Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Estranged from one, but lost so many others

(27 Posts)
MamaBear20 Sat 25-Jul-20 17:58:58

Has anyone else had the experience of losing other family members when you estranged from one? In my case, when my husband and I estranged from his mother, we lost a lot of other relationships with people we thought we were close with. They took MILs “side”, when we did not force anyone to choose a side. In cutting off MIL, we also lost FIL, SIL and her husband along with their children (our nephews). BIL has chosen a very limited relationship with DH but he has chosen to not see me or our kids in over a year. DH also no longer speaks to his uncle (MIL’s brother) nor any of that side of the family. It’s hard to lose so many relationships, but in the end, in our case, the peace of being cut off from MIL outweighs the pain of the losses. It is still hard though. Especially for our children to have lost their cousins, aunt, uncle, and grandparents.

ineedamum Mon 14-Sep-20 11:10:06

I haven't read the replies but I'm in a similar position. It may be the siblings, other people are victims too and don't realise the abuse and dysfunction.

I was scapegoated through my childhood, and I'm sure others who decided to become estranged were too. If the family only know this, it is easier for people to take sides.