Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Explaining GP estrangement to DS (DIL side)

(33 Posts)
DiscoDancer1975 Thu 27-Jan-22 09:19:15

We estranged from both sides eventually. We had four children, and once the older two started to notice the problems, we called it a day.

I suppose we’re different in that our children saw, and so were able to decide for themselves. The younger two didn’t though, and had to take what we said as truth.

We always told them to go and visit their grandparents once they were old enough, but none ever have, except for one of my daughters, who briefly got in contact, because we had a short estrangement from her. It didn’t last....

Just be honest with your son. It’s all you can do. You’ve got plenty of ‘ back up ‘ by the sounds of it.

Life is too short to spend it with difficult people.

All the best.

Hithere Thu 27-Jan-22 01:45:37

Without knowing more details
Age appropriate explanations are the way to go: they are not nice people to mommy and daddy
When getting older: we didn't get along with them and they refused to respect our decisions

The less fuss the better

Grandpanow Wed 26-Jan-22 23:07:10

I was in your DSs position. Didn’t have a relationship with my one grandmother until I was in my 30s and never did with my grandfather. It didn’t bother me at all either growing up or in adulthood. In some ways, I was removed from even the potential of emotional damage when I did start contact because I wasn’t very invested in the relationship. It was easy to see the not great behaviors sometimes, but it didn’t impact my life. I did have a great relationship with my other grandmother and grandfather, so I never faced a reality where I didn’t have any grandparents in my life.

VioletSky Wed 26-Jan-22 22:42:30

Unfortunately my older children witnessed emotional abuse but, it hasn't negatively impacted them as we estranged and they know abuse will not be tolerated here.

My youngest, when he asks will be told general truth, they weren't nice people, they didn't treat us well and they made us unhappy. When he is older I will explain what emotional abuse is and what it looks like

I won't go into personal examples as I really don't think our children should have to carry our burdens if it can be avoided

Chewbacca Wed 26-Jan-22 22:39:10

Just answer any questions that your son asks as honestly as is age appropriate. No need to go into the details whilst he's young; a simple "We fell out with ×××××× & ××××× a long time ago and don't see them anymore".

Granniesunite Wed 26-Jan-22 22:18:36

Tell him the truth…. Thats all you’ve got.

We’re estranged from our granddaughter through divorce so perhaps slightly different. Emotional abuse is so so difficult to acknowledge far less deal with.

Tread carefully always thinking of the child and you will do what’s right. It can take years to really see what going on.

Nonogran Wed 26-Jan-22 22:14:17

What he hasn’t had, surely he won’t miss? If and when he queries anything be circumspect & economical with detail? Try not to carry the dysfunction down into another generation & spare the child any bitterness, anger ir sadness which pervades your lives.
I hope it works out OK.

BlueVelvet Wed 26-Jan-22 22:05:52

Good Evening.

I am not a grandparent so I hope it’s okay to post here.

My DH and I have been no contact with his parents since my DS was very small. It’s a very long story but DH had to have months of counselling for how they treated him (and me) and feel it isn’t safe for our DS to have a relationship with them. DH doesn’t want one either, nor does his only sister and her family.

My worry is how to explain this to DS as he gets older and wonders about them. I don’t want to lie to him but I also think it would be very upsetting for him to hear about the affect it had on his parents. It will be his choice whether he wants to meet them when he’s older, I am very worried about that as I have seen what their emotional abuse did to DH. If they could do that to their own DC what would they do to mine?

Thank you for reading x