Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

accepting I'm ageing

(63 Posts)
Fennel Mon 12-Nov-18 23:01:31

Feeling very upset tonight. After having a few falls and getting over them, I fell again this pm in the street. It was dark but I had a torch and thought I would be OK.
TG I didn't do much physical harm apart from my right knee.
But I take it as a sign I have to stop going out in the dark.
I want to keep my independence!

icanhandthemback Tue 13-Nov-18 11:44:57

Fennel, if you don't know for sure how you fell (you sound like you are surmising), then you really should get a blood test done at the GP's. Sometimes it is something minor like your electrolytes being out of balance or sometimes it can be indicative of something else fixable but more major. My mother fell recently and it turned out that she no longer needed her blood pressure medication. Another time, her magnesium (I think) was out of kilter. Both times it was easily fixable and she didn't feel she had to reduce her independence.

GrandyC Tue 13-Nov-18 12:52:53

Thinking about you, Fennel. xxx

Tish Tue 13-Nov-18 12:54:04

Sorry to hear you’ve had a fall, very scary especially in the dark.... have you considered a head torch... great for keeping your hands free...

SueDonim Tue 13-Nov-18 12:59:19

I'm sorry you've had such a nasty experience, Fennel. I know how it knocks your confidence as I fell on my own driveway and broke my leg in two places some five years ago. Admittedly, I was rushing about in the semi-gloom of an autumn evening but I've now got an abundance of caution about walking around outside.

A stick is a very good idea indeed as you can use it to feel your way and as support. You can even ones with little torches in them.

SueDonim Tue 13-Nov-18 12:59:43

even get ones

grandtanteJE65 Tue 13-Nov-18 13:39:20

Fennel, I don't know how old you are, but I am 66 and fell two years ago because a paving stone was out of alignment with the rest of the pavement. And if that sort of thing caused your fall, then it can happen to anyone of any age.

Do you wear glasses? If so, perhaps having your eyes tested would be a good idea, as when I am due for new glasses I find it more difficult to judge whether paths and pavements are level or not.

I hope your knee is better, mine took simply ages, so I hope you are more fortunate.

If you dislike the thought of a walking stick, perhaps a very sturdy shopping-bag or basket on wheels would make you feel and be more secure on your feet.

CaroleAnne Tue 13-Nov-18 13:41:09

Have you thought of being referred to the falls clinic at your local hospital. If you have a problem they could be of help. Carole.

PECS Tue 13-Nov-18 14:23:15

Fennel if it is any comfort to you the two occasions when I have fallen flat were when I was considerably younger than my current 67 yrs! I caght my foot on some steps when on holiday in Italy..in broad daylight.. no alcohol involved! 2nd time was early evening one November and I tripped on the edge of a drain cover as I got to the kerb. I fell flat, hands in pockets? as it was wet! I badly grazed my face & I still have a scar.
The point of my post is it may not be age related... if you feel unsafe try finding a pal to go out with you in dark evenings to build up confidence again. Good luck ?

mcem Tue 13-Nov-18 14:28:57

After turning 70 in March (not a big deal) I then fell and broke my femur in June! My own fault. I rarely wear heels but did on a dressy day out. Heel caught the kerb and down I went!
My ex-h (still a friend) also 'celebrated' his 70th and then fell from a stepladder breaking several ribs!
The hardest part of this has been accepting that help is sometimes needed! Having someone else change a lightbulb? Allowing anyone to carry a shopping bag?
Boy oh boy, has 70 been a turning point!

Venus Tue 13-Nov-18 15:55:55

I didn't go out in last winter's snow because I didn't want to fall over. What did I do? I fell over the other day and hurt my knee badly. It just happens. I don't think we pick our feet up enough as we get older, we tend to shuffle. Just pick your feet up more Fennel, and I'm sure you'll be ok.

Charleygirl5 Tue 13-Nov-18 16:02:16

Fennel are you aware that you should be measured for using a walking stick? I think your GP should refer you to a local physio who would do this for you.

I have a pinned and plated ankle and bil. knee replacements so I cannot afford to fall. Where I live there are even mini potholes on the odd pavement and the vast majority of pavements are very uneven so I never leave the house without my stick. I walk slower now which also helps.

Grammaretto Tue 13-Nov-18 16:07:13

mcem I know the feeling! High shelves and low cupboards in my case . When I'm down I find it hard to get back up and I think I can reach that pan on top of the wall cupboard.
I am tempted to wear a head torch and will certainly use my walking poles when the ice starts.
Be grateful you didn't break your hip when you fell Fennel
Look after yourselves.

EllanVannin Tue 13-Nov-18 16:07:31

It's tough but keep telling yourself that you won't be beaten even turned 70. If you're a determined character and one who is always on the lookout to avoid obstacles that could prove a disaster such as uneven pavements,wet leaves etc, just go easy on these areas then carry on as before.
I realise that a fall leaves you shaken along with lost confidence to say nothing of any injuries which you might incur but providing such injuries aren't major the idea is not to be beaten and just walk short distances to get your " sea-legs " back. It's surprising how that fear goes in a short time. We need to walk.
Parks are a good start to get back to walking as there are usually seats dotted around.
I don't venture out in the dark though.Plenty of time going out in the daytime if I so wish,or have to. Except when it's icy !

MadFerretLady Tue 13-Nov-18 16:27:45

I had a period of keeping falling, and discovered a Rico also to be the cause as they distort the ground.... Oe the perception anyway. I changed to single lens glasses and no more falls!

MadFerretLady Tue 13-Nov-18 16:28:49

Varifocals!!! Not a rico

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 16:33:47

I always use a stick out of doors day or night; partly because I have a very painful foot following breakages, but also just to make sure I do not fall again. I take steps and kerbs with great care and total concentration.

Honestly, once you've had a couple of breakages it really brings home to you the massive impact it can have on your life. Using a stick is a mere nothing compared with that.

One of the rules that I made for myself when starting life with a stick was that I would hold my head up and keep a straight back at all times.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 16:34:59

I do not regard using a stick as giving in or "being beaten." It simply makes sense.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 16:36:34

I have a natty stick rather than an NHS-looking one. Google flexi-foot. They have a suspension system in the ferrule so even going up or down hill the flat of the rubber is on the ground.

annodomini Tue 13-Nov-18 17:17:49

I have an adjustable Craghoppers stick with a proper handle. Since my fall last year when I broke my shoulder and bruised everything else on the left side, I've been under orders from my sons to watch where I put my feet which is good advice in view of the disgraceful state of the pavements around here.

Ramblingrose22 Tue 13-Nov-18 17:18:13

Fennel - I tripped int the street 9 years ago and I had tripped twice in the weeks before that.

The reason may have been because the boots I was wearig had not been laced up tightly enough so they "dropped" lower than the sole of my foot and caught an uneven paving slab.

On the last occasion I fell so fast that my face impacted the ground and I had to have root canals for 3 front teeth because the teeth were knocked out of place - horrendous!

I also had a gait analysis as I was worried that I wasn't lifting my feet properly when I walked.

Hope this helps.

Fennel Tue 13-Nov-18 17:27:42

EllanV I'm turned 82 never mind 70. I'm a stubborn old woman!
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how does a stick prevent you from falling? Do you lean on it if you stumble?
Does it give you a better sense of balance?
* R rose* breaking teeth- that must have ben a nightmare. I think I need to lift my left foot more.

newnanny Tue 13-Nov-18 17:40:43

Do you have a friend close by who you could walk with? Other than that a stick seems sensible or even a walker when it is dark. Hope you feel better soon. I don't go out at all when it is slippery or snowy. My dh walks the dogs on his own.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Nov-18 17:59:00

It definitely helps with balance - no question. Since breaking my foot, I think the brain to foot messages have got a bit scrambled.

And for me it helps relieve pain, as I can take weight off the bad foot.

NanKate Tue 13-Nov-18 19:08:01

The stick is like having a third leg which stops me falling over. I only use it when I go for a walk. Around the town I feel pretty steady and look carefully whenever I cross the road.

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Nov-18 19:17:43

I’ve found I’m tripping less since I had my second knee replacement. I think its because I’m able to pick my feet up better. But I still take a hike stick with me when walking on rough ground. I too feel more secure with a third leg.