Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why are younger people on Gransnet now?

(139 Posts)
Peonyrose Sat 28-Sep-19 19:15:40

I wonder why young people are joining in Gransnet forums, when there are other sites more suited such as Mumsnet.

Doodledog Sat 28-Sep-19 19:20:56

Does it matter?

Some threads are about being a gran; but others are pretty much universal. I would rather learn from perspectives of people of all ages and backgrounds than stay in a bubble of 'people like me'.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 19:27:46

When I was a child there were a lot of younger grandparents. That started to change with reliable contraception. I know mums who didn't start having kids until they were in their thirties and forties.

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 19:30:38

...but Mumsnet is less welcoming (possibly because of the vast quantities of alcohol they seem to consume, or say they do) than here on GN apart from when the B word is mentioned!

SpringyChicken Sat 28-Sep-19 19:30:59

I expect there are many grans on Mumsnet too.

midgey Sat 28-Sep-19 19:31:25

Some grans are young!

sodapop Sat 28-Sep-19 19:56:14

I hadn't really noticed Peonyrose but no harm in getting a younger person's perspective on a problem.

kittylester Sat 28-Sep-19 19:59:31

I hadn't noticed and why is this under 'Estrangement'?

Luckygirl Sat 28-Sep-19 20:17:16

I had noticed and in the main it seems to be young mums seeking advice from those who have been through it all before; or who are struggling with difficult relationships with parents or in-laws, especially in relation to upbringing of children.

I think it is a very positive thing - and it is nice to know that there are young people who feel we might have some collective wisdom to pass on.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Sep-19 20:29:17

I hadn’t noticed and think it’s not a problem we live in a multi aged society unprocessed you’re in a care home or a old folks housing project neither of which would suit me I like mixing with all sorts My best friend for years. well still is, but I don’t see her much as she moved abroad was younger than my own kids

Starblaze Sat 28-Sep-19 20:31:29

Estranged children aren't wanted on the estrangement threads.

Summerlove Sat 28-Sep-19 20:37:47

starblaze that seems to be very true.

Seems very spiteful and cutting ones nose off to spite their face to me

Sussexborn Sat 28-Sep-19 20:44:40

Seems to be younger Mums asking for advice regarding relationships with a (slightly) older generation. Occasionally one seems to stick around for a bit but that’s fine.

Starblaze Sat 28-Sep-19 20:51:37

Summerlove I read through most of the threads because I wanted to make sure this was a good idea and I have seen several people driven out. It starts out nice and supportive and then they are turned on for no reason I can see. I've continued to follow but I haven't dared comment till now.

crazyH Sat 28-Sep-19 20:54:37

My best friend when I was a young mum, was my elderly neighbour. We had coffee together most mornings - she was a widow. I confided in her. She accompanied me to GP/hospital appointments, for myself and when I had to take the children. Sadly, she is no more.

Gonegirl Sat 28-Sep-19 20:54:42

It's a smaller pond.

Cherrytree59 Sat 28-Sep-19 21:02:05

Gransnet is advertised on mumsnet.

Hetty58 Sat 28-Sep-19 21:02:32

There's a lot of bitchiness on here unfortunately, also too many 'know it alls' who think that the only right way is their way. Still, it's very easy to ignore any troublesome posters. You soon get to recognise their names so can just skip their contributions. Nobody should allow themselves to be 'driven out' or Gransnet will die of boredom!

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 21:10:43

To be fair, I lurked on MN for a bit (before Brexit though when I still had an AC at home) and thought it was very judgemental towards some posters so I came here. The massive difference here is that there seemed to be a big boozing culture on MN and I can't recall seeing any mention of alcohol on here. Not that I've been here long.

Chewbacca Sat 28-Sep-19 21:13:36

Estranged children aren't wanted on the estrangement threads.

Eh? confused In my own personal experience, that's not the case; in fact, quite the reverse.

GagaJo Sat 28-Sep-19 21:19:18

I thought the only requirement on Gransnet was to be a granny.

I have to admit, it isn't what I thought it would be. I thought we'd all be overjoyed to be grannies, but it seems to be more of a bitchfest at times.

Summerlove Sat 28-Sep-19 21:21:44

starblaze, I just don’t get it.

Starblaze Sat 28-Sep-19 21:59:00

Starblaze Me either. Such a shame. So many times I have wanted to say something and stopped myself.

Chewbacca Yes I have noticed you show up and say so any time an estranged child says they feel unwelcome. I will keep reading and see how it goes. Not sure I feel comfy sharing my story here though x

Chewbacca Sat 28-Sep-19 22:16:19

I can understand that you might not feel ready to share your story yet Starblaze; it took me a long, long time before I felt ready to. Like you, I also felt that, as most of the other contributors to the estrangement threads were the parents of estranged adult children, that I would receive a somewhat frosty reception. In fact I was welcomed immediately and I became more comfortable in explaining estrangement "from the other perspective". I've never given the actual reasons as to why I walked away from my birth family, but I've been quite open that it's been a decision that I had to take for my own sanity and wellbeing and is something that I've never regretted.
We all have our own journey to make, whichever side of estrangement we're coming from. I do hope you keep posting. Best wishes.

Loulelady Sat 28-Sep-19 22:16:33

I’m on Mumsnet and here, I’m not yet a grandma but I’m aware I’m much closer in age to most grandmas than I am to most new mums. I have adult children and a very frail, elderly mum. A situation shared by many late 40s and older and others on this site.