Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Religion and Estrangement/No Contact.

(220 Posts)
HolyHannah Thu 02-Jul-20 05:02:26

I've often wondered how much religion plays a part in estrangement.

I was 'raised' Christian and hated IT. The hypocrisy that I saw in that community was appalling to Me even as a minor child... Add the double-standards of my home environment, all these "rules"/ideals existed in principle but the only one following them/MADE to follow them and faced consequences for NOT following those "rules" was ME. Oh and a few 'fellow goats'... A group/community/'family' doesn't need many from my experience and reality -- just enough to make others' "fall into line" lest they become a 'goat' as well.

Here's a list, compiled by an EP of Biblical quotes:

Proverbs 1:8 My child, listen when your father corrects you. Don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.

Proverbs 6:20 My son, obey your father’s commands, and don’t neglect your mother’s instruction.

Proverbs 10:1 The proverbs of Solomon: A wise child brings joy to a father; a foolish child brings grief to a mother.

Proverbs 15:20 Sensible children bring joy to their father; foolish children despise their mother.

Proverbs 19:26 Children who mistreat their father or chase away their mother are an embarrassment and a public disgrace.

Proverbs 20:20 If you insult your father or mother, your light will be snuffed out in total darkness.

Proverbs 23:22 Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old.

Proverbs 23:25 So give your father and mother joy! May she who gave you birth be happy.

Proverbs 28:24 Anyone who steals from his father and mother and says, “What’s wrong with that?” is no better than a murderer.

Proverbs 30:11 Some people curse their father and do not thank their mother.

Proverbs 30:17 The eye that mocks a father and despises a mother’s instructions will be plucked out by ravens of the valley and eaten by vultures.

And this is why I'm a Jedi.

Evie64 Fri 10-Jul-20 02:32:50

I believe in a God, what I don't believe in, and never have, is vicars, priests, imams, rabbis and all the extremely rich churches, temples, mosques, synagogues etc. They are all about money. My God is within me, and I can talk to him/her whenever I need to without having to go to a large ornate building and expect a religious "expert" to preach to me about what I should believe. That's my opinion anyway.

HolyHannah Fri 10-Jul-20 02:43:47

Evie64 -- I'd call you a Christian Jedi... Nothing wrong with your opinion in the least.

Evie64 Fri 10-Jul-20 02:46:43

Cheers Hannah. Whatever gets you through eh?

HolyHannah Fri 10-Jul-20 03:07:25

starbird -- As an "unbeliever" I think perhaps you meant to say non-Christian... It's rather condescending to imply that I do not have "beliefs" or that my beliefs/faith are less legitimate.

I'm not sure how being Jedi or any of the "unbeliever" choices and the concept of an afterlife connect or not. Just because I am not Christian I should be relieved by death?

My belief is that energy cannot be created nor destroyed... So I do believe in the concept that there is possibly something "more"...

And if I am wrong? What is God going to do? Evict Me? I never much relished the idea of eternity in his company especially if my 'family' is there... Send Me to hell? Lucifer had 'Daddy issues' so maybe He and I would relate...

Or how about send me back to Earth for a 'do over'? Some people do believe in reincarnation... So after-life or not and whatever form it takes? I'm good.

HolyHannah Fri 10-Jul-20 03:10:04

Evie64 -- Total mistype -- I meant to say Spiritual Jedi... I had Christianity on the brain. LOL

Sparkling Fri 10-Jul-20 07:17:34

Why is this not under religion. All those quotes from the bible! People's beliefs are their own they don't need preaching to.

Madgran77 Fri 10-Jul-20 07:24:44

Sparkling Presumably because it started off as about the possible links between religion and estrangement but that aspect disappeared in the discussion pretty early on.

Alexa Fri 10-Jul-20 08:46:41

Holy Hannah wrote:"When I use the term "bound to this one universe" I mean it on a cosmic scale... The Universe and everything in it is tied/bound to every other 'thing' as well... The Universe is infinitely large and expanding...

Similar to the "Butterfly Effect" only on a grander and multi-dimensional existence."

If this is true, and I believe it is, it must be possible to forgive everyone including oneself, and also possible to not blame anyone for anything.

Personal responsibility remains, however, because as human beings we can predict how our actions will affect ourselves and others and we often have a choice of what action to take.

Starblaze Fri 10-Jul-20 09:18:58

Forgiveness is like a muscle, the more you exercise it, the easier it is to do.

That's not always a good thing.

Some people you have to stop forgiving because your forgiveness means they never do any hard work on themselves at all.

Smileless2012 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:46:29

The act of forgiveness is as much for yourself as it is the person you are forgiving. You don't just forgive in the hope that the person you're forgiving will change, you forgive as a Christian because that's what God wants to you to do, to forgive others as you are forgiven by Him.

Sometimes we struggle to forgive and God understands.

Luckygirl Fri 10-Jul-20 10:04:13

starbird - but if you went to send a message and the computer had been destroyed in a fire, you would not be able to do it at all!

Luckygirl Fri 10-Jul-20 10:05:58

Smileless2012 - I can do forgiveness too! - but I do it because it is the right thing to do, not because a superpower wants me to.

Motherofdragons Fri 10-Jul-20 10:28:22

I can do forgiveness too! - but I do it because it is the right thing to do, not because a superpower wants me to.

This!

Alexa Fri 10-Jul-20 10:56:49

The point is the notion of reality as expressed by Holyhannah:

"When I use the term "bound to this one universe" I mean it on a cosmic scale... The Universe and everything in it is tied/bound to every other 'thing' as well... The Universe is infinitely large and expanding...

Similar to the "Butterfly Effect" only on a grander and multi-dimensional existence."

is a reasonable reason to forgive. Whether you can do so emotionally is another matter. However I think mediating on HH's words is a help.

Alexa Fri 10-Jul-20 10:57:08

meditating

rosecarmel Fri 10-Jul-20 11:37:44

When meditating one comes to understand that humans have a habit of thinking about the future or the past and not the here and now-

Smileless2012 Fri 10-Jul-20 11:52:38

I'm not saying you have to be a Christian or follow any faith to be able to forgive Luckygirl, I was merely posting from a Christian perspective.

Forgiveness isn't always easy especially when the pain runs deep.

Luckygirl Fri 10-Jul-20 11:54:52

Indeed Smileless2012 - I respect your faith but cannot share it.

I was trying to illustrate that you can lead a good and decent life without faith; and that way you avoid getting tangled up in the ills that religions have caused, which sadly are many.

Smileless2012 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:12:33

Yes of course you don't need faith to "lead a good and decent life" Luckygirl and there are of course some whose behaviour doesn't correspond with what they claim to believe and/or the religion they follow.

It's all too often the lack of respect or acceptance of 'other' that results in the awful conflicts we've seen, and continue to see in the name of religion.