Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Bossed around

(71 Posts)
Dorita Thu 22-Aug-19 22:11:51

I've noticed that now Im nearer 60 I get bossed around alot, by just neighbours voicing their opinions in a not very sociable way. Do others find this,. I would never of been outspoken and rude with older people when i was a younger age. Is society changing - for the worse?

Nanny41 Fri 23-Aug-19 14:46:11

I am the bossy one these days, age seems to make me so!

Nanny41 Fri 23-Aug-19 14:56:34

My OH doesnt boss me he wouldnt dare, but in company has the irritating habit of talking about me when I am sitting , things I could easily talk about myself!

Rufus2 Fri 23-Aug-19 15:17:48

"My boss says I intimidate other employees, so I just stared at him until he apologised.!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 23-Aug-19 16:29:37

I have never felt bossed around, but I have noticed that if you phone your mobile phone provider they assume that now we are pensioners we know absolutely nothing about modern technology.

A fair number of other businesses employ what sounds like very young staff when you speak to them on the phone, and they all tend to be patronising when you mention that you are 67. Here you cannot opt not to tell them your age, as all government offices, many firms, all trade unions etc use their customers social security numbers which contain the person's date of birth.

I get tired of being treated like an imbecile because of my age.

vickya Fri 23-Aug-19 18:08:15

I share Bathsheba's bossy granddaughter, but mine is only 4. Her mum was and is a madam too and my consolation is that 4 year old gives mum a hard time too ;)

Sheilasue Fri 23-Aug-19 18:21:57

No I certainly wouldn’t put up with that from anyone.

janeainsworth Fri 23-Aug-19 19:43:58

I was once told to my face that I was overbearing and wanted my own way all the time grin
So no, no one messes with me grin

Glammy57 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:09:40

Nobody bosses me, I don’t tolerate it. I always find it strange that some women are proud of being bossy. I see it as a sign of being an under-achiever!

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:41:08

No!

Chaitriona Sat 24-Aug-19 09:21:31

My daughter can be a bit bossy sometimes nowadays, especially at the automated tills in supermarkets. But then I can be a bit daffy and helpless. She is a good girl and I know she loves me and will back down if I protest. Your children learn how to act from the way they saw you act. Being the one in charge is a passing on of the baton really and a sweet thing in a way. I sometimes play the frail granny, eg yesterday asking a young man to reach something from a low shelf as I had a sore back. Younger people can be so kind and helpful on those occasions if you are sweet
to them.

sodapop Sat 24-Aug-19 09:45:36

Thanks for that Glammy57
You are of course entitled to your opinion.

icanhandthemback Sat 24-Aug-19 10:20:54

My Mum would say I was bossy and isn't talking to me at all right now because the issue of her driving came up! Sadly, she is confused, ill and is losing her ability to rationalise. Despite being frail, unable to do cope without considerable assistance, she still believes she is omnipotent. Believe me, I'd love to be able to shrug my shoulders and let her get on with it but if she doesn't kill herself, she'll kill other people. The rest of the family and her friends, including her partner, are aghast that she is still driving but I seem to be the only one who will tackle the thorny issue.

rem1997 Sat 24-Aug-19 12:02:25

Nobody would dare!
However, I've noticed lately a slight role reversal with dd and/or her husband. Instead of seeking my sensible advice they now seem to think I need theirs about everything. However, not yet!!

00mam00 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:47:56

At 73, I still have my marbles, am the family matriarch and am perfect. grin

Chewbacca Sat 24-Aug-19 20:49:33

Nobody would dare boss me about!

Atqui Sat 24-Aug-19 21:25:25

A lot of scary women here!- “Nobody would dare.....”

Chewbacca Sat 24-Aug-19 23:29:38

Confident; smart; self assured; purposeful ........ Scary? Nope! unless you try to boss me about!

natasha1 Sun 25-Aug-19 00:17:49

No and daughter still at uni so doesn't boss me, thinks I'm past it and I only wear comfortable clothes and memory going but not bossing me
As for neighbours only 5 houses out of 12 have people younger than me and two of them a only a couple of yes difference so nobody bosses anybody on street.. thank goodness couldn't cope if they did.
Couple of younger ones may try at work but just let them think they can do it, and make up my own mind. X

M0nica Sun 25-Aug-19 10:48:36

Have you noticed? women are bossy, men are confident.

Well, I am confident, DD is confident. It can and does lead to some lively encounters. However, we are always there when the other needs us.

Two of our three neighbours are retired or near it and in between are a family with three children. We all get on very well and no one bosses anyone.

Not even doctors boss me about. I was fortunate to go to a university with a medical school. Once you have experienced medical students at their worst. If ever a doctor gets high and mighty with me. I just look at them and remind myself they were once medical students, it cuts any doctor down to size

Atqui Sun 25-Aug-19 11:57:15

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"
Is it all down to this?