Gransnet forums

Education

Zero Tolerance

(34 Posts)
BRedhead59 Thu 17-Jan-19 09:58:21

Any views on 'zero tolerance' in schools?

BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:52:41

There is an all-school policy of zero tolerance to both drugs and bullying here in New Zealand but I'm afraid both still go on.

Davidhs Mon 28-Jan-19 08:07:51

Back in those days there weren’t labels put on children that set them aside from others which today seem to be the root of much of the bullying today. The slow learners were just that for whatever reason, in many cases all they needed was a pair of spectacles or a home situation where they could do homework properly.
I haven’t moved far in my life so I still see regularly a good many school mates, some at the top end made a lot of money, (millions), the middle ranking ones that got apprentiships in trades are house owners, at the lower end the ability to turn up on time and concentrate through the day has been the key.
The one condition that has caused most problems is attention deficit, dyslexics have done quite well, most have good verbal and practical skills.

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 08:18:44

Make up your mind David

First you say
Back in the 1960s I went to a bog standard Seconday Modern school, all abilities and backgrounds. There were plenty with dyslexia, dyspraxia and other, mental disabilities including cerebral palsy, there was never any problem with discipline because standards were strict and enforced

Then you say there were never any ‘labels put on children’ ? You seem very confused.

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 08:54:58

Labels or, as we like to call them, ' a diagnosis' should not make a difference to how kids are treated by friends. If a kid has ADHD his behaviour will be the same before and after diagnosis. However if after diagnosis he is suitable for medication his behaviour will settle & make it easier to study and learn.
Just by naming a condition does not automatically create a change in behavours or others' attitudes!

trisher Mon 28-Jan-19 10:43:31

My son was "labelled" thank goodness! He is dyslexic and finding out that he wasn't stupid but his brain works slightly differently to most was one of the best things and enabled him to get help and go to Uni. I wonder how many of the dyslexic children. in your school went to university Davidhs? And if any finished up in prison where the percentage of dyslexics is huge

M0nica Mon 28-Jan-19 13:38:31

I am sorry, David I must disagree with you again. I got bullied verbally and physically at school. I was generally considered odd, and I had a medical condition. You didn't need a label in the 1950s, the bullies knew who you were.

Alexa Mon 28-Jan-19 15:17:12

David, your old school obviously was good at discipline . I did initial teacher training in the 70s where progressive methods were favoured. There was no clash between good discipline and progressive methods, quite the opposite in fact. Basic discipline, that's to say basic training in good manners, has to be accomplished before progressive moral education is taught and learned.

I am not a great fan of school uniforms but there are good arguments in their favour.

NanaandGrampy Tue 29-Jan-19 14:48:39

Strange - the OP didn’t comment or put her view out there ?