Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Which adverts make you mad?

(145 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Jun-19 09:42:20

We're doing some research again on advertising and how over 50s are misrepresented (if they're featured at all).
Have you seen any particularly bad adverts recently? Or any good ones? Thanks smile

shysal Wed 05-Jun-19 12:57:02

I don't like the Direct Line ads with the Mafia-style double-entendres/threats. The actors are mostly older.

Scribbles Wed 05-Jun-19 13:06:04

That terrible radio ad for Meritene food supplements where a woman who sounds as though she's wearing someone else's teeth witters on about nutritional deficiencies "as we get older". I want to shout at the radio, JUST EAT PROPERLY, DEAR!! Patronising rubbish!.

And the Range Rover Evoque: what on earth does Live for the City actually mean?

And don't even get me started about Boots hearing tests with that sick-making children's choir chirruping "Hands, shoulders, knees and toes".

Then there's the smart meters campaign with the cutesy children's voice clips and the woman telling us that we all want to do whatever it is ... No, we don't "all" want to do anything. I resent this kind of manipulation where you're coerced into feeling like the odd one out if you don't agree.

I have a personal policy of never doing business with any organisation whose ads have made me grind my teeth in exasperation!

Oldwoman70 Wed 05-Jun-19 13:31:04

Any ad which attempts to "pigeon hole" older people. We don't all spend our time thinking about funeral plans, equity release schemes and gardening.

I also get fed up that all the actors are shown as fit, slim and healthy, always laughing and gazing lovingly into the eyes of their partner.

Blinko Wed 05-Jun-19 13:35:59

Advertisers should remember that 'older people' may be anything from 50 to (nowadays) 100 years old. What other 40-50 year age span is treated as if they were all the same slightly dotty fogies? I ask you!

Nonnie Wed 05-Jun-19 13:56:49

The fact that you remember them all probably means they work grin

I haven't seen most of them, perhaps they are on daytime TV which I don't watch. On the occasions when we watch commercial TV I do something else when the ad breaks are on.

DH notices the ones which come up on the side of the computer screen but I seem to have the gift of not seeing them.

Having written the above I don't think I've been a lot of help.

Anniebach Wed 05-Jun-19 14:11:14

But nonnie I remember having chickenpox ?

phoenix Wed 05-Jun-19 14:35:27

Why are there so many toothbrush adverts?

"I asked my dentist which cleans better......."

then that annoying woman doing all the exercise classes "I know how to keep my body healthy, but how do I keep my mouth healthy?" ( Or something like that)

I can tell you, keep it shut and I will be less tempted to punch you in it!

Auntieflo Wed 05-Jun-19 14:38:57

I can't bear the adverts where at the end, the voiceover gets quicker and quicker (are they paid word per second?) until it's just a gabble.
Also, any and all of the ones for betting/gambling.
Horrible things

jenpax Wed 05-Jun-19 14:44:48

phoenix ?

soop Wed 05-Jun-19 14:49:28

All the adverts that belittle men. Why is it necessary to ridicule the male sex in a feeble attempt to make the female look brighter, bolder, and superior? We are equal. So cut out the pithy nonsense that suggests otherwise.

Buffybee Wed 05-Jun-19 14:59:35

I love all the Lloyds Bank adverts with the horses, the one with the herd galloping down the beach and the new one with the horse and foal.
I can't stand the Tena adverts, I saw a new one last night where this woman is telling us that she doesn't need to wear long jumpers any more, to cover the wet patch on her trousers. ?

Blinko Wed 05-Jun-19 15:10:12

ROFL, Phoenix !

Beammeupscottie Wed 05-Jun-19 15:44:42

Agree about the creepy baby singing for the AA. Hate all ads with smug pensioners in pale blue jumpers and beige macs selling loose covers, equity release, whatever.
Hate seeing women in hideous tena knickers riding bikes. Hate those feral looking kids on a bike riding through a holiday park (Haven). We record most of what we watch to speed through ads but occasionally end up irritated when catching one.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-Jun-19 16:44:03

I couldn't agree more Phoenix about the young woman exercising and asking 'how do I keep my mouth healthy.' "Clean your ruddy teeth," I shout at her. I know where I'd like to shove the 'electric one' and then switch it on. When she gives that enormous grin at the end I give an enforced grin back. Yes, I think I'm going a little mad.
As for the 'bladder leak protection pads' - nobody calls them that - do they? Mini towels to the rest of us.

soop Wed 05-Jun-19 17:05:02

Injury claims/po-faced funeral plans/women prancing around safe in the knowledge that their piddle won't soak their pants. Okay, I do wear pads...I do not make a song and dance about the fact.

theretheredear Wed 05-Jun-19 18:07:05

This is the one
Diet ad, made me laugh, it's so bad, thought it was a send up!grin

MamaCaz Wed 05-Jun-19 18:24:49

It's a relief to discover that it isn't just me that shouts angry or sarcastic comments at the telly when the ads are on! grin.

As for those Tena Lady ads - are they on something, or do they think we are all gaga? How could they possibly think that we would think that those horrible knickers are pretty?
I am surprised that their sales don't fall rather than riise because of those adverts

phoenix Wed 05-Jun-19 18:33:29

Ah but lovebeigecardigans if you did that, you never know she might grin even more! grin

wot Wed 05-Jun-19 18:35:53

That kid singing. She's awful AA advert

Sara65 Wed 05-Jun-19 18:47:23

I don’t know the company, but I think it’s equity release, a lot of smug middle aged people dancing in the street!

Can’t bear it!

Like the AA one though

Loulou798 Wed 05-Jun-19 19:00:23

I’m irritated by those groups of people shown by BBC before programmes, eg Birdwatchers. Many of those are of a certain age.

It’s also annoying that many ads say they are products for the “over 50s” yet the actors shown are nearer 80. Its almost as if the day we say goodbye to 49, on the stroke of midnight we transform into equity-releasing high-seat users who worry constantly about their funerals.

And I do understand how to use a laptop, mobile phone, SD card, to download music and sometimes I even manage to make my own tea.

Treebee Wed 05-Jun-19 19:19:16

Just because we don’t need sanitary pads anymore, it doesn’t mean that we need pads for wee.
So annoying. I’m sorry if you do need them, must be annoying, but otherwise, pelvic floor exercises is what we need.

Harris27 Wed 05-Jun-19 19:26:17

The June one is hilarious him traipsing in with parsnips! I know every word that he says now!!! Get the phone out I've brought you parsnips so ring sun life for a quote hillarious!!!

annsixty Wed 05-Jun-19 19:28:05

This thread has made me laugh out loud.
How easily we ( me included) get annoyed.
Lets just switch off and do something interesting or ecxiting.
Well not me obviously
I am too busy watching tv and criticising the ads.??

Callistemon Wed 05-Jun-19 19:38:17

So many of the above
And the newspaper adverts showing a young, fit-looking woman sitting in her swimsuit in a walk-in bath tub.

How do those things work anyway? Presumably you have to climb in, shut the door, then run the water (at just the right temperature), bathe then let out the water (freeze in the meantime), open the door and climb out?

I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises right now - I don't want to be a Tena Lady (although they look much younger and more glam than me).