Gransnet forums

Estrangement

That Interview

(87 Posts)
Sparkling Wed 10-Mar-21 07:43:14

I never watched it, but have seen so many clips on the news and such I might just have done so. My heart goes out to this couples families, Royal or not, how can they ever re unite after being so publicly trashed for over 2 hours. The dislike was palpable. It that how people that estrange really feel, loved ones disquarded. They are extremely wealthy and privileged, have each other and a lifestyle others can only dream of. The world as gone through unspeakable tradegy through this pandemic, so many deaths and sacrifes by people but only see their own truth! . I cannot for one minute understand so little compassion. It has been troubling me so much my own daughter not ringing to see if I was alive but if nothing else this interview clarified it somewhat, they see things from their own perspective that I don't warrant a thought, if you loved someone you just couldn't do it. I feel so upset by seeng and listening to what I have, it has unleached such bitterness.

Madgran77 Wed 10-Mar-21 19:35:58

Well I am certainly open to new experiences and as I dont eat meat, could be described as "full of beans" ( and lentils!!) ??

Smileless2012 Wed 10-Mar-21 19:58:24

Oh Rabbit I can't read an account like yours without crying.

To have suffered such cruelty and to still be on the receiving end of such terrible abusive behaviour and yet, doing what you can to support your mother is really remarkable.

I don't know how old you are but wish I could just put my arms around you, give you a hug and tell you what an amazing lady you are.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 20:43:50

Armadillo I think the 'Marckles son' heading was in relation to talking about Archie looking like his eponymous grandfather,(and he does) and in that context totally acceptable.

This is the problem, 2-4 word headlines are being quoted totally out of context as with the ones quoted by Smileless.

I think the Duchess of Sussex has got off very easily compared with what the Duchess of Cambridge suffered during her prolonged courtship by Prince William. In her case it extended to making fun of her family, particularly her mother, as well.

At my most charitable I think Meghan Markle saw herself as a living Cinderella, marrying this handsome prince and living happily ever after, wafting between England and La-La land and being cultivated by all. She completely failed to take on board that being part of RF is a job, and like most jobs has its routine dull boring bits and times when she has to do her job when she would rather be somewhere else and where she has to follow the company rules.

If I am uncharitable I see a middling actress with an overweaning ambition to be at the top of her profession with the big house in LA and mixing with Hollywood royalty and what will get her there faster than becoming a member of the British Royal family? It was fortuitous that the couple are happy together. Unfortunately she didn't do her homework and hadn't realised that being a member of the RF is an all or nothing position. She hadn't realised that it could not be a part time occupation and that if you leave the firm you have to hand in the keys to the executive wash room, return the car and chauffeur, as well as ceasing to be paid by your ex-employer.
The loss of all these means loss of status- and earning power in LA, which is what matters most to her. Hence the interview.

NellG Wed 10-Mar-21 20:52:49

Agree again M0nica

Armadillo Wed 10-Mar-21 20:59:52

No it was "Markles son denied title".

Rabbit Wed 10-Mar-21 21:03:44

Dear Smileless2012, don't cry, honey... I have learned not to - otherwise she hit me more. I am 59 now, a big girl. Do you know I had the best ever birthday present this year - my GP texted me a slot for the 1st dose of the Covid vaccine on 17th February. I was so happy! I had it done on the 21st February. I think that the next dose is around 9th or 16th May. Something to look forward to! And I have a kind partner & a beloved cat who has adopted us. And a big back garden where we garden & take a walk every day. I am blessed & I count my blessings every day. Thank you for your virtual hug! It feels very real.

Armadillo Wed 10-Mar-21 21:08:24

Don't think I am siding with anyone but I do see why this would hurt anyone. My friend sent me these comparisons she saw as she loves the royals and reads everything about them.

Armadillo Wed 10-Mar-21 21:09:06

Here is another one like it

Armadillo Wed 10-Mar-21 21:09:46

I won't post any more or I will bore everyone.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 21:21:26

Rabbit stories like yours put this interview with these two spoiled brats into its proper context. flowers.

Callistemon Wed 10-Mar-21 21:45:54

A Royal program yesterday was saying that if the Queen was in her office and Prince Charles had come into the palace he would not be allowed to go to the office there would have to make phone calls between staff and then check if Prince Charles could go to see her.

Well, I certainly wouldn't just walk in on my son if he was working in his office or working at home!
And even if they're home we'd phone first to check before we called in.

Callistemon Wed 10-Mar-21 21:48:07

Armadillo I would think the advice to Meghan would have been Do NOT Look at the Media Reports!

But it seems she may have ignored that advice.

Armadillo Wed 10-Mar-21 21:51:01

You can't if they follow you around shouting at you and you don't feel safe. Even rubbish people should get to feel safe. Maybe if they felt safe they would be less angry at everything and be better

Whiff Wed 10-Mar-21 22:35:56

Rabbit what a wonderful woman you are. One of my favourite saying is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And that definitely applies to you. My husband made me promise to live the best life I can and I do. By the sounds of it you do to. I am glad you have love in your life and are happy.

Smileless2012 Wed 10-Mar-21 23:40:27

Well your last post made me smile Rabbit and I laughed at hearing about your best ever birthday present. I'm hoping to be able to same when it's my birthday at the beginning of Maygrin.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 23:54:32

When you work from home nothing is more infuriating than people who just swan in to your office when you are working, ithout a by your leave and assume that you can always leave your work at any moment to discuss whatever is on their mind.

During lockdown, I have been very careful about when I even ring AC, and prefer them to ring me, because I do not want to distub them when they are working.

Rabbit Thu 11-Mar-21 02:35:02

Dear MOnica, thank you for your kind message! I think that in life, there is a place & space for all sorts of people, otherwise it would have been very boring if one lot lived in Hell & the other in Heaven. God (or Universe, Mother Nature, Cosmic Force etc.) are very wise in mixing us all up, so there's a variety: spoiled brats who do not count their blessings as it would have taken them a couple of days to do so & ordinary people whose blessings are only 3 in number but very precious & dear to their heart. "The less you own, the easier the Path to Freedom, Light & Cosmic Stream of Peace & Balance..." Thank you for the flowers!

Jillyjosie Thu 11-Mar-21 08:37:36

I shall probably get it in the neck for writing this, but, I wonder if any of you have read about new research and understanding of trauma, its long lasting effects, especially on children and that it is, quite literally, possible for people to experience events differently. Often there is no concretely right situation, only a difference of opinion. It's also long been accepted that we are all the products of our childhood and few of us were as deeply loved as we needed. Personality comes into it and circumstances.
Harry is the product of a marriage that was doomed from day one. His father married the woman he was told to who he didn't love and he carried on life with a mistress from day one. Princess Diana was an unhappy and unstable very young woman when she married. She obviously loved her sons to bits. I cannot imagine anything worse than your mother being killed when you were 12 and then being expected to walk behind her coffin in public in front of millions. I think Harry is deeply traumatised. He has said somewhere that he didn't speak about his mother's death until he had some therapy in his late 20s. That is trauma. Money is of no answer to anything when someone is deeply unhappy.
I can see how lots of parallels are being drawn with the royal family and personal circumstances. Actually none of us can really know what it's like being a member of that family. As Tolstoy said, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

rubysong Thu 11-Mar-21 09:12:47

So Harry knew how to get therapy in his late 20s. Why didn't he get therapy for his wife when she told him how she was feeling? He doesn't come out of all this very well.

NellG Thu 11-Mar-21 09:24:20

Jillyjosie You wont get it in the neck, everyone sees things differently and I agree that Harry is likely deeply traumatised which may well explain much of his behaviour and underlies the choices he's made. It's a terrible thing, most of my career was spent trying to help and heal people just like him. However, experiencing trauma might be a reason why people cause hurt to others, but it's never an excuse. The day we start accepting that being treated poorly is a good reason to pay it forward is the day we need to take a vey good look at what we're doing as a society. I suspect we're at that point.

It's possible to see the grey areas and nuance in this and not be a 'hater'.

Smileless2012 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:46:25

Indeed Nell. Our life experiences good and bad in part make us the people that we are, they play a big part in the choices we make good and bad, but those choices are ours and we need to own them.

Being treated badly is no excuse for treating others badly. IMO to treat others badly when you have personal experience of that behaviour being done to you, is far worse. You know what it's like to be treated in that way, so you know what you're doing to some one else.

Our past only dictates our future if we let it.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Mar-21 09:53:39

Spoiled brats is right M0nica.
They will create their own mental health problems if they carry on like this ! Bitterness will eat at them.

Rabbit Thu 11-Mar-21 10:09:42

Dear Whiff, thank you for sharing your story. Love never dies... Your husband is a very wise man. I was hurt by a hurting woman. I am still hurt but I try no to hurt others. I love animals & children: I worked with the kids most of my life, in three countries but it so happened that I do not have a child of my own. Then I realised why: I did not want my baby to be hurt by a grandma. If I ever had a child I would not have told my mother, in order to protect the baby. I am blesssed by three nieces on my side & a niece & a nephew on my partner's side. I am an honorary grandma to my niece's baby. And do you know - her dad is an African student of architecture in Russia & her mum is a endocrinologist. I will tell you later about their experiences of navigating a deeply ingrained racism in Russia: among their own family, neighbours, colleagues, passer-byes & the Internet where trolls are abound. They carry on with their daily life with grace & poise, & an occasional cry on my shoulder via Skype. They brave distances: he lives in Astrakhan, she is in Krasnodar with her mum, 514 miles from each other. He visits when he can & they chat daily via Skype with each other. He speaks to his daughter in French, I in English & Ukrainian & her mum in Russian & the 9-month-old baby laughs at & with us. We sing folklore songs & lullabies to the entanced baby girl in all those languages. She was born prematurely in the time of the Plague in a hostile social environment. And inspite of all obstacles, I feel hopeful for them. And yes, we discussed the baby's skin - in an open way, worrying if the trouble with the liver can be spotted at all, due to the dark skin pigment. My niece is aware that the baby needs the sunlight & will tan as a result. Caring for the African hair is also a learning curve for both young parents, so he enrolled on the barber's course & supplements his income by a part-time job, & also teaching his partner during his visits how to wash, comb & apply the special nurturing oils & conditioner to the hair & how to plait it. Life is good!P.S. The baby girl's name is Diana... You just can't make it up sometimes... Life is stunning: it can both stun & make you happy...

Madgran77 Thu 11-Mar-21 13:35:20

It's possible to see the grey areas and nuance in this and not be a 'hater'

It is indeed Nell

Armadillo Thu 11-Mar-21 17:25:14

I still don't want to take sides but it does remind me of my situation a bit now.
I had issues so I tried to talk to my family. They said that they didn't have any issues and were all fine so my issues didn't matter at all. I didn't want to be in a family that didn't care about my issues. Then my family sent other people that started having a go at me all the time for having issues with my family so I explained to them about the issues. Then they told my family that I was right to be upset and they should deal with the issues. Then my family said they wanted to discuss it with me privately. Then quite recently I tried to talk to mum and she told me there weren't any issues and it's all in my head. Have to laugh really but it's difficult when you don't like treatment from family and they don't listen.