Gransnet forums

Education

Learning languages with Duolingo

(167 Posts)
StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 07:14:45

Duolingo is a facility for language learning, some of duolingo is free.

I learned of duolingo from a post in the following thread.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/education/1313001-Have-any-of-you-done-any-structured-learning-recently

This thread is to discuss duolingo please.

LINK > www.duolingo.com/

Please note that at start up that the choice of several languages is displayed, but there are many more.

Clicking on the > symbol that is at the right side of those choices displays more choices.

Marydoll Fri 22-Jul-22 07:22:07

Many of us on here are daily participants of Duolinguo, SD.
My DH has a three year, unbroken, daily record for Italian and Portuguese.
He and my SIL are in competition with each other!
I just tend to drop in and out of the languages I studied, as a refresher.

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 07:24:38

I have started to learn Welsh from the beginning.

I have tested my existing knowledge of Esperanto, French and Latin. Although I got some forward placement for each of them, to various extents, I am starting to proceed through them from the start so as to reinforce what I know and to learn other things.

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 07:31:07

I have been using duolingo for six days, some each day.

I have been given some lingots.

What can one get with lingots if one gets lots of them please?

Also I get XP scores. I am not sure what those are. Can someone explain please?

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jul-22 07:42:49

I used it a few years ago to improve my French, but gave up when I reached a level which would cost to continue. It may have changed since,

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 07:46:55

I have also had a look at Spanish, as a beginner.

Blondiescot Fri 22-Jul-22 07:56:04

I've been learning Turkish with Duolingo - very proud of my 2098 day streak! I'm not entirely sure that you could become fluent in a language just by using Duolingo alone, but it's certainly helped me learn to a degree where I can understand people and make myself understood! It came in very handy when we stayed in a little hotel where we were the only non-Turkish people (including the staff) and they spoke very little English. I'm sure I give our Turkish friends a laugh with my efforts at conversation from time to time, but I also know that they do very much appreciate that I'm at least attempting to learn.
I also dabbled in the Scottish Gaelic course for a while when I was a bit bored during lockdown.

Oldnproud Fri 22-Jul-22 08:10:53

StarDreamer

I have been using duolingo for six days, some each day.

I have been given some lingots.

What can one get with lingots if one gets lots of them please?

Also I get XP scores. I am not sure what those are. Can someone explain please?

The lingots can be used to 'buy' things.

The most useful of the things you can buy is a 'streak freeze', which allows you to miss a day of practice on DuoLingo without losing your tally of consecutive days practice.
For a lot of people (me included), that tally is a good motivation for doing a little bit of practice every day, which is very important if you are serious about learning a language.

I'm not sure what else you can use them for now, if anything, though at one time you could use some lingots to 'buy' a different costume for the owl that keeps appearing on your screen!

I've just had to look up myself what the XP (experience points) are. Basically, they are just a measure of how many lessons you have completed. I ignore them, as I am more bothered about actually learning what's in a lesson than rushing through a huge number just to get more points.

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 08:18:36

Yes, I think that trying the first lesson of a language of which one has no prior knowledge at all is interesting. I find it fascinating how different languages express diffeent things, more words, fewer words, word order. Some languages, for example Esperanto and Welsh having no indefinite article. Many readers will know that in English that the word 'a' before a consonant and 'an' before a vowel, is the indefinite article.

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 08:20:53

Thank you, Oldnproud.

MawtheMerrier Fri 22-Jul-22 08:26:13

Many readers will know that in English that the word 'a' before a consonant and 'an' before a vowel, is the indefinite article
How patronising!
And many grannies also know how to suck eggs!.

kircubbin2000 Fri 22-Jul-22 08:28:33

The odd thing about it is that it can be like a puzzle to solve. I tried Greek and got good scores by working out what the answers might be but I still couldn't read or understand any Greek.

Ailidh Fri 22-Jul-22 08:28:51

Currently on a 703 day streak learning Gaelic. Probably the language of my forebears, although not recent ones. It's been fascinating to learn a language so outside my previous experience (French, Latin, German, Russian).

JackyB Fri 22-Jul-22 08:50:38

I am on my 511th day of Polish. I find all the different ways of scoring confusing. You have your hearts, OK I get them, you can't make more than 5 mistakes per lesson. Then I discovered gems. You need 100 of these to buy your way into the purple levels of each section. I have read about Lingots in the discussions on each question but have no idea what they do, how you get them or where they are recorded. Then there are XP, which are points you score for each lesson. Recently I have seen that I have crowns, the purpose of which also escapes me.

The annoying thing is that recently without warning all the discussions are "locked" so you can't ask any questions. I suspect this may only be in the app and if I go on to the website I might learn more but I'm in no hurry and my slow progress doesn't bother me.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jul-22 08:59:10

JackyB if I were to learn a language it would probably be Polish.
A gentleman that I randomly met in Waterstones told me that for English speakers, Polish was one of the hardest languages to learn.
What are your thoughts?

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 09:00:25

MawtheMerrier

^Many readers will know that in English that the word 'a' before a consonant and 'an' before a vowel, is the indefinite article^
How patronising!

No, not patronising, a statement of fact so as to be inclusive of anybody who did not know that. Even if there were one person who did not know that, then my including it would perhaps help that person and cause them not to feel excluded.

I know that sometimes I have read items - I don't mean on Gransnet - where an author has used an abbreviation and I have not known what it means.

Sometimes fairly easy to find out on the web, sometimes not.

I was taught, and try to follow, a practice of always writing out the meaning of an abbreviation when first using it.

So, if, say, I were writing about producing a PDF (Portable Document Format) document, I would, as here, include the meaning of the abbreviation the first time I used it. I could then write about various aspects of producing a PDF document, such as the embedding of a subset of a font in a PDF document and the reasons for doing that, using the abbreviation as needed.

When writing I try to explain, in the hope of conveying meaning and enabling understanding by the reader, not simply produce a quantity of words as if answering an examination question for what I write to become read by an examiner with existing knowledge of the topic.

By the way, do you know of the Spanish poet who is thought to have first used the phrase about sucking eggs and of the city where a poem by him is displayed on an outside wall, a city where many poems by many poets and in various languages are displayed on outside walls and that many of the poems are displayed in images within Google street view?

Oldnproud Fri 22-Jul-22 09:04:27

JackyB The annoying thing is that recently without warning all the discussions are "locked" so you can't ask any questions. I suspect this may only be in the app ...

Unfortunately not. They have completely done away with the opportunity to ask questions.

MawtheMerrier Fri 22-Jul-22 09:08:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

StarDreamer Fri 22-Jul-22 09:09:14

For completeness of a serendipitous pathway.

LINK > Teaching grandmother to suck eggs

LINK > Francisco de Quevedo

LINK > Wall poems in Leiden

MawtheMerrier Fri 22-Jul-22 09:13:14

If you are interested SD, many other languages have expressions about trying to teach one’s betters what they already know. These are often translated into English as “Don’t teach your grandmother to suck eggs,” even though that’s not the actual wording.

Here are some of these proverbs, and their literal translations:

Latin: Ne sus Minervam doceat (“A sow does not teach Minerva [goddess of wisdom]”); Delphinum natare doces (“You’re teaching a dolphin to swim”); Aquilam volare doces (“You’re teaching an eagle to fly”); À bove majori discit arare minor (“The young ox learns to plow from the elder”).

French: Les oisons veulent mener les ois paître (“The goslings want to drive the geese to pasture”); Il ne faux pas apprendre aux poissons à nager (“One does not teach fish to swim”).

Italian: Insegnar nuotare ai pesci (“To teach fish to swim”); L’uovo ne vuol saper più della gallina (“The egg should not know more than the hen”).

German: Er will seinen Vater lernen Kinder erziehen (“He would teach his father to raise children”); Das Ei will klüger sein als die Henne (“The egg wants to be wiser than the hen”).

Spanish: Aún no ha salido del cascarón y ya tiene presunción (“He hasn’t left the shell, but he’s already being presumptuous”).

Portuguese: Ensinar o Pai-Nosso ao vigário (“Teach the Lord’s Prayer to the vicar”).
#justsaying

Marydoll Fri 22-Jul-22 09:15:55

I do like those examples Maw, far better than the English expression.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jul-22 09:18:10

I never knew Delphinium meant Dolphin! ?

JackyB Fri 22-Jul-22 09:18:26

FannyCornforth

JackyB if I were to learn a language it would probably be Polish.
A gentleman that I randomly met in Waterstones told me that for English speakers, Polish was one of the hardest languages to learn.
What are your thoughts?

I can't really compare as I have no experience of Chinese, or Arabic or many other groups of languages.

With Polish, the one blessing is that syntax is at least intuitive. I did start learning Russian many aeons ago so was familiar with the different cases (which even go further than Latin). Pronunciation, where there can be 6 or 7 consonants together, is quite a hurdle. I could do with more handy tables to check the conjugations and declensions. However, it is fun to do as there is absolutely no way you can derive any words from any of the more familiar languages - the Slavic roots are so different and it's just a question of learning everything by heart.
--

Thanks oldnproud, you'd think they could have kept the fora open so that learners can help each other, even if there is no one else to help.

Lucca Fri 22-Jul-22 09:30:34

MawtheMerrier

^Many readers will know that in English that the word 'a' before a consonant and 'an' before a vowel, is the indefinite article^
How patronising!

It may not have been your intention SD to be patronising but that was my instant reaction too.

Grammaretto Fri 22-Jul-22 09:31:19

I have been trying to learn Gaelic on Duolingo for well over a year now. Can't say I could carry on a conversation.
I also attend a class on zoom each week with a real life teacher and I tune in to the Alba TV channel occasionally.
I have an unbroken streak of 100 days but am in danger of losing it. I had better do my 10 minutes.
Mar sin leat grin