Gransnet forums

Education

You Are Never Too Old To Learn

(56 Posts)
VisionaryDreamer Fri 17-May-19 21:05:58

Hi, I hear so many people at midlife say they are too old to learn something new, to go back to college or university to study and retrain for a new career/life path, or even just for personal interest. Or they get told by other people they are too old.
I want to say...you are never ever too old to learn a new skill whether it is for your own personal development or whether it for professional development.
In my 40's I decided to change my career having worked predominately as a secretary/account assistant for much of my career life. I went back to college and retrained to become an Holistic Therapist.
In my 50's I decided to go to university to study for a degree in Complementary Healthcare and Health Studies. At the age of 59 I not only graduated but I set up my own business. My next step is to write my own book.
My grandmother wrote her first book in her 70's.
People say you cannot teach an old dog new skills...who says that is true? It is not true! For one thing we are humans capable of learning and growing all the time.
So my powerful message is you are never too old and it is too late. If you still have dreams then pursue them. Live life to the full. Bless you! smile

JeanParcks Sat 09-Mar-24 15:17:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grandmabatty Wed 02-Nov-22 13:26:18

Reported

MaksRomanov Wed 02-Nov-22 13:22:53

katemaribell Sun 25-Sep-22 21:09:48

I completely agree with the fact that learning is worth your entire conscious life. There is one very good proverb - "Age live - age learn". My parents are a great example for me, because regardless of their age, they are always learning something, taking various courses. I also try so hard to always discover something new, but because of the large number of tasks from the university. But a friend recommended me to delegate these tasks to a ghostwriting service - a team of professionals. And I use this service regularly. The order is always completed on time and the quality is high.

maxlakonsky Tue 06-Sep-22 15:02:31

Great words! Thanks for inspiration)

NannyJan53 Mon 05-Sep-22 08:00:36

Reported

carmendevin Mon 05-Sep-22 07:56:41

Franklin44 Fri 27-May-22 11:24:36

Serendipity22 Tue 24-May-22 18:38:01

VisionaryDreamer

Hi, I hear so many people at midlife say they are too old to learn something new, to go back to college or university to study and retrain for a new career/life path, or even just for personal interest. Or they get told by other people they are too old.
I want to say...you are never ever too old to learn a new skill whether it is for your own personal development or whether it for professional development.
In my 40's I decided to change my career having worked predominately as a secretary/account assistant for much of my career life. I went back to college and retrained to become an Holistic Therapist.
In my 50's I decided to go to university to study for a degree in Complementary Healthcare and Health Studies. At the age of 59 I not only graduated but I set up my own business. My next step is to write my own book.
My grandmother wrote her first book in her 70's.
People say you cannot teach an old dog new skills...who says that is true? It is not true! For one thing we are humans capable of learning and growing all the time.
So my powerful message is you are never too old and it is too late. If you still have dreams then pursue them. Live life to the full. Bless you! smile

This is rammed to the rafters with INSPIRATION ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

FANNNNNNNTASTIC ?.

Serendipity22 Tue 24-May-22 18:35:30

crZyH

Do it..... ABSOLUTELY 100000000% .... DO IT.

Writing is tremendous soul fulfilling love, its wonderful, its ecstatic, its EVERYTHING positive.

Do it ? xx

billyroberts Tue 24-May-22 18:17:13

evamckerr Thu 14-Apr-22 11:30:20

wildswan16 Tue 15-Mar-22 09:42:45

Reported

RayaNGoSS Tue 15-Mar-22 09:29:31

biglouis Mon 07-Mar-22 01:07:40

I was talking to the Tesco delivery man yesterday about people like pensioners on fixed incomes having a side hustle to bring in a bit extra with rising prices. He pointed out that not all retired people are fit enough to do cleaning, gardening, jobbing and the like. However if you have kept your mind active and have a talent for wriging or some business skills there are many jobs you can do from home - tutoring, writing short features and articles, online selling and so on.

Kim19 Fri 04-Mar-22 18:02:09

My lovely Mum used to say if you learn one new thing your day has been a success. My problem is retaining the new info! I'm told the memory has a finite capacity. What pearl would I reject to accommodate new facts? Much too complicated so I've decided to stay somewhat ignorant.

Jaxjacky Fri 04-Mar-22 15:49:23

Third time for this thread in the last three years!

biglouis Fri 04-Mar-22 15:39:02

I set up my vintage business after I retired from employed work. It involved learning a lot of new skills such as digital photography, how to post online, website design, branding and writing effective marketing descriptions. I am also teaching myself Spanish.

BDS990 Sat 18-Dec-21 12:15:13

sadel Mon 13-Dec-21 14:59:39

I completely agree - learning makes me feel more interesting, informed and confident.

I just found this website called The Garden - www.onegarden.com - which is free and they have speakers from all over the world who are mostly academics from top universities. It's not super intellectual and the speakers are amazing but I've learnt so much. They don't feel like lectures but more like having a chat with someone at a cafe.

Ro60 Wed 08-Dec-21 17:55:38

Aargh! Another old thread ?

RebeccaEd Wed 08-Dec-21 17:31:58

One of the advantages of learning something new is that you meet and chat to other people. I’m a member of the WEA (Workers’ Educational Association which is an adult education charity). During lockdown last year, the WEA started to offer short and cheap online courses (everything from astronomy to journalism) which were a great way to meet and talk to people of all ages all over the UK.
You don’t have to belong to the WEA. In January, the WEA is putting on new courses for a Festival of Literature and Heritage. One of the short courses running during the festival is: The Diversity of English through seven lenses (course no. C2423004) which celebrates the English language and explores where our rude, legal and astonishing words come from and how they got here.
Considering how many times England was invaded, it’s amazing that we don’t all speak Danish or French as our mother tongue. Do you think that the English language is a rare bloom that has become a lingua franca; or is it an invasive weed encroaching on other languages?

jvpdymipuc Sun 29-Aug-21 10:41:29

people study all their lives, so it's a pity that very few people understand this, but nevertheless it is impossible not to do without outside help, especially when it is written pro-papers.com/do-my-homework-for-me .

RuthRJ Fri 27-Mar-20 13:11:53

Thank you for sharing this story! I am also sure that education must be available for all ages. Now I have a lot of free time and want to use it productively. I listen to different online courses, read interesting educational platforms such as Samplius, where I can read a lot of free essay examples, watch videos. By the way, if I need to find new information I always surf the samplius.com/free-essay-examples/health/, it’s very convenient to have so much information in one place. So, there is plenty of ways to get new knowledge, develop yourself even if you are not a young person.

Alexa Fri 14-Feb-20 09:50:22

The last I heard about aged people like me learning is we can learn broad ideas better than we can learn facts.