Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

So how old do you think I am? (Don’t answer that!)

(159 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 25-Oct-18 12:33:29

Recently in M&S the assistant was extolling the virtues of a super big M&S at the other end of MK in an area I try to avoid because of the complicated roundabouts!
When I said this she agreed but added “but good that you are still driving, my mum has given up now.”
She must have been in her 50’s at least - how did that make me feel?
PS I am70 , and IMHO do not look my age, whatever that may mean!
Do I need a new moisturiser or lippy?

BlueSky Wed 19-Dec-18 11:58:57

Not a very good salesman, no tact, no manners. Just say: "The tickets are 10 Euro, 8 Euro for concessions."

M0nica Mon 17-Dec-18 08:58:28

I actually get irritated if someone says I look young for my age. I always just say I am aging well. There is no typical look for someone of 60, 70 or older.

At 70, if you are unfortunate you can be white haired, wizened and bent with disability or still dark haired (naturally), fit and running marathons, and everything in-between. the older people get the more varied they look. Saying someone looks young for their age is based on having an entirely erroneous stereotype of what somebody of a given age looks like.

BlueSky Sun 16-Dec-18 10:54:52

I've always been complimented for not looking my age and I was starting to believe it, till while on holiday in Majorca the (British) guy selling boat trip tickets said he front of other people: "Your ticket will be cheaper as you can get the OAP's discount"! Needless to say I walked away, saying: "How old do you think I am?"! He was right of course but rude! angry

PECS Tue 30-Oct-18 14:23:51

Well not sure where your AC live but everyone round here is friendly ..it is not an age based phenomenon! Some miserable old & young gits but plenty of delightful and friendly folk of all ages!

GabriellaG Tue 30-Oct-18 14:11:38

My AC say that only old people chat to strangers in supermarkets or in queues.
I now keep it zipped when out and about. ?

GabriellaG Tue 30-Oct-18 14:04:22

Gonegirl
I was a fairy too...but neither good nor gay. hmmwinkangry

wellingtonpie Tue 30-Oct-18 05:45:47

I too embrace auntie natural hair and love it. I have the feeling too my OH isn't so enamoured but really, who cares! ?. It was a very liberating experience and at almost 70 it was time for a change and everyone has said how lovely my hair is. There comes a time in life when you gotta do your own thing and be what you wanna be. If you get my drift. ????

Scribbles Sun 28-Oct-18 12:25:53

And I thought it was just me! maryhoffman, I share your dislike of "elderly"; I'd go so far as to say I positively loathe the term. When I'm old, you can call me old but, for now (68) I'm merely late-middle-aged. smile

Persistentdonor Sun 28-Oct-18 12:23:05

I was out for a half term treat with 2 of my grandaughters during the week.
Paying to enter I was asked, "2 children, 1 adult?" That reminded me I am in receipt of my OA pension.
"Oh, actually I am a Pensioner," I replied, and then had to laugh when the man behind me commented, "yeah, right, stood there with your sisters, trying to pretend you are old!!" smile

maryhoffman37 Sun 28-Oct-18 11:20:16

I have noticed a lot of offers of seats on tube trains lately! I am 73, "still driving," still working, actually, since I am freelance and self-employed. Yes, I am a grandmother, to five children under six, but I don't consider myself old. (Though I'd rather be old than elderly, which I can't stand.

Parsley3 Sun 28-Oct-18 10:35:40

I know what you mean,PECS. I had a few false starts before I finally gave up colouring as I suppose I didn’t want to accept being grey. I was motivated by friends doing it first and they look good. Also,sad but true, celebs like Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Dench, Glen Close, Helen Mirren who are embracing the silver barnet. The OH doesn’t feel the need to colour his hair so why should I?
PS although he doesn’t say it I sense that the OH doesn’t like my return to nature that much. But, heh, I am free of roots so I don’t care. ?

PECS Sun 28-Oct-18 10:21:00

Hair colour is a quandry! My flame haired mum never dyed her hair as it faded from dark ginger to strawberry blonde, blonde to silver and it all happened very naturally. My natural colour is dark brown & I have been covering they grey "roots" for about 10 years. I have gone lighter to accommodate changes to skin tone & to keep looking as natural as possible..but cannot face being solid silver! I feel I should be able to!

Parsley3 Sun 28-Oct-18 10:14:58

Maw, I am preparing myself for hair colour related ageism as I have decided to stop colouring my hair. I felt that the ubiquitous blonde colour was fooling nobody and I was tired of it. Three months in and I am enjoying the benefits of wearing my silver locks. It is so liberating! No more roots, great condition, cheaper hairdresser bills. So far so good.

MawBroon Sun 28-Oct-18 09:41:48

Nothing could be as bad as the Magic Roundabout and the Oracle system. Murderous
gringrin
Been there, done that, never again!
I recognise that familiarity plays a large part of confidence, I know people who find the lane system and roundabouts around Junction 14 intimidating so never go that way if they can help it, but it’s my way home from Waitrose so I have no qualms!
When I think about it though I wonder if the fact that I refuse to dye my (silver) hair sends an “old lady” image to women who still do? An edgy haircut, smart and bold coloured clothes notwithstanding.
Now that’s ageism.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Oct-18 09:31:20

Bit off-topic that. Sorry.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Oct-18 09:30:27

I liked the leprechauns one. "We're the Irish leprechaun. Helping others when forlorn".

Gonegirl Sun 28-Oct-18 09:29:18

I was in the Fairies (Brownies). "We're the Fairies, good and gay. Helping others every day".

Jane10 Sun 28-Oct-18 08:23:47

Ooh PECS I hope you didn't get your poetry badge for that one!

PECS Sun 28-Oct-18 07:50:31

I agree with you * wellington* though my Brownie Six song was
" Here we are the sprightly Sprites, Brave & helpful like the knights"

wellingtonpie Sun 28-Oct-18 06:16:38

SPRIGHTLY is a word I abhor. I had this discussion with my youngest daughter who seemed to think it was ok to be called sprightly. Until I pointed out that it pertains to the active elderly. She laughed and said that's so ageist.
I think if someone said I was quite sprightly for my age I'd clock them . ??

GabriellaG Sat 27-Oct-18 23:47:38

Today, I had my hair chopped from collar length to short (not mannish) and a full head of streaks.
I can honestly say that the lighter colour makes me look years younger.
It's wonderful what a completely new style and colour can do.

GabriellaG Sat 27-Oct-18 23:40:28

MawBroon
Nothing could be as bad as the Magic Roundabout and the Oracle system. Murderous.

Rufus2 Sat 27-Oct-18 08:02:36

Just be glad you don't need one. Some of us would love to manage without ours
Tillybelle; Include me out of that"some". Mine is my passport to gaining help. grin
Takes me back to my days in the pram when I found dropping things out of it brought people rushing to help. Same with my stick! Now older, but just as wise (I think.!) wink

Grandma2213 Sat 27-Oct-18 02:05:48

Riverwalk How on earth do those officials recognise the people from the passport photos? I look like one of those Jane Doe photos that they used to take of an unknown corpse. My DGD does not resemble the chubby toddler she was and even my own DSs are unrecognisable to me! They all look like actors in a Zombie movie!!

Maw I actually hate driving and always have, though I am perfectly competent! Still I dread having to give up as I now appear to be the family taxi service. I am now 71. I was clearly born into the wrong class and should have had a chauffeur. wink

stevej4491 Sat 27-Oct-18 00:20:23

Tamayra, consider yourself very lucky at 76 to have no aches and pains (I wish).I'm 74 and been in constant pain,getting progressively worse as time goes on.As for medication ,don't talk about.The annoying thing is I don't feel my age,don't act my age and don't look my age.Even my doctor,when I had to go to him about my driving license ,said,why are DVLA involved at your age? when I pointed out I was over seventy bla bla bla,he was open mouthed,omg I did'nt realise.