Gransnet forums

Education

A-Level Exam Results (not us - our grandchildren!)

(48 Posts)
Candelle Thu 18-Aug-22 12:51:31

Congratulations to all who achieved their university choices this morning.

Commiserations to those who didn't.

It's been a very difficult exam period this year with 'grade inflation' being tackled and the past few years of Covid/school closures etc.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 18-Aug-22 13:08:16

Little missoops was pleased to get 3xA*s and her place at Bristol University. Considering all the time off for Covid ( that she escaped previously) we were pleased for her.

CraftyGranny Thu 18-Aug-22 13:14:29

My DGD got 3 A's and an A for her extended project.

She went to school in Bristol, and has a place at Manchester University.

One proud Granny here.

Candelle Thu 18-Aug-22 15:26:29

Oopadaisy1 Congratulations to your granddaughter.

Our daughter attended Bristol and loved her time there so I think your granddaughter will have a brilliant time.

CraftyGranny: Many congratulations too to your granddaughter.

Our grandson attained his A and A star grades and is off to Leeds.

I do want to take a moment to think of those who may be ploughing through clearing as I really feel that this cohort has had a really hard time, being neither fish nor fowl re. taking exams.

I also think that many students worked extremely hard and it shouldn't be too much to congratulate them.

I

Hithere Thu 18-Aug-22 16:01:22

I am curious, which universities are the top in the UK?

silverlining48 Thu 18-Aug-22 16:57:47

Oxbridge, of course and those others in the Russell group. I hadn’t realised there is a pecking order when my two went off 25 years ago. I thought they were all the same. Doh!

Rosina Thu 18-Aug-22 17:06:51

The manipulation of grades for whatever reason is unfair to all students - those who have worked hard in previous years with their examination board applying harsher criteria for marks have seen in subsequent years examinees of equal merit achieving much higher grades. We now have a blatant 'marking down' this year - it begins to render any grading system useless when it is not applied with equality year on year.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 18-Aug-22 17:07:18

Plenty of ‘top’ Universities, but if the students are pursuing a particular subject they might not be able to find it. MissOops wanted to go to UCL but her chosen degree subject was dropped, that left Oxford, which she didn’t get into, Bristol or Edinburgh, she decided Edinburgh was too far away and too cold. By a happy coincidence her BF lives in Bristol.
However, they have all worked so hard and it’s the first ‘real ‘ exam they have sat, so well done to them all.

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 17:14:07

Hithere

I am curious, which universities are the top in the UK?

'top' in what sense, and for whom?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 18-Aug-22 17:39:10

I'm pleased that universities have government approval of considering applicants' backgrounds in addition to exam results. Some have nowhere at home to study quietly yet manage to do well in their exams. That's a far greater achievement than someone with their own bedroom, and maybe a private education, receiving the same grades, and speaks well of their ability to flourish.

Grantanow Thu 18-Aug-22 17:43:13

Our nephew just got into Oxford.

Lucca Thu 18-Aug-22 18:08:49

Oopsadaisy1

Plenty of ‘top’ Universities, but if the students are pursuing a particular subject they might not be able to find it. MissOops wanted to go to UCL but her chosen degree subject was dropped, that left Oxford, which she didn’t get into, Bristol or Edinburgh, she decided Edinburgh was too far away and too cold. By a happy coincidence her BF lives in Bristol.
However, they have all worked so hard and it’s the first ‘real ‘ exam they have sat, so well done to them all.

Many famous people went to Bristol including me ? and Julia Donaldson Alistair Stewart
She’ll have a great time.

Hithere Thu 18-Aug-22 18:22:48

Top as for most prestigious and respected.

In US, I can name Yale, UPenn, etc

pinkprincess Thu 18-Aug-22 20:18:22

CraftyGranny
Congratulations to your granddaughter.My youngest granddaughter is at Manchester University, just going into her second year next month.She loves it

Jaxjacky Thu 18-Aug-22 20:57:09

Although this thread is titled A levels, if I may, I would also congratulate those who passed their Btech and T level exams.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 18-Aug-22 21:28:04

Jaxjacky anyone who has passed their exams after a very difficult 2 years deserves our admiration, school children have had a terrible time of it and I think that whatever their home circumstances those who have worked to get good grades deserve them.

Candelle Mon 22-Aug-22 00:31:39

I agree with Jaxjacky in as much as that all children who did well in their exams deserve congratulations, no matter their background or type of school. Hard work is hard work.

BigBertha1 Mon 22-Aug-22 07:03:24

My grandson got three A*and an unconditional place at Salford to study Music Performance and Production

BigBertha1 Mon 22-Aug-22 07:04:59

Grandsons was BTEC but the same maximum UCAS points as A levels

NotSpaghetti Mon 22-Aug-22 07:45:04

Hithere
In the UK the top universities are Oxford Cambridge (Oxbridge) and the Russell Group
russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/

You do of course need to consider the subject you want to study. If for example you had wanted to study modern literature in my day there would have been no point looking at Oxford or Cambridge as they didn't go very "modern" in those days.
Also if you had wanted to study marine biology 20 years ago there were only about 3 universities that offered that.
There will no doubt be courses today that are only offered by a very few universities.

Hithere Mon 22-Aug-22 14:09:39

Thanks Nonspaghetti

PaulaBb Mon 22-Aug-22 22:30:28

I fully understand you. Today there are really more opportunities. As well as the choice of specialties and professions for different classes of people. Today, as a girl, I have the opportunity to study to be a doctor. And when I had difficulties with homework, nursing essay writing service helps me a lot. Here you can find a link www.nursingpaper.com/ It is convenient when professionals in such a complex and narrow specialty can help students like me.

ElaineI Tue 23-Aug-22 00:08:52

What is the Russell Group? I have never heard of them. It depends what you want to study surely - certain unis are best for medicine, others for nursing, others for engineering etc.

ElaineI Tue 23-Aug-22 00:12:23

PaulaBb

I fully understand you. Today there are really more opportunities. As well as the choice of specialties and professions for different classes of people. Today, as a girl, I have the opportunity to study to be a doctor. And when I had difficulties with homework, nursing essay writing service helps me a lot. Here you can find a link www.nursingpaper.com/ It is convenient when professionals in such a complex and narrow specialty can help students like me.

Reported

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-Aug-22 11:31:24

Elaine, NotSpaghetti’s link explains. Potential employers look carefully at which university an applicant attended. They are by no means equal. The Russell Group are the elite along with Oxbridge. When I worked in a big City law firm applications from would-be trainees who hadn’t attended one of the top universities simply were not considered. Just the way it is, especially in an over-subscribed profession.