Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

I have just been put on a vulnerability register

(52 Posts)
M0nica Mon 30-Jul-18 15:49:23

Why? Because I am over 60. No other reason. It was done by my electricity supplier, EDF. It is their policy

Do not get me wrong, I am all in favour of vulnerability registers and would undoubtedly ask to be put on one had I had any problem that made this advisable.

But the everyday ageism is the automatic assumption that if you are over 60 you are vulnerable. When you consider that retirement age is 67, that many men and women are doing quite physically demanding jobs for a decade or more over 60, to classify everyone over an age as low as 60 as vulnerable is lazy and offensive.

morethan2 Tue 22-Jan-19 18:29:48

I was amused to be given an extra brightly coloured wristband when I was admitted to hospital last October. When I queried why I was told it was hospital protocol for over 65. The lovely nurse then told me she had to ask some sensitive questions. Could I raise from sitting, go to the toilet, get out of a bath that kind of thing. I wasn’t annoyed but did say they should change their policy because our generation are mostly fit, robust, healthy and still working. I suppose a line needs to drawn for the age people might become vulnerable. I just don’t like to think I’ve crossed that line just yetsad