Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Bossed around

(71 Posts)
Dorita Thu 22-Aug-19 22:11:51

I've noticed that now Im nearer 60 I get bossed around alot, by just neighbours voicing their opinions in a not very sociable way. Do others find this,. I would never of been outspoken and rude with older people when i was a younger age. Is society changing - for the worse?

maryhoffman37 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:20:22

I'd like to see someone try!

Jan66 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:20:39

No - I don't let people boss me around. I give as good as I get (if they even try to)

absthame Fri 23-Aug-19 10:27:31

My daughter has tried it in the past to the extent that I considered it to verge on bullying. As a consequence I refused her contact with me for over a year having exploded, but ensured that my wife maintained contact.

Since then I have accepted a “normalisation” but deliberately act slightly prickly to stop any risk of any reoccurance.

pen50 Fri 23-Aug-19 10:42:10

My daughter and my sister boss me around but they do it with everyone in the family, have done so practically since they were born, and I know it's their way of showing how they love us and want us to have better lives.

Still bloody annoying though.

Grannyrebel Fri 23-Aug-19 10:46:14

My DD tries! When visiting she loves to try and organise me. She says things like why don't you get carpet in the hall?, why don't you buy some new curtains?, why don't you move the dining table? etc. I just smile sweetly and ignore her

JacquiG Fri 23-Aug-19 10:51:00

Yes. Men seem to think I don't matter, and they can pass comment on what I say and do. Daughter likes to boss around occasionally but she takes after me and her aunty who are also bossy, so it's just a case of rolling eyes.

As for men - I get quite stroppy.

Saggi Fri 23-Aug-19 10:53:18

The only person to ever boss me around has been my husband of 47 years.....and 5 years ago I told him to stop it, or ...I’d-punch-his-light-Out ..... apparently all I had to do was stand up for myself, because it worked. He doesn’t think to boss me about now ....cos he knows I’d do it! Horrible when you first realise that your husband is a physical coward ...but very useful! Lol

Skinnylizzie Fri 23-Aug-19 11:06:17

I can be very bossy but recently my dd’s have taken over me!! I’ve just turned 60 and am in hospital atm and they are soooo bossy, telling me how to rearrange my life and look after myself properly!! I’m a bit of a rebel but they are going to turn me into a stroppy teenager as I fight back if they carry on like this! wink

Megs36 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:10:25

My dad lived to 94 and used to spend most weekends with us, my sons used to say was grandad coming this weekend for his telling off!!! Boot on the other foot now, guess who's reeling off who. But no malice intended, just pleased they are interested. ?????

jocork Fri 23-Aug-19 11:32:39

My DD tries to boss me around and organise me. I do need organising but sometimes she goes a bit far but I mostly agree she's right then ignore her instructions! Fortunately she lives far enough away that she can't easily check up on me!

H1954 Fri 23-Aug-19 11:34:40

I moved house a few years ago, majority of the neighbours are lovely. They pass the time of day and we all lend a hand when necessary but not to to the extreme of dropping in for a cuppa etc. However, one other person, although is helpful she is extremely OTT. Tries to control people, her opinion is always the best etc etc. I watched with interest and soon discovered she totally dominates her OH, poor man cannot think for himself! She is a control freak who obviously thinks she can control everyone. I have not discussed this with the other neighbours but certain comments lead me to believe that many of them feel the same about this one person.

Margs Fri 23-Aug-19 11:36:48

Yes - my (male) neighbour of one year is a Know-It-All, arrogant, overbearing bastard who thinks he's the Big I Am, talks down to me (quite stridently), marches into my back garden when he wants to do any maintenance to my side of his garden fence (as if he owns my place as well as his), and - laughably - claims "I know lots of very important people in very high places - I personally know everyone on the town council!".

Wow - I think he's watch The Godfather films once too often......

Seriously though, his wife literally lives in his shadow, walks around with hunched shoulders (as if she's trying not to be noticed) and I've only ever heard her make noises of agreement whenever he's in the front garden pontificating at length. Unbelievably, she actual fed me the old story about "walking into a kitchen cupboard door" when I was coming back from the shops one day and caught sight of her in the garden with a whopper of a bruise underneath one eye.

Glad he only talks to me insultingly......he's the kind of guy whom, I suspect, uses his fists and feet to win an argument with a woman.

Milly Fri 23-Aug-19 11:37:04

Crazy H. Yes i have a daughter like that, but my other one is incensed when she takes me to Hosp and docs talk to her and not me and ask if I have a carer. She thinks I'm in control the other one thinks I need controlling !!

felice Fri 23-Aug-19 11:53:10

Mainly by 'she who must be obeyed (DD)' upstairs. I find I am more inclined to say what I feel now, called an arrogant wee lassie 'rude and aggressive' last week when she was poking me and being nasty when I told her I did not watch cricket!!!! complete stranger. DD, DGS and I were in a local cafe the Cricket was on and we were not watching.
Sorry ranting, it still winds me up. BBQ here for 30 on Sunday, and just been told 4 are vegans and 2 seem to allergic to everything. Why don't they tell me when they reply, I always ask!!!!!!Sorry.

Jaye53 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:25:15

People try to boss me but I wont let them which infuriates the heck out of themsmile

TrendyNannie6 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:26:13

No I don’t really get bossed around by anyone have nice neighbours

DotMH1901 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:29:24

Like some of the other posters I find my daughter tries to boss me around quite a lot - she will sometimes over-talk me when I am speaking as well which irritates me no end. We do have arguments about it - she says I take too long to get to the point! Mainly I choose to do what I think is right, although I do always take into consideration what she has to say first and have, on occasion, changed what I was going to do as a result.

Hetty58 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:30:35

I'd like some examples of the bossy behaviour. I find it hard to imagine how a neighbour could be bossy. Dorita, maybe an assertiveness course would benefit you.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Aug-19 12:55:01

My neighbour tries to boss me.
I have to politely put her back in her place sometimes.

It's done with the best intentions, I think, but under no circumstances will I be told what to do.

Kim19 Fri 23-Aug-19 13:13:36

Not a chance!

Fennel Fri 23-Aug-19 13:31:19

Many people have tried to boss me around.
I was once friendly with an old lady (like me) . She told me, my husband tells me to do this and that. I say "Yes dear, of course" and go on to do what I like.
He never notices.

EllanVannin Fri 23-Aug-19 13:49:56

I don't think anyone dare hahahaha.

Millie22 Fri 23-Aug-19 13:50:48

Nope absolutely not and sometimes it's the other way round when older people always seem to think they know everything when actually they don't.

Greciangirl Fri 23-Aug-19 13:58:55

Another one here who is also bossed around by Dd.

My son also has a tendency to speak in a condescending manner. They think we know nothing.

My Dgs who is now four years old is also bossy, but that is probably an infant stage he is going through, I hope.

Yes, it’s very annoying to be spoken down to. It seems a few of us here are afflicted. If I try to talk back, it end with an argument, so I tend to let it go. There is the odd occasion when I know I’m right, I will rear up.
Well, you can only take so much, can’t you?

Legs55 Fri 23-Aug-19 14:37:31

Margs your neighbour sounds like my Step-S, fortunately I haven't spoken to him since my DH's Funeral over 6 years ago, no loss to megrin

Nobody bosses me around, it may appear that I'm a mouse who does as she's told but the reality is soooo differentgrin

DM who's 90 thinks she can still treat me like a child, I just ignore her hmm, just blame her agesmile

DD wouldn't dare try to boss me around, we are very alike so compromise is necessary.

As for neighbours, mine are lovely