Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Gransnetters, I could do with a bit of your lovely Humour.

(35 Posts)
POGS Sat 08-Sep-18 21:16:47

1974 cookie

The good news is if it does ' see you out ' at least you had good value for your money smile

OldMeg Sat 08-Sep-18 21:02:22

My electrician has just installed an exterior socket to charge my robot lawnmower. He informs me it was a very good make with a 20 year guarantee!

My exact words to him ‘that’ll see us out!’

grumppa Sat 08-Sep-18 20:50:51

Built-in obsolescence and the cost of repairs will see to it that the odds are heavily stacked in your favour.

Parsley3 Sat 08-Sep-18 20:45:18

“That will see me out.”
This is a running joke among my family and friends and it makes us hoot with laughter. Buy your oven and enjoy. As Dumpling says, it is an excellent excuse to spend money.

M0nica Sat 08-Sep-18 19:58:38

That thought never has and never will ever occur to me over anything.

I bought a new cooker three years ago and I have no intention of it lasting long enough to see me out. I really dislike it.

Alima Sat 08-Sep-18 19:41:40

Don’t worry, it’s perfectly natural! Over seven years ago some poor soul was trying to sell us the benefits of solar panels. We put him right straightaway by explaining we would not live long enough to make panels worthwhile. Shut him up.
(I honestly think you would be very lucky to buy an oven nowadays which will last for 20 years. Not unless you never use it anyway so you may yet need another one!)

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Sep-18 19:23:08

I’ve been saying “It’ll see me out” for the last ten years - except now I mean it a bit more. It’s an excellent excuse to spend money. After all, it needs to be bought now in order to see me out - and if it wears out in the meantime so much the better. I feel I’ve won. (I’m told I have apparently inherited an illogical way of thinking which makes perfect sense to me)

Anyway, if the last oven lasted 20 years and this new one has to see you out, that means you’ve got 20 years minimum. That’s ages and ages!

aggie Sat 08-Sep-18 19:13:19

MIL was of that turn of mind , she wouldn't buy a new coat because she wouldn't wear it out lol , she lived another 20 years to 93

merlotgran Sat 08-Sep-18 19:04:37

Put thoughts like that firmly on the back burner.

1974cookie Sat 08-Sep-18 18:57:21

I know that this is going to sound completely and utterly stupid, but please bear with me.
My oven died on me a couple of days ago after nearly 20 years, so I have been out looking for a replacement.
As I was looking at replacements, a thought came into my mind that it would see me out.
I have now reached the age when I finally see something as 'seeing me out'.
It seems just yesterday when such thoughts never even crossed my mind, and now, well, reality sets in and buying an oven has brought it to the fore.
Cheer me Up Gransnetters, as only you can do.