Gransnet forums

Education

Am I mad? PG study in my 50s

(100 Posts)
NannaBanana Wed 21-Mar-18 11:44:32

I’m attending a postgraduate open evening today. I’ve always enjoyed using my brain, and there is a course that really appeals to me. If it went well, there are strong indications it could be extended to a PhD. But I am old (late 50s). Am I deluding myself? Has anyone else here started a university course in their 50s or 60s? I’d love to hear your experience.

Alexa Thu 22-Mar-18 10:23:25

Banana, you may be too old to earn money from your efforts. This possibly does not matter to you. Certainly you should do it if you have the money to pay for it. You need to do it! Depending on what the subject is you may be better at it than a youth could be.

Teddy123 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:30:31

50 sounds young to me! Go for it!!

littleflo Thu 22-Mar-18 10:41:12

My husband did an OU course when he retired at 62. He had left schol at 15 with just an Art O level. He really enjoyed his course, studied well and got very high marks. I think he was more proud of that achievement than anything else he had done,

Biddysue Thu 22-Mar-18 10:44:25

I did an OU degree whilst in my late 30 s and thought I was old then but after attending lectures and sitting in exam rooms next to people who were way older than me, the oldest I met was a lovely chap of 78 who was planning on doing another degree after the current one, l realised that age has no bearing at all in education and whatever age you are it just a matter of going for it !
I hope you enjoy your course and I wish you success.

Coco51 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:50:02

Go for it! I got my degree at the age of 61.

goldengirl Thu 22-Mar-18 10:51:03

Two of the concerns that some older people have is that they won't be able to keep up or that they will be so much older than others in the group. My answer to that would be 'so what?' Perhaps I was lucky but the young people in my group when I did an 'O' level [before I did a Masters] were very accepting - especially when I got the highest marks grin

goldengirl Thu 22-Mar-18 10:55:16

And just to add: I was a real dunce at school. Couldn't see the point; cried over homework I found difficult; failed most of my 'O' levels etc etc. It goes to show that if you're interested in a subject, you'll enjoy it and make the effort.

SunnySusie Thu 22-Mar-18 10:59:55

Wow what an amazing thread! You are all such stars. My Dad started an Open University degree age 65 having gone straight into the Forces from school with no qualifications, then he graduated in his 70s. It was hard work, but he loved it! I really admired him. He had been an engineer, but he studied arts subjects and ended up tutoring Art Appreciation courses for U3A well into his eighties. He even took a class to New York to visit the art museums. It gave him a great purpose in life and a huge amount of enjoyment.

maryhoffman37 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:03:10

Late 50s is not old! I am 73 next month, still working, and when I reached 70 started a publishing house. Of course you shoul do it. You probably have 30+ years left.

W1chhada Thu 22-Mar-18 11:05:28

I did an MA at Birkbeck and then a Ph.D at QMUL which I completed at 70 years of age. My subject was Medieval History - not my undergraduate course of many years ago. I had to learn about databases, Word, how to reference etc etc and I found this hard but invigorating.
Most importantly, I discovered my passion both for research and for my particular area of study; I became acquainted with some extraordinary intellects and shared their insights. All in all, a privilege and wonderful experience.
Just do it - you will find plenty of other mature students; witness a casual remark I made to a college administrator that I would be the oldest participant at the upcoming graduation ceremony. ‘You’re a mere youngster’ came the reply, ‘our oldest Ph.D is 92’.

Genevieve489 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:06:08

No, you're never too old. I left school with one GCE. I began studying for a degree in my forties. Then I got an MA and, finally, an MPhil when I was in my fifties. I loved every minute of it and I'm sure you will too. Go for it!

ajanela Thu 22-Mar-18 11:09:06

Late 50,s thats young.

Before you start the course put those ageist thoughts out of your head.

appygran Thu 22-Mar-18 11:11:15

Thanks for this motivating thread . I am in awe of some of your achievements. At almost 70 I have been thinking about studying for an MA in Gender studies and wondering if I am too old. I put off doing it in my forties because of work and family commitments, maybe now is the right time to do something just for me.

chattykathy Thu 22-Mar-18 11:17:27

May I ask how much the degrees cost? Is it still the £9k per year students generally pay? If so, do you have a student loan? smile

newnanny Thu 22-Mar-18 11:20:59

No such thing as too old to learn. You will enjoy the challenge and have time to figure it all out whereas young learners often are trying to do part time jobs at the same time. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

David1968 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:47:04

As everyone here says, just go for it! I used to teach at degree level & I found that older students are a delight. They are always truly interested in their chosen study areas and they take on board the commitment they are making. One question you might want to ask, is just how much of the course relies on modern technology, (as opposed to "face to face" contact) because this is now a major "learning tool" in higher education. (And perhaps ask what "tutor support" is available in the form of a real person.) Good luck!

BRedhead59 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:53:30

NEVER too old
At 65 I've done numerous OU Future Learn courses - they are excellent. Keep your mind active - Good luck and have fun.

Jeannie59 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:11:32

I did an access course with the OU 2 years ago and didn't go any further, I originally wanted to do psychology and counselling.
But thought by the time I do the degree I will be too old to counsell.
But I think about going back to studying with the OU all the time. Scared of the debt and failing., also exams.
I m 62.

FarNorth Thu 22-Mar-18 12:20:28

If you can't afford it, Jeannie59, that is a shame.
Done let fear of failing, or exams, put you off. If the worst happens, at least you'd know you gave it your best shot.
I don't think you'd be too old to counsel, but are there other non-degree courses in counselling, that you could consider and that wouldn't take so long?

kwest Thu 22-Mar-18 12:20:38

I started a counselling course when I was 54 and qualified when I was 57. I am 70 now and I still see clients and feel passionate and enthusiastic about the work. I only wish I had started 30 years earlier. I used to look at the prospectus every year when my family were growing up and I was working in our family business. The fees were really expensive and when money was needed for so many things with a growing family I thought it would always be an unachievable dream. Then one year I saw a 'taster' six week course advertised in the early summer at a very reasonable price. Joining it was the best thing I ever did . Nothing could have stopped me from finding the fees for the proper course. I joined the main course in the September. I fell so lucky to have spent the last 16 years following my passion.

Shelagh6 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:58:17

I cannot believe all seem to think they are old in their 50’s!!
I am well into my ‘80’s and I do wonder if I’d be given a chance - doubt it!!!

nannypiano Thu 22-Mar-18 13:00:11

I have never been brave enough to apply for a degree, because have never considered myself clever enough. but during my fifties I did evening classes to gain a grade 5 theory of music, then did a psychology course. The best thing I have ever done. So go for it. You will be so glad you did.

Carobel Thu 22-Mar-18 13:27:42

You should take the course. I started my undergraduate course at 62. I’m doing an MA module this next academic year and I’m brushing up on my French, it keeps you young !

susanb Thu 22-Mar-18 13:36:55

Definitely not too old! My father graduated with an OU degree when he was eighty. Because he had interests and never allowed himself to vegetate he always seemed much younger than he really was. Go for it!

Mapleleaf Thu 22-Mar-18 13:42:42

I think you will have got the message from all the responses, NannaBanana?
It's never too late, and if you can afford it, do it. Good luck.