Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Hope For Estranged Grandparents

(929 Posts)
worthitall Tue 16-Jun-20 16:30:44

I’ve read some posts where people feel it is not worth the fight to see their grandchildren and others which suggest grandparents don’t have such rights - which is correct.

The fact in such matters though is that the rights belong to the children, including rights to see their grandparents unless there is a very good reason why not - and that Is where most arguments lay and a compelling and realistic case has to be made to support 'why not'?

How am I so sure? The Family Court has given me permission to see my grandchildren on a regular basis. Cafcass had no objections to, nor hesitation in recommending, access and the court was able to see that the cutting off of contact was not about the children but about the parent.

The court has enabled me to restart the lovely relationship I always had with my grandchildren.

Do not be afraid to go to court if it is the only way you can speak to your grandchildren. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:15:04

NOT!

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:19:12

No I leave talk of fairy tales especially the ones about evil parents and/or step mothers, unicorns etc. to others rosecarmel

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:22:32

If you really believe that what I am saying is a fairy tale rosecarmel then prove it. Prove that no AC has ever estranged their parents due to the influence of a third party.

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:23:15

Smileless2012

No I leave talk of fairy tales especially the ones about evil parents and/or step mothers, unicorns etc. to others rosecarmel

No! You don't leave! Hahahahaha !!! That's her another fairytale!!!

?

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:23:46

*her = yet

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:27:41

Are you feeling OK rosecarmel?

Nonnie Wed 01-Jul-20 13:28:16

Perhaps US has different fairy tales? Perhaps it is culturally different?

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:31:00

Smileless, blaming someone or something other is proof enough- And simple enough, for a child to understand-

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:34:01

Smileless2012

Are you feeling OK rosecarmel?

Of course when people don't agree with you they magically don't feel good- ?

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:43:32

My posts about AC estranging decent and loving parents are met with derision, despite the number of GN's who have posted about this being their experience, over the years here on GN.

No, blaming someone or something other isn't proof at all. When you blame parents for their AC becoming involved with an abuser for their estrangement, what you're doing is no different to an EP blaming that AC's partner.

Simple enough for a child to understand as you say. So going back to my post @ 13.22, prove that no AC has ever estranged their parent(s) due to the influence of a 3rd party.

Smileless2012 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:44:44

I wouldn't say they don't magically feel good, but some magically post nonsense.

Pantglas2 Wed 01-Jul-20 16:15:34

Maggots like magic mushrooms as well as apples.....?

Nonnie Wed 01-Jul-20 16:46:56

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 13:31:00 "blaming someone or something other is proof enough- And simple enough, for a child to understand-" I'm not clear what you mean. Don't underestimate the intelligence of children. They can easily understand that someone it being blamed but they can decide for themselves whether it is right or not. Children usually believe their parents but also learn very quickly whether the parent is honest or not. As young as 5 they start to question the veracity of what they are being told.

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 18:24:37

Pantglas2

Maggots like magic mushrooms as well as apples.....?

Ah, I see .. You're the caterpillar in that famous book .. Should I recite "How doth the little busy bee .." ? ?

Pantglas2 Wed 01-Jul-20 18:49:17

You can quote Shakespeare if you like....A Rose by any other name....’ or tell me that you know where I live.... I’ll be equally bothered?

rosecarmel Wed 01-Jul-20 22:50:45

?

Nonnie Thu 02-Jul-20 09:38:40

Just seen this on Twitter:

"Simple life rule. Never trust someone who can't apologise or admit a mistake."

Some who have been on this thread might like to reflect on that.

Namsnanny Thu 02-Jul-20 12:10:39

Chance would be a fine thing nonnie!!

Pythagorus Fri 03-Jul-20 11:36:10

Sitting having a cup of tea scanning these threads ...... what are you all on!!!!
Have I fallen down the rabbit hole?!
Sounds like gobbledygook gook to me!

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:40:38

Pythagorusgrin

HolyHannah Sat 04-Jul-20 05:38:39

Smileless -- "My posts about AC estranging decent and loving parents are met with derision, despite the number of GN's who have posted about this being their experience, over the years here on GN."

Of course that statement is met by derision. It's been explained over and over what is problematic with that mentality.

Articles have been cited... Personal situations explained... Analogies used and yet you return to the, "Many of Us report the same things... We were good and loving and close and then insert." And the reply is always the same...

"SAYS YOU." You and as many 'like minded thinkers' can say/believe the same thing as much as you want. If there is no third party/out-side/neutral observer to verify that "belief" then it is just THAT... "A 'belief' held by many." Does that make the 'belief' factual or correct? Nope. Never has and never will.

Does it happen? Sure... Maybe "occasionally" or "once in a while"... Is it the norm? Not by ANY accredited/credible research accounts and certainly not so from those in the best position to explain why there is estrangement in the 'family' -- EAC.

So again, We all have to return to 'the math' not balancing... Medical Professionals and EAC say, "Most family estrangement is caused by some dysfunction in the FOO." Most EP's say, "Look at how many of Us know we were good and loving parents and have been estranged 'unjustly'..." and your 'back-up data' is some very questionable book writers (who also identify as/are EP's) with NO medical or clinical back-grounds...

MissAdventure Sat 04-Jul-20 09:36:10

Medical data shows that smoking causes cancer.
Would you tell a non smoker they must be telling lies if they got it?

The only proof here of the dysfunction in your family is because you say it is so. No proof. Just other estranged "children" agreeing with you.
Nobody here owes anyone "proof", actually; not you, and not estranged parents or other family.

Smileless2012 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:51:08

Medical data shows that smoking causes cancer. Would you tell a non smoker they must be telling lies if they got it? A very good point MissA.

None of can provide proof of our particular situation but some of us don't instantly reject another's truth simply because it isn't the same as ours.

Swanson Sat 04-Jul-20 09:57:51

I am estranged from my gd in all but name her parents happily married live 20 minute drive from me and I have not seen her for 7months okay 3 of them are lockdown but this is par for the course . I don’t drive there is always an excuse why I can’t visit basically I see her before Xmas Mother’s Day my birthday an Xmas again always in their presence I have tried to find out why but no answer the other gran sees her every day this has gone on for 8 years and now I don’t cry anymore it is what it is .

Chewbacca Sat 04-Jul-20 10:15:39

Beautifully put, as always MissA; the tendency, by some, to deny another persons truth, simply because it doesn't match their own version, is a common theme.