Gransnet forums

Education

How could the state education system improve?

(55 Posts)
Sago Fri 30-Apr-21 09:46:35

Following on from the grammar school thread, it’s got me thinking as to what changes could be put in place to improve the sate education system.

I’m not talking about money!

For example is the curriculum too broad, could the school day be a bit longer, should discipline be tighter?

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 09:56:38

Smaller classes.

Elegran Fri 30-Apr-21 10:01:22

Listening to the people at the chalk-face who actually do the teaching.

Having an ex-teacher as minister of education (but not from an expensive private school for the sons and daughters of the very affluent)

Peasblossom Fri 30-Apr-21 10:05:10

Concentrate funding on the first five years of education and getting it right there, instead of pumping money into remedial work later on.

It’s so obvious to me. We wait till they’re struggling and have given up hope.

Lucca Fri 30-Apr-21 10:07:02

Smaller classes. Less interference from on high. Less data crunching. Less levels targets etc etc.recognition that teachers by and large can think for themselves Smaller classes (by a long way).
Oh...and smaller classes.

Lucca Fri 30-Apr-21 10:07:27

Sorry....fewer levels ...

Lucca Fri 30-Apr-21 10:08:38

More teaching staff (I definitely include TAs) fewer managers.

eazybee Fri 30-Apr-21 10:18:56

Fewer changes, more evaluation (of curriculum changes, teaching methodology and infrastructure) before they are imposed on schools.
Longer and better training of teachers; in Finland all teachers are trained to MA level, which explains their consistently good results and standards; proper training of TAs, along the lines of the NNEB (nursery nurses) courses, combining lectures and work experience on a weekly basis.
Less data collection and testing; smaller classes; special needs units attached to schools.
Removal of the Academy system.
Just for starters.

Sago Fri 30-Apr-21 11:21:11

I have always felt SAT’s interfere with teaching.
A good teacher will tell you exactly how your child is progressing.
Have any teachers, ex teachers got an opinion on this?

NotSpaghetti Fri 30-Apr-21 11:26:48

1. Bring back Surestart as the first 3 years are the most important.

2. Smaller classes.

Neither can be achieved without funding.

MaizieD Fri 30-Apr-21 11:32:22

proper training of TAs, along the lines of the NNEB (nursery nurses) courses, combining lectures and work experience on a weekly basis.

This was available for years, ranging from NVs up to Level 3 and HLTA.

Having been away from the system since 2013, and knowing how much budgets have been squeezed by the tories, I don't know if such levels of training still exist for the few TAs that are left.

Perhaps if state schools were funded to a level that allowed them to offer the same opportunities as the private sector that politicians send their children to we might see a big improvement without having to tinker round the edges.

MaizieD Fri 30-Apr-21 11:33:19

Sorry, my 'Q' doesn't always work. That should, of course, be 'NVQs'

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Apr-21 11:41:31

Leave teaching to the teachers and unqualified politicians stay out of it.

Ellianne Fri 30-Apr-21 11:46:01

Sago

I have always felt SAT’s interfere with teaching.
A good teacher will tell you exactly how your child is progressing.
Have any teachers, ex teachers got an opinion on this?

I agree, not worth wasting lots of time on them.
We were lucky we didn't have to do them! grin

greenlady102 Fri 30-Apr-21 11:49:02

more emphasis on learning less emphasis on passing tests and exams. When I was at school and dinosaurs roamed the earth, We were taught at shcool that the only use for in house exams was to teach you how to to public exams and the only use for public exams was to get you on to the next level of whatever training or education you had chosen. Nowadays it seems that children and schools are judged on how many exams are passed and how many a grades. All it means is that college and uni requirements go up putting more pressure on the kids.

Kali2 Fri 30-Apr-21 11:53:44

NotSpaghetti

1. Bring back Surestart as the first 3 years are the most important.

2. Smaller classes.

Neither can be achieved without funding.

This. Thanks.

Class size is absolutely crucial. Which is why so many choose private education. As long as those with means and influence can by-pass the large sizes, poor funding , etc- nothing will be done.

In countries where private education is more or less unknown- those with means and influence make sure class sizes are kept loe, and proper funding given- for their children- and for all children. The same applies to health care.

M0nica Fri 30-Apr-21 12:09:49

Lots of people say 'smaller classes'. How many does that mean. I knew someone who taught in a school with small classes, thta they found it very borinf and prefered the standard class size.

Make sure, one way or another, that all children are well nourished, well dressed and have had enough sleep.

Kali2 Fri 30-Apr-21 12:12:57

Too small, 10 or less children, is not positive. But over 27, and certainly over 30, is just impossible.

So 18 to 25 max. What do you call 'standard size'? Over 30?

Ellianne Fri 30-Apr-21 12:13:47

I would say class size of 20 M0nica. Higher than that and each additional child is like having 3 or 4 more. Below 16 and it doesn't work either.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Apr-21 12:17:42

Galaxy

Smaller classes.

Absolutely. This is the main reason why DD left teaching. That and the lack of money for even basic things like text books. She started teaching in the Blair years and said teaching was a joy back then. She’s a great loss to the profession as well, being totally dedicated: probably too much so.

Peasblossom Fri 30-Apr-21 12:19:23

As an Infant teacher I always felt that 24 children with a Classroom assistant was about right.

But that was before inclusion and the high number of children needing individual help that most Early Years classes now have.

Inclusion was a worthy principle. In practice it’s meant large classes of young children, several with complex needs and often only one adult for about half the time.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Apr-21 12:36:49

I was educated in Scotland late 40's and 50's where the class size was 44 but the discipline very harsh. I think sheer fright got me through the 11+ with an A grade. Admittedly there was also a stick dangling in the form of a new bike from a great aunt. A beautiful green Raleigh.

Oldbat1 Fri 30-Apr-21 12:41:07

Classes of 20 instead of 30. Do away with sats as I’m not sure what they achieve. Teachers know their children and how they are progressing. The children themselves also know. Ensure any government education minister has a proper working knowledge of the education systems.

Angstridden2 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:58:16

A few years ago there was a study which proved that there was no advantage to childrens’ learning in smaller classes....strange that the government research should show this when every teacher I have ever known would love smaller classes! The powers that be seem to have money to spare on endless initiatives, most of which have been tried and discarded in the past.

. Classes of around 23 at primary, better support for the increasing number of children with ever more demanding SEN would really improve things for teachers and pupils. Won’t happen though, it would cost too much which is why people decamp to the private sector.

MaizieD Fri 30-Apr-21 15:01:26

Oh, Please!

Give them the same funding that the private sector gets.