Gransnet forums

Education

School issues

(88 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 29-Dec-17 12:03:00

Some of you may remember the problems encountered regarding schooling when a parent was too ill to take the child.
The school told me that they weren't bothered about grandson missing days, as they knew the circumstances.
We had a mentoring charity helping us for the last little while, which was sadly, too late. However, when my grandson finished school for Christmas, he came home with a letter addressed to his mum, at her address.
Considering I have informed the school that circumstances have changed, do you think its reasonable to request a meeting to ask how on earth such a thing has happened?

trisher Tue 13-Mar-18 10:24:34

MissA How dreadful for you. You have had such a struggle. I don't understand what is going on in your GS's school. Sometimes schools are incompetent and things slip through, but usually they do act when pushed. You seem to have somewhere not only incompetent but totally insensitive. I am totally ashamed to have ever been a member of the same profession as these people. Stay strong and do let us know if you ever get good news.

silverlining48 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:04:31

Oh MissA, what a struggle that you should never have had to go through. Shame on that school. I hope your latest letter might improve things. flowers

MissAdventure Mon 12-Mar-18 22:12:05

Thank you, Faye, and as an extra P.S to the thread, I had to phone the school 2 weeks ago, to ask why I hadn't ever received a text or email from them.
A recorded delivery letter went off to the headmistress on Friday last week, informing her.

Faye Mon 12-Mar-18 22:07:14

I have only just read this thread. I am so sorry to read about your daughter MissAdventure. flowers

trisher Mon 12-Mar-18 20:30:39

I agree with eazybee nothing will come of taking a combative stance with the schol right now. They may well ask why you didn't check her homework and spot that she wasn't doing well.As for her behaviour in school if I had a pound for every time a parent has told me their child wasn't something or other I'd be worth a fortune She's started a new school she sounds as if she is making her mark by behaving badly. Talk to her, but present a united front with the school. A home school book is a great idea.

eazybee Mon 12-Mar-18 19:26:56

Is there a form tutor/class teacher/personal tutor, Head of House you can liaise with regularly?
Is there a home school book you and the school can write comments in?
Is there a plan for improvement with targets to be met?

You have been informed of her poor performance and now it is up to you to work with the school to help her improve .
Ignore 'the teachers picking on her' for the moment; focus on her disruptive behaviour in class and insist she tells you why.
Whatever you do, work with the school, not against them; that is unproductive.

Nadcho Mon 12-Mar-18 17:22:39

Hello guys
I have gone through few post on this forum thought of sharing my issue and getting some feed back and suggestions my issue with secondary school of my daughter.

My daughter has been in secondary school since September 2017 and this February we had her report send to us by school for last 5 months . And what we saw in report was completely shocking , her academic performance was really low , and her ATL was extremely bad . So has parent thought of fixing meeting with school to find out more about the issue . But when went for meeting there was no constructive or productive solution by school .
Issue which I raised with school after speaking to my daughter

1) why were parents not connected when her performance was going down , the only way we found out about this is my report from school after 5 months

2) what has school done to support her to improve her performance level .

3) The other thing which was reflected in report was my daughter is really chatty and not focused . But her she was never like this in fact she is very committed, self motivated , enthusiastic and very compatative kid

4) we feel some of the teachers are picking on her and she is blamed for anything and everything that happens in class.

During our meeting nothing came out I’m thinking of escalating this further any advice will highly appreciate.

Thanks

Nadcho Mon 12-Mar-18 17:21:12

Hello guys
I have gone through few post on this forum thought of sharing my issue and getting some feed back and suggestions my issue with secondary school of my daughter.

My daughter has been in secondary school since September 2017 and this February we had her report send to us by school for last 5 months . And what we saw in report was completely shocking , her academic performance was really low , and her ATL was extremely bad . So has parent thought of fixing meeting with school to find out more about the issue . But when went for meeting there was no constructive or productive solution by school .
Issue which I raised with school after speaking to my daughter

1) why were parents not connected when her performance was going down , the only way we found out about this is my report from school after 5 months

2) what has school done to support her to improve her performance level .

3) The other thing which was reflected in report was my daughter is really chatty and not focused . But her she was never like this in fact she is very committed, self motivated , enthusiastic and very compatative kid

4) we feel some of the teachers are picking on her and she is blamed for anything and everything that happens in class.

During our meeting nothing came out I’m thinking of escalating this further any advice will highly appreciate.

Thanks

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 05-Jan-18 01:35:59

Glad to hear things are getting sorted after your efforts. New Year, new term, let's hope things go well for you and your DGS from now on. flowers

grannyactivist Fri 05-Jan-18 01:17:33

Not sure how I missed this thread MissA, but I would have said pretty much the same as others did and I'm so glad that this ongoing difficulty is on the way to being sorted at last. It was very brave of you to persevere and not let this slide. You'll never know about it, but some time in the future you may just have helped another young person at the school who has suffered a bereavement from having to go through similar difficulties. flowers

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 01:03:24

smile thank you.

Elrel Fri 05-Jan-18 00:57:38

Well done - wishing you and GS all the best for the future. ?

OurKid1 Thu 04-Jan-18 08:50:50

Excellent work MissA! As someone else said, it's a pity the HT tried to offload some of the blame on to you ... but all round I'd say that's a result. I hope lessons have been learned and that they behave very differently in future. x

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jan-18 22:09:38

Me too, Marydoll. The things outlined today are just the tip of the iceberg really, but hopefully today has ironed some things out, and made clear that I meant what I said. Even if I did blub..
Again, thank you all.

Marydoll Wed 03-Jan-18 22:04:54

MissAdventure , well done! I hope things improve from now on. I was horrified at the way the school dealt with your family.

OldMeg Wed 03-Jan-18 21:46:18

Well done MissAdventure. Now the HT and the school know exactly what the situation is and that a feisty gran is on the case.

NannyTee Wed 03-Jan-18 19:27:09

Congrats MissAdventure . What a weight lifted for you. Well done x

silverlining48 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:22:53

Thanks missA happy to have helped. Well do ne for saying what needed to be said, you should be pleased with yourself. I hope things improve at school from now on. However like other g/ netters, am not impressed with the head. X

Iam64 Wed 03-Jan-18 18:57:43

Well done Miss Adventure, it's so tough to face up to those who have behaved badly and misused their power. I've been shocked and distressed to read of your experiences with your grandsons school and I admire the way you've held it together and challenged where necessary without losing your cool. Here's hoping the head teacher now takes a more effective lead in meeting your grandsons holistic needs. Her comment that you'd declined to attend a meeting made me so cross!

trisher Wed 03-Jan-18 18:39:20

Oh well done MissAdventure congratulations.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jan-18 18:31:59

Well done to you people. I wouldn't have done it without a push, and it would have festered: my resentment would have grown, and that's no good for anybody. smile
You've no idea how much of a help you've been.
Also, special thanks to silverlining48 who has been helping me too, quietly though, because she has the lurgy. flowers

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Jan-18 17:57:04

Well done MissAdventure, you were strong and stood up to her.
I still think that the attitude of the Head and the school was and is less than acceptable and that you need a wholehearted apology from her on behalf of all those who failed to support you all.

However, let's hope their attitude will be better in future and that they will be much more supportive.
(Otherwise we will be marching again)

Cold Wed 03-Jan-18 17:48:47

Well done!

Maggiemaybe Wed 03-Jan-18 17:12:36

Well done, MissAdventure, for being so strong when you were feeling so vulnerable. I too think the Head could have just apologised wholeheartedly without being defensive, but you've put the record straight and set the scene for improvements to the school systems, not just for your grandson, but for any other child who needs support. flowers

BlueBelle Wed 03-Jan-18 17:06:27

Phew well done MissAdventure