Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Reducing contact because my heart just isn't in it.

(179 Posts)
lovethepuppies Wed 15-Jul-26 09:42:13

I don't want to post the details. It may be identifying for anyone who knows the situation and I don't want that for anyone.

I have finally reached a turning point with my parents. They have really shown me where I rank. I think I want to back off a little but I don't want to hurt them either. I just feel my heart isn't in it feeling the way I do right now. I don't want them to visit (they live far away, so that's not something that happens much anyway). On the other hand, I know they aren't getting any younger. I do believe in the saying not to cross oceans for people who won't jump puddles for you though. It really shows what place you have.

Is there a way to gently pull back with as little pain to anyone as possible?

Madgran77 Mon 07-Sept-26 15:17:40

Sounds positive for you lovethepuppies with the phone call going well. Hopefully your mum will accept the change in time. 🙂

lovethepuppies Mon 07-Sept-26 23:09:55

I don't think anyone is just tolerating the other, Allsorts. It's just a shift of relationship. That doesn't mean there isn't value in a different kind of relationship.

My mother has always defined the rules of engagement and complained when that doesn't work for the other person and expected them to change. I think it's reasonable the relationship changes in light of this, and I think it's reasonable my mother might be a bit cool at the moment while she gets used to it, but it's a direct consequence of her choices. Sometimes people can't have things both ways. I think the reason she hasn't addressed it more directly is that she doesn't want to deal with what I might have to say.

It's also the first time my mother has had to deal with me calling for my father's birthday when I didn't call for hers, the first time I've ever not done that. It was all just too raw at the time and I couldn't deal with it.

Would you also want someone who did things out a sense of duty to you, and because you'd conditioned them to be responsible for your feelings, or because they genuinely want to? This is one of the few times I have taken equal 'power' in the relationship and put aside 'duty' and it feels very freeing.

We are in regular touch by messaging. I will call on special occasions. For now, that feels right for me.

BlessedArt Tue 08-Sept-26 16:32:37

If it feels right, that’s all that matters! Being at peace in this short life is invaluable! flowers