Gransnet forums

Education

Home Schooling

(29 Posts)
Floradora9 Sat 25-Apr-20 19:53:35

Are your DGC enjoying home schooling are they actually doing it? There seems to be a large amount of kids who are just having an extended break and will loose out on so much important education. Our GC are bucking down to put in the work the school sets one loving the fact it is all computer based and the younger one having a bit more difficulty. They are lucky tht their dad is working from home so they see him go off to his office and work all day . One of the GC said how nice it was that there was no need to go off to all the after school things they used to do but can just please themselves . I hope the parents realise this too .

Franbern Thu 04-Mar-21 18:36:21

Misadventure my daughter has been going into school with her year 7 pupils throughout this term. They have to follow the same syllabus and lessons as those pupils who are at home. So, these are put own their own individual screens and also the large screen at front of class and she is able to move around assisting those who may need it.

They do have dedicated times for breaks, and also for PE once a week, always taken of doors.

So, those who have gone into school (children of keyworkers and those with special needs), will have done the same work, from the same lessons as those who have been at home.

Susan56 Thu 04-Mar-21 18:50:41

My DGD aged five enjoyed homeschooling.Like others she completed the work quite quickly.She has gone back to school this week and is so happy to be back with her friends.

We have two great nieces and two great nephews.The girls have worked really hard,set school 9.30-3.30 daily.They are in years 11 and 13 and are on course to have good results this summer.

The boys who are the same age have done very little.We have tried to encourage their mum to make sure they do some work but she just says they have no work.Come results day in the summer she will blame everybody but herself.

Parental involvement and encouragement has definitely affected how much work the children have done.We feel so sorry for the boys as they are both bright and have done well up to now but have literally done nothing for most of the last twelve months.

annodomini Thu 04-Mar-21 19:42:46

My two GSs, 15 and 13, have school days timetabled as if they were there in person. The older boy has been doing GCSE work and sending work in to his teachers. He should be well up to standard when he goes back next Monday. The younger one has more difficulty getting work in on time. He has a complete maths block - just as some are dyslexic, he is foxed by numbers. He's worried about returning to school in case the teachers are cross with him for not keeping up with all the work. I am sure he won't be the only one in that position. Their parents are both working - Mum is manager of a large supermarket and Dad has been working in a cabin at the end of the garden.