Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

people questioning my ability to care for sick grandson

(77 Posts)
Mebster Fri 09-Aug-19 19:29:02

I have been staying at a Ronald McDonald House with my grandson while he receives care for cancer and a brain injury that put him in a wheelchair and affected his ability to feed himself. His parents are at home with other children/work. I have been involved in his daily care, including months spent living in hospital with him. The administrators called my daughter and questioned my ability to care for him, apparently because I made a couple of suggestions regarding need for handicapped ramp at sidewalk and using meat thermometer to be certain ground beef is heated to kill e coli. His wheelchair tipped when I tried to back him off the sidewalk curb but he was not hurt in any way.
I returned home but I'm shattered, especially as gossip about this has now spread throughout our small community. I love this child more than I can express in words and we have a bond that is really special, as his therapists have observed. I'm so hurt and angry that I can't stop crying. The house manager has apologized and asked me to return but I feel unwelcome and I think his parents now question my ability. I'm not sure what I'm asking here. Just needing to vent.

jeanie99 Fri 15-Nov-19 09:45:57

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful caring role in the life of your grandson and also supporting you daughter in the process.
Personally I would let things settle for the moment get yourself in a more settled mind and have a talk with your daughter first about what happened.
If she is in agreement make an appointment with the administrators. Tell them your concerns and worries and get this issue sorted once and for all.

The important thing you need to consider also is in caring for your GS you also need to care for yourself.
You being exhausted is not a good thing.
You need to take what I call maintenance days out where you can just relax and recharge your batteries.
Hope everything works out I am sure it will.