Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Should over 70 year olds be banned from voting in referendum to decide the country future

(145 Posts)
Dottynan Tue 29-Oct-19 09:32:36

A poll out today suggests youngsters think we should be banned

jaylucy Tue 29-Oct-19 11:08:15

In Australia, where voting in elections is compulsory and you are fined if you don't.
Once you turn 70, it becomes voluntary.
When you think that in many elections, be it local or general, it is often only about 60% (and often less) that even bother to vote and it often the senior members of society that do vote, if this idea was brought in, think how few people's opinions would decide this country's future ?!!

Callistemon Tue 29-Oct-19 11:08:28

Yes, so they should have energised themselves, thought about it and voted last time.

I could blame them for the mess we're in.

Callistemon Tue 29-Oct-19 11:08:51

That was to humptydumpty

humptydumpty Tue 29-Oct-19 11:14:15

But Callistemon, since the referendum there are a lot more young people who could vote if we had a second referendum, whose voices should be heard.

Amagran Tue 29-Oct-19 11:16:34

As varian says. I'm glad she said it - I would not have been so polite.

Why should our future be determined by people who don't think our opinion matters one jot?

The wisdom of the old is respected, even revered and sought after, in many societies.

However, I am still happy for young people to have their vote.

glammanana Tue 29-Oct-19 11:20:51

Would we then get rid of all the over 70s in The House of Lords and save the Country a fortune in attendance fee's.

Tangerine Tue 29-Oct-19 11:23:04

People over 70 might live another 25 years or so. Why shouldn't they vote?

sf101 Tue 29-Oct-19 11:28:42

And as someone previously said - get a postal vote - if you don't want to go out in the cold!
I signed up for these years ago when I started helping at polling stations, much easier to vote and once signed up you keep getting them unless you asked to change back.

Oldwoman70 Tue 29-Oct-19 11:47:49

Taking away anyone's right to vote is a dangerous path. If you start with over 70s what is next? Anyone not in full time employment or not paying a certain amount of tax as they are not making a sufficient contribution therefore shouldn't have a vote? Perhaps the next step could be anyone who is suffering from mental health problems.

maddyone Tue 29-Oct-19 11:54:51

Quite Oldwoman70, that was my point too. Who would they disenfranchise next? A very dangerous path, we should not go there.

ayse Tue 29-Oct-19 11:59:41

No, all competent adults should be allowed to vote. That’s what democracy, imperfect though it is, is all about

pinkquartz Tue 29-Oct-19 12:00:58

So now it is culturally acceptable to NOT value the wisdom you accumulate as you grow older?
Plus the fact that we love our grandchildren and possibly have great grandchildren who we want to live in a better world.

What is wrong with the young to be so hostile?
Don't they have good grandparents?

I know I worry for my grandchildren. I want them to have a good life....everyone does.
Can't someone point this out to these Young Ones, whoever they are.

Sara65 Tue 29-Oct-19 12:11:48

Just to play devil’s advocate, I do know people who voted selfishly, with little thought to their grandchildren’s future.
But I guess that is their democratic right.

grapefruitpip Tue 29-Oct-19 12:14:42

Yes, oldies should wear beige, sensible shoes and have a nap in the afternoons. Not for them the cut and thrust of modern day politics. A nice trip to the garden centre is more suitable.

Sara65 Tue 29-Oct-19 12:23:01

What a wonderful picture you paint grapefruitpip, can’t wait to retire now!

SueDonim Tue 29-Oct-19 12:36:18

No taxation without representation! I'll stop voting when I no longer have to pay tax. grin

kittylester Tue 29-Oct-19 12:37:46

I presume that if people over 70 promised to vote remain they could be allowed to vote.

It's an insult to assume that all those of us who are over 70 voted selfishly.

I have my doubts about the insight of many 16-18 year olds.

Beckett Tue 29-Oct-19 13:06:00

Agree with Oldwoman70 Take the vote from one section of the community and who will be next. Perhaps it will be those who haven't had a university education because they are not intelligent enough to understand all the implications, or even go back a few hundred years and only allow those people who own property to vote. Think it through and anyone would see what a dangerous idea this is

chaffinch Tue 29-Oct-19 13:08:11

And of course all these eager young voters will be voting REMAIN, and the old codger 70 year olds would have voted LEAVE, unless they have conveniently kicked the bucket in the meantime.

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 13:15:17

The Panelbase poll of 2,013 people in Scotland, England and Wales was commissioned pro-Scottish Independence website Wings Over Scotland, after studies showed older people swung the Brexit vote in favour of Leave - and pensioners sealed the 2014 Scottish referendum No victory.

It found 32 per cent overall “broadly agreed” and 68 per cent “broadly disagreed” that over-70s should be stripped of a vote on “matters of potential major permanent change such as Brexit”.

www.thesun.co.uk/news/10224578/over-70s-voting-ban-uk/

It seems the OP has misled us. In fact this poll seems to show that less than one third on the young respondants agreed with the proposition.

GrannySomerset Tue 29-Oct-19 13:22:45

“No taxation without representation” was the battle cry of the American colonists seeking to escape British rule. Since older people will be paying tax in one of its many forms (not just PAYE) of course they should still be allowed to continue to vote. And should be encouraging the younger generation to do their civic duty too - though deciding how to vote may be problematic!

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 13:25:32

We might also query the source of this poll. "Wings over Scotland" is a controversial extreme populist Scottish nationalist movement run by a fake "reverend" who lives in England. They recently said they were setting up a new party to fight the SNP who they say are not doing enough to break up the United Kingdom. They certainly have their own somewhat suspect agenda

maddyone Tue 29-Oct-19 13:34:30

That’s certainly very interesting, thank you Varian.

petra Tue 29-Oct-19 13:39:55

Well, there goes all of the House of Lords.?

petra Tue 29-Oct-19 13:45:31

Re Corbyn voting. It's irrelevant really as on social media it's being said that he's just signed his own death warrant ( agreeing to a general election)