Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Why do I torture myself

(308 Posts)
Elless Tue 24-Aug-21 12:13:41

I can't help but check on my ES Twitter account, It is absolute torture because he just seems so happy. I have never met his son who is now 21 months old and I just can't picture my son being a father but he is obviously a fantastic one and enjoys it very much. I am glad he is happy but it is like rubbing salt in my wounds, I'm torn about writing him a letter at the moment because I've got my operation in three weeks and I am concentrating on that. Sorry just had to have a moan.

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Oct-21 23:00:58

I see what you're saying CafeAuLait but as it was Elless son who approached her the other day with his child who she'd never seen, I don't think her sending birthday cards would be wrong.

It's a catch 22 isn't it, she may be damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

VioletSky Tue 05-Oct-21 23:29:35

I agree cafeaulait a non birthday related note, it was lovely to see you I'm sorry we missed your wedding, please can we get back into contact and work on our relationship, might get Elless an answer about how to go forward without my upset

VioletSky Tue 05-Oct-21 23:30:05

any that should say, not my

CafeAuLait Tue 05-Oct-21 23:50:44

Smileless2012

I see what you're saying CafeAuLait but as it was Elless son who approached her the other day with his child who she'd never seen, I don't think her sending birthday cards would be wrong.

It's a catch 22 isn't it, she may be damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Yes, context is everything here. Elless can assess that for herself but I'm just saying, consider the context and clarify if necessary to make sure things are received the right way.

CafeAuLait Tue 05-Oct-21 23:52:31

I think that sounds lovely Violetsky. Having talked with her son recently this could be a good way to follow up.

Neen Wed 06-Oct-21 01:51:46

Gosh. I can't begin t imagine how this feels. Sorry. Your own health and self care is paramount but have you thought of ringing your son and saying exactly what your post says. You've got this operation but this is torture and say I don't expect you to answer now, but how can we rebuild this please.

Smileless2012 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:36:17

There needs to be an open and honest conversation. The missed wedding is not down to the behaviour of just one or the other, it was a combination of both.

Elless has apologised and hopefully her H will offer an apology too. Their son also needs to apologise for his part if there's to be a way of moving forward.