Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why are younger people on Gransnet now?

(140 Posts)
Peonyrose Sat 28-Sep-19 19:15:40

I wonder why young people are joining in Gransnet forums, when there are other sites more suited such as Mumsnet.

Apricity Sun 20-Oct-19 11:42:54

Maybe it really is about the seeking of the views, perceptions and sheer life experience of older folk. For a whole lot of reasons I didn't have that when I was younger and just did the best I could. I would have so loved to have a wise granny to talk to and discuss life's issues and dilemmas.

How lovely to have a 21st century digital version of the older wisewoman. Not always right but an interesting contribution to the conversation.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Oct-19 11:51:55

I think lumping us all together under the title of 'grans' does us a disservice, and I certainly wouldn't venture on here if I was male.

It seems a very narrow way of referring to older (and frequently younger) women.

Rufus2 Sun 20-Oct-19 12:30:22

I certainly wouldn't venture on here if I was male
MissAdvent; Why not? smile I ventured on here 18 months ago and I love the company of all the lovely Grannies: I wouldn't have a sex-change in a fit! grin Friendly chat and humour abound here if you know how to look!

MissAdventure Sun 20-Oct-19 14:50:58

Good. With you and grandad plus another couple who I think are men, that makes 4 of you. smile

RedRidingHood Sun 20-Oct-19 16:02:48

SirChenjin my nn was probably something on the lines of squirrels or secret squirrels. I had lots of name changes after the data breach.
I was an older mother when my DC were born. So now at 61 my children are in their early 20s just starting careers and probably a long way off having DC of their own. DH is now 70 so we may well miss out on the experience of having GC while still young enough to enjoy them.
I still feel I have plenty in common with others on GN who are nearer my age than those on MN.

SirChenjin Sun 20-Oct-19 16:31:07

I wonder if our paths crossed on MN Red? smile

DH was 34, 36 and 44 when ours were born, I was 28, 30 and 38. Our youngest is now 12, the eldest is 22, so DH and I will be similar in ages to you and your DH when the youngest is in his early to mid twenties. I left MN because I felt it was becoming increasingly vicious (or perhaps I was just outgrowing it) and because I felt I’d been through the child rearing years - it was quite odd being on there with young mums who were the same ages as my elder 2 (and younger in some cases). I suppose I’m caught between MN and GN but feel there’s more to learn from posters on GN who have been through the stages I’m now going through.

TerriBull Sun 20-Oct-19 16:58:31

I'm on MN, originally joined because I really liked the book threads on that site, have got some of my best reads from recommendations on MN. In fact I pinched the "50 books a year" thread from there and started one on GN. I think both GN and MN have something to offer depends on what you're looking for. The latter has a staggering 10 or 11 million subscribers so obviously that figure encompasses a diversity in ages.

RedRidingHood Sun 20-Oct-19 21:11:15

I recognised your user name SirChenjin because I love it, we often do pub quizzes as a family and once used it as a team name grin.
I only go on MN now for one particular special interest thread.

SirChenjin Sun 20-Oct-19 21:30:37

Oh my goodness - I feel quite flattered! Thank you blushgrin

Gonegirl Sun 20-Oct-19 22:11:38

I ust wish we knew the ages of other posters.

Sometimes (very occasionally) I find myself making a comforting 'there there' sort of reply to a post thinking I'm talking to some sweet old dear. And then the 'old dear' pops up on another thread, obviously straight off the Mumsnet pile.

hmm

lemongrove Sun 20-Oct-19 22:20:48

I sometimes think that perhaps they been thrown off the
Mumsnet site, then they head over here.The clue is in the name...Gransnet ( no, you don’t have to actually be a gran, or a mum either, but older at least, otherwise what’s the point?)

SirChenjin Sun 20-Oct-19 22:23:58

Just to clear up any confusion

SirChenjin Sun 20-Oct-19 22:25:03

Of course, if you feel that anyone on here is breaking the site guidelines you can always complain to GNHQ

Rufus2 Mon 21-Oct-19 14:00:20

Of course, if you feel that anyone on here is breaking the site guidelines you can always complain to GNHQ
Why? GNHQ is quite capable of "policing"; having drawn up the guidelines many years ago. hmm

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-19 16:17:24

I agree - although some posters here seem to be quite upset at the thought of us 'youngsters' on here. It might be better for them to do something proactive by complaining to HQ about their entry criteria rather than making comments about Mumsnet being more appropriate and how we're spoiling their site (I paraphrase obviously, but you get my drift)

M0nica Mon 21-Oct-19 21:05:50

One of those younger posters said it was because GN is more kind than MN.

SirChenjin Mon 21-Oct-19 21:07:10

That’s nice smile

Rufus2 Tue 22-Oct-19 08:33:19

Good. With you and grandad plus another couple who I think are men, that makes 4 of you

Wrong! 5 actually! I'm schizophrenic, but we're both OK with that now! confused

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 09:44:16

I don't think I would have been ready for Gransnet when I was 50.
But I would probably never have been ready for Mumsnet!! From what I've gleaned, you need to be fairly robust to go on there.

Gonegirl Tue 22-Oct-19 09:47:29

Mumsnet wsn't always the way it is now C.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 09:50:52

I looked a couple of times and beat a hasty retreat!

Is that what they're like in RL? shock ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 22-Oct-19 09:56:52

Perhaps some of these young 'uns are interested in hearing the opinions of those of us who are more experienced in life. Maybe they don't have grandparents in RL.

Summerlove Thu 24-Oct-19 01:07:09

I think perhaps people who are well within the target demographic of this site are just younger than some people would expect or hope.

Yes there are some who come over from other sites wanting advice, but when your lower age recommendation is 50, you’re bound to have a different perspective than somebody who is 70.

SirChenjin Thu 24-Oct-19 07:36:11

Different perspectives, whether on the basis of age, religion, working/not working, life experiences and so on are a good thing surely? No two seventy year olds are the same, it’s the differences that make online forums interesting imo.

Wildrose24 Thu 24-Oct-19 08:14:36

Age to me is just a number.Most of the younger posters are seeking advice or a different perspective.I sometimes browse on mumsnet for to see younger peoples views on subjects to keep in touch with current thinking.I find it sometimes helps me to look at an issue from all angles.