃👍🏻😂

Chestnut Thu 15-Feb-24 14:47:26

MawBroon

I expect that in time we will come to communicate entirely by emoji and our language will resemble the hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt hmm

We are already there.......

biglouis Thu 15-Feb-24 13:43:26

When Im texting my smartphone often comes up with a series of suggesated emojis to use at the end of a message. Sometimes they are useful but I would never use them in a business communication.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 15-Feb-24 13:30:22

Reported.

ACampbell Thu 15-Feb-24 13:21:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

rosesarered Sat 15-Jul-17 12:53:02

...and a ?

Jalima1108 Sat 15-Jul-17 12:48:36

?‍??‍?????????

Some people are just so much cleverer than others with emojis - but at least I can cut and paste wink

Time for brewandcupcake

MawBroon Sat 15-Jul-17 11:28:08

I don't agree that facial expression is essential. We have for years and years listened to plays, dramas, comedy programmes, news programmes and all of that on the RADIO and the human voice is capable of a depth of expression which you seem to ignore.
Let's not get into the argument about burkas/niqabs etc.

Antonia Sat 15-Jul-17 11:24:18

I find it sad that women feel they have to wear burkas or niqabs. Of course I am sure that some women want to wear burkas etc and they are not being coerced, but nevertheless, they can't express themselves well or convey much meaning. A great deal of communication is through body language and facial expression and nearly all of this is lost by the all enveloping garments.

grannysue05 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:31:29

We are discussing tone, interpretation and intention via text messages....so we add numerous little faces conveying our meaning.
Which brings me to the question of burkas and niqabs. How can these women whose faces are so completely concealed, convey their meaning to anyone?

devongirl Sat 15-Jul-17 10:08:19

I do think actually that emojis are useful because it can be very difficult to convey tone just using text, which can lead to the recipient misunderstanding the tone..

devongirl Sat 15-Jul-17 10:07:20

Maw it can be an entertaining experience to see how much you can write using emojis wherever possible! (Sad, I know..)

rosesarered Sat 15-Jul-17 09:55:09

It's because we can't see other faces when we type.The whole tone of a post can be changed by an emoji.

I like your post! smile
I like your post! grin
I like your post! angry

MawBroon Sat 15-Jul-17 09:50:11

I expect that in time we will come to communicate entirely by emoji and our language will resemble the hieroglyphics of ancient Egypt hmm

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-Jul-17 09:09:13

I totally agree. The use of an appropriate emoji can change the whole tone of a text .

Cherrytree59 Sat 15-Jul-17 08:27:13

I would agree,
My main communication to friends and family is via text (free text minutes)
Text messages tend be short so the emoji gives clues to how to interpret the message.

Having had to deal a lot with workmen last year I found that when texting the electrician, builder etc even though I was being
very bossy constructive with a long to do lists a little smile face at the end of the message seemed to keep them on side.
And obviously copious amount of tea and cake (also good emoji for a little bribery).

I often receive text messages from my hairdresser or the Cattery lady etc who end their text with a X.
I find sending x's to acquaintance slightly odd so I usually end with asmile