Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Will my granddaughter remember me?

(128 Posts)
alovelycupofteaa Wed 01-Sep-21 10:34:21

My first post in this forum, so I would be very grateful for any support or guidance. My son lives 2 hours away with his fiancee and their daughter, who is 4. We haven't seen any of them since December 2019, a month before her 3rd birthday, when they decided not to have any more contact with us. I had previously had a very good relationship with him, and as a family we were very close and 'family-orientated'. I saw my granddaughter once a week from when she was born, until she was two and a half, driving over to them (they only lived 45 mins away then) to help out & give her mum a rest. My granddaughter stayed with my husband & I several times for weekends etc, & we all developed a wonderful bond & we went on several trips/holidays together. But I made lots of mistakes when I was new to grandparenthood, for various reasons, & I know should have coped better, listened to them more and been more forgiving of many things. I certainly would do things very differently now, given the chance. I think about them many times every day, but what is really breaking our hearts is whether our granddaughter will be able to remember us when we eventually see her again. Can anyone else tell me whether children remember people after a long gap, from when they were about 3? We are torturing ourselves with the worry that she will think that we have given up on her & don't love her any more. Thank you.

Madgran77 Thu 16-Sep-21 21:05:37

Is there any way to cut and paste my original post into a new thread?

Yes just right click, then follow my instructions in post up thread

Hetty58 Thu 16-Sep-21 21:27:52

An apology costs nothing and can help to heal a rift. It's always worth a try.

Making it crystal clear that you recognise that you've been in the wrong, that you regret things you've said and done, opens the door for a reconciliation.