Gransnet forums

Education

Children in nursery and even KS1 still in nappies!

(56 Posts)
MerylStreep Fri 22-Oct-21 18:50:19

Riverwalk

I'm surprised that you're surprised and shocked at this - it's been discussed for at least the past 10 years!

What Riverwalk said. Nothing new.

Riverwalk Fri 22-Oct-21 18:47:00

I'm surprised that you're surprised and shocked at this - it's been discussed for at least the past 10 years!

sodapop Fri 22-Oct-21 18:44:34

5-7 year old children should definitely be out of nappies, I don't think this is something teachers should have to be dealing with.

blue25 Fri 22-Oct-21 18:43:57

Don’t be judgemental. They may have unidentified SEN. Anxiety or physical problems can also be an issue.

MamaCaz Fri 22-Oct-21 18:40:34

I think it must be because both parents are usually working full time these days, so even when the nursery is on board too, it is a much more difficult process than it was when a child was being looked after on a one-to-one basis (usually with the mother).

Lock down helped with my youngest dgc in that respect. Because of it, she wasn't in nursery as she approached two, so we and her parents managed to get her out of nappies. She didn't find it easy, and I am pretty certain that we would have had to abort our efforts if she had still been going to nursery for part of the week.

Kali2 Fri 22-Oct-21 18:24:41

Quite surprised (shocked...) to hear a Head saying on the BBC News that staff have to deal with children still in nappies, not only in nursery, but Key Stage 1, 5 to 7 years old and beyond, and not children with SNeeds.