Gransnet forums

Estrangement

"My parents did their best" - Really, even though it was emotionally and physically abusive?

(197 Posts)
ananimous Mon 03-Feb-20 14:49:07

"My parents did their best"
I was interested to read this recently, and it got me thinking...
I wonder if this is just a convenient let-off clause.

Is this the same as a drunk getting into a car, and then causing an accident - They cannot say "well I was drunk and did not know what I was doing, so you can't hold it against me!". The drunk is still held accountable for the damage/injury, whether they were competent to drive or not.

If it serves to ignore their toxicity in the present day, dysfunction can and usually will continue.

I think accountability is only a small part of dismantling dysfunction, but without that initial self-introspection, the toxic bubble stays intact.

rosecarmel Mon 03-Feb-20 22:32:08

Whoever said: "you can be what you can't see"

Thank you!

notanan2 Mon 03-Feb-20 22:56:08

I said it. It does not mean that stopping "seeing" someone will stop you from being like them.

It means that if all of the close relationships you have been in or witnessed have been unhealthy, you wont know any different and even if you strive for different, you wont have the tools to be a way that you havent experienced or witnessed

Smileless2012 Mon 03-Feb-20 23:12:05

How can someone whose close relationships were healthy not know or be able to see when they find themselves in an un healthy relationship, when their previous experiences have been healthy?

notanan2 Mon 03-Feb-20 23:17:19

Because of their perception of normal. So its easier to recognise that "love" isnt supposed to hurt if you've had healthy normal love.

Smileless2012 Mon 03-Feb-20 23:26:42

But in an unhealthy relationship 'love' does hurt and for someone who hasn't experienced that before it will go against their perception of normal.

They will experience the hurt themselves and in some cases see how those they had a loving relationship with are also being hurt.

rosecarmel Mon 03-Feb-20 23:36:18

notanan, it's a multi-faceted gem, and can mean different things depending on what angle you look at it-

OutsideDave Mon 03-Feb-20 23:52:28

I don’t think that that it really happens that way though. Either the person is unhealthy, due to underlying MI, or they have already been primed by disordered relationships to tolerate abuse and toxicity. I don’t know any happy, healthy well adjusted person with zero mental illness and a totally normal loving family find themselves in abusive controlling relationships. When those those folks sense danger, they leave, and they are decently in tune with their gut and have a healthy normal meter so abusers don’t even waste their time.

rosecarmel Mon 03-Feb-20 23:52:56

If you take a parent that isn't seeing that believes their family dynamic is normal, they'd be in for a shock if they all of a sudden saw it was not- And they'd experience disbelief if a member chooses to leave it, and still not see anything other than someone leaving-

Madgran77 Tue 04-Feb-20 06:39:06

I don’t think that that it really happens that way though. Either the person is unhealthy, due to underlying MI, or they have already been primed by disordered relationships to tolerate abuse and toxicity. I don’t know any happy, healthy well adjusted person with zero mental illness and a totally normal loving family find themselves in abusive controlling relationships. When those those folks sense danger, they leave, and they are decently in tune with their gut and have a healthy normal meter so abusers don’t even waste their time.

Although on paper that makes perfect sense, in real life I think it is a simplistic view of how abusive relationships develop, how people get into them, why people stay in them, why people do or don't leave and why abusers bother, subtly or otherwise!

I wish it was that everyone brought up in a "totally normal family" (by whoever's definition!!) , with no mental health issues and who is happy and well adjusted never found themselves in a relationship where gradually the dynamics of that relationship, the insiduous but cleverly made expectations begin to take over and change their sense of self. Where they cant see the wood for the trees because of that relationship dynamics that crept up on them but they are so deep in the forest they don't even know they need to get out anymore and their new norm is what they are.

Anyone who has watched this happen to someone (with no mental issues, from a "normal happy family) and then supported them when they come out of the forest (by death of a partner maybe, by support from someone who manages to break down some branches maybe or by something else) will recognise my description.

Others may not believe it can happen and will be adamant that before the relationship that person MUST have been the product of a "NOT normal happy family", there MUST have been mental issues or significant mothering issues or whatever. So be it we believe/ know what we believe/know and are all different

Sara65 Tue 04-Feb-20 07:14:55

I think had anyone asked, my parents would have said they were good parents, I remember once, during a row, my dad saying they had taken parenthood much more seriously than I did.

On paper yes, we were clothed, fed, went to chapel every Sunday. But I can’t ever remember anyone laughing, I’m pretty sure I was never hugged, no endearments were ever used, we were never complimented, only criticised. I could be a lot more specific, but you get to drift.

I think I was that odd girl who hung around in other people’s houses, where the atmosphere was so different to ours, I expect people wondered when I was ever going to go home, but I was fascinated by how other mums and dads behaved.

So I think, that as long as there are other influences in you life, history is less likely to repeat itself.

rosecarmel Tue 04-Feb-20 07:52:33

I think I was that odd girl who hung around in other people’s houses, where the atmosphere was so different to ours, I expect people wondered when I was ever going to go home, but I was fascinated by how other mums and dads behaved.

Me too!

Iam64 Tue 04-Feb-20 08:00:13

Yes the way we're parenting influences the way our personalities develop.
No, not all people who experienced abuse in childhood go on to abuse their own children.

Yennifer Tue 04-Feb-20 08:00:25

I did that too! Always at my neighbours house, I went to her with things I couldn't talk to mother about x

Sara65 Tue 04-Feb-20 08:05:52

Thank goodness for the kindness of others

Smileless2012 Tue 04-Feb-20 08:52:34

Having watched this happen to our ES I recognise your description Madgran.

He was healthy, has no underlying mental health issues that we are aware of and came from a totally normal loving family. Despite this, he is in an emotionally abusive and controlling relationship.

Greymar Tue 04-Feb-20 09:12:14

I think an absolute key issue is a little chink of self examination, a questioning of self. I understand that many of the generation who have been through the war, are likely to avoid therapy and self examination.
If the abuser were to say " I'm wondering now if I got it wrong. I made mistakes" that would go some way to meeting me half way.

Instead, they firmly adhere to their view that I am the cause, I am deficient in some way. I have had to put in years and years of effort not to repeat patterns with my own kids. Some things I got badly wrong.

Anybody interested in this area, take a look at a writer named Caroline Spring.

Sara65 Tue 04-Feb-20 09:23:18

Greymar

I tried very hard not to be like my parents, luckily my husband had had a very happy childhood, and was more aware than I was, about what and wasn’t important, he was a fairly laid back parent, always kind, still is.

Had I married someone similar to myself, we may have carried on making the same mistakes.

Yennifer Tue 04-Feb-20 13:37:28

Anyone who can't admit to the idea that the way they do things is wrong to others and that individual people need to be treated like individuals is going to have broken relationships x

Yennifer Tue 04-Feb-20 13:38:42

Is someone says "take me as I am or not at all" I tend to go with the second option and yet they can't understand why lol x

rosecarmel Tue 04-Feb-20 15:24:08

I've never met a happy family, not ever- Some people individually seem happier than others at times, but it's temporary- Every single family I met has shown signs of struggle and dysfunction, tension and inequality-

It's parents that paint the perfectly happy family portrait, children not so much- Especially once grown up-

M0nica Tue 04-Feb-20 15:47:59

You have a strange idea of what a happy family is rosecarmel , Something like the Waltons no doubt.

A happy functioning family is one that has its ups and downs, disagreements and resolutions. Times of trouble and disagreement but times of forgiveness adjustment and tolerance.

I am fascinated that you have managed to know the inner fuctionings of so many holidays. I do not know the inner functionings of even one.

Yennifer Tue 04-Feb-20 15:49:28

Children who grow up in abusive families might have had to fight hard to protect who they are. When someone is constantly trying to tell you who you are (labels) or tell you who you are supposed to be then you might end up an adult protecting your own identity at all costs. That means you won't stand for any criticism or feedback that might mean you have to change. Things like that aren't knowingly abusive I don't think but they do hurt people around you who don't like the way you treat them or your inability to cha ge certain behaviour. Really if you stick to rigidness and don't improve yourself you don't get to be a better version of you which is still you x

Smileless2012 Tue 04-Feb-20 15:52:53

I agree with your description of "a happy functioning family" MOnica. There's an enormous difference between a happy functioning family and a perfect one; perfect one's don't exist.

rosecarmel Tue 04-Feb-20 16:28:10

Didn't mean rattle your pedestal, M0nica- smile Them hackles could use a trim ..

agnurse Tue 04-Feb-20 16:41:38

Some of it is down to temperament and personality, as well.

We did not grow up in an abusive home, but my sister is married to a man who is very controlling and there is some evidence of emotional abuse towards her and her children. I suspect that much of this is down to her personality, which is very caring and submissive. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it does put her at risk for being used and abused by men.