Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Hope For Estranged Grandparents

(929 Posts)
worthitall Tue 16-Jun-20 16:30:44

I’ve read some posts where people feel it is not worth the fight to see their grandchildren and others which suggest grandparents don’t have such rights - which is correct.

The fact in such matters though is that the rights belong to the children, including rights to see their grandparents unless there is a very good reason why not - and that Is where most arguments lay and a compelling and realistic case has to be made to support 'why not'?

How am I so sure? The Family Court has given me permission to see my grandchildren on a regular basis. Cafcass had no objections to, nor hesitation in recommending, access and the court was able to see that the cutting off of contact was not about the children but about the parent.

The court has enabled me to restart the lovely relationship I always had with my grandchildren.

Do not be afraid to go to court if it is the only way you can speak to your grandchildren. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 20:19:56

Especially when the other apples are all staying in the basket and not kicking the rotter out.

HolyHannah Tue 30-Jun-20 20:23:16

That's why No Contact is "getting out of the basket"... It avoids the "rot" and their enablers...

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:35:26

Yes, providing it isn't the person going no contact, or the person they are being manipulated by who is the bad apple. In that case the rot goes with them.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 20:39:00

Yes.
It's incredibly complex, isn't it?

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:46:36

It certainly is MissAsmile

HolyHannah Tue 30-Jun-20 22:58:47

Yes... But if the "rot" goes out of the basket then by that logic, the basket is 'free' and shouldn't complain because the "rot" is gone. The basket should be happy to be free of their 'rotten fruit'...

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 23:01:30

Yes, but it does mean the rot is going elsewhere, to other defenceless apples.
(Can't believe I'm having this conversation! smile)

HolyHannah Tue 30-Jun-20 23:14:35

I guess it depends on which of the fruit is actually "rotten"... The 'defenseless apples' have societal protections in place to help ensure if "rotten fruit" rolls away, they still are held accountable to grow their fruit in a healthy manner. The 'defenseless apples' are not alone in the world just because they are not in the same basket that their parents came from...

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 23:29:45

It's like 'Gardeners World' smile

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Jun-20 23:49:47

Don't often see rotten apples on 'Gardeners World' MissA, wouldn't look goodsmile.

The basket should be happy to be free of their 'rotten' fruit you'd think so but there are a lot of unhappy EP's and EAC out there.

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 00:22:32

No apple is rotten before it's formed-

The three little kittens were scolded for losing the mittens they were given and told they couldn't have pie-

Translated:

I'm giving you life dependent upon my expectation and punishable by my idea of love-

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 09:31:33

No apple is rotten before it's formed that's quite true. It can become infected with rot because of other 'rotten' apples or from an outside source like maggots, which I think Chewbacca mentioned previously on this thread.

Don't understand how you came to that translation rosecarmel!

Nonnie Wed 01-Jul-20 09:54:26

May I remind everyone that parents don't have any 'rights' in the UK, they have 'responsibilities'. It is the children who have the 'rights'

Nonnie Wed 01-Jul-20 09:56:16

If we are talking about apples shall we also remember 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree' Effectively, if you show certain behaviours to your children they will probably behave the same.

Namsnanny Wed 01-Jul-20 11:03:36

nonnie ...9.54/9.56 voice of reason. But will you be considered a bad apple in the context of this thread, which is very like being in something dreamt up by Kafka or Lewis Carroll!
Off with their heads!!

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:05:18

That's quite true Nonnie. One of the ways we teach our children is by example and we need to be mindful of not expecting them to do what we say and not what we do.

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 11:08:26

Namsnanny smile The Queen of Hearts whose name and behaviour are at odds with one another.

HolyHannah Wed 01-Jul-20 12:25:52

Smileless -- I agree -- "One of the ways we teach our children is by example and we need to be mindful of not expecting them to do what we say and not what we do."

You can't expect children to "do as you say" while you are not 'doing' that/those things yourself.

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 12:31:17

Smileless2012

*No apple is rotten before it's formed* that's quite true. It can become infected with rot because of other 'rotten' apples or from an outside source like maggots, which I think Chewbacca mentioned previously on this thread.

Don't understand how you came to that translation rosecarmel!

Parents are the initial outside source- If mom happily had sex with Johnny Apple maggot, chances are mom had problems- And the beautiful little Apple they had will also attract maggots-

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 12:38:40

Parents claim that they aren't that type of apple, they're bananas-

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 12:51:19

That's what I said HolyHannah

chances are ...... yes that's quite possible rosecarmel but mom could happily have had sex Johny Apple No Maggot, and the beautiful apple they had could be the first from that apple 'family' to attract maggots.

Pantglas2 Wed 01-Jul-20 12:55:03

Is it me, or are there more maggots around than previously?

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:02:06

Maybe it has something to do with the weather Pantglas

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:13:07

Smileless2012

That's what I said HolyHannah

chances are ...... yes that's quite possible rosecarmel but mom could happily have had sex Johny Apple No Maggot, and the beautiful apple they had could be the first from that apple 'family' to attract maggots.

Smileless, you're describing a fairytale-

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:14:31

Pantglas2

Is it me, or are there more maggots around than previously?

Are you talking to that mirror on the wall again, asking if you're the fairest of them all?

?