Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Should over 70 year olds be banned from voting in referendum to decide the country future

(145 Posts)
Dottynan Tue 29-Oct-19 09:32:36

A poll out today suggests youngsters think we should be banned

Kandinsky Tue 31-Aug-21 11:04:14

Remainers were very annoyed with ‘ older’ ‘uneducated’ voters at the time of brexit, blaming them on destroying the future of the young.
Quite a few wanted them banned from voting. Funny thing is they were older people too? confused

Maybe we should go back to when only rich men over 30 had the vote. I’m 100% certain some remainers would be ok with that.

trisher Tue 31-Aug-21 11:12:08

If we are going to do something we could start with a retirement age for MPs and the Lords. If we aren't fit to vote how the hell can we be fit to govern?
Mind I bet most of those polled don't know the name of their MP (or their age)

Charleygirl5 Tue 31-Aug-21 11:15:19

If our age group refuses to vote for whatever reason, who else is going to bother?

JaneJudge Tue 31-Aug-21 11:20:35

Maybe we should go back to when only rich men over 30 had the vote. I’m 100% certain some remainers would be ok with that

I hope you are being sarcastic.

All my children are interested in politics and vote and none of them watch reality TV, certainly not Love Island. There is a lot of stereotyping going on here.

Lincslass Tue 31-Aug-21 12:57:04

Could have been said over anytime range, in fact since voting began. All should vote, the arrogance, and ignorance of youth never ceases to amaze me.

Daisend1 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:35:26

Dottynan
Ban the over 70's from voting ? 'wow ' who then would be next in the firing* line* when this idealistic in their dreams future fails to materialise..

halfpint1 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:55:12

hondagirl

I certainly do not agree that over 70s should not be able to vote. If anything, I think it should maybe sometimes be the other way around. I know of many young people who just aren't interested in politics and do not bother to inform themselves properly of all the facts, yet they are allowed to vote. Also I find that they are often ignorant of history and the way the world has developed,for example the history behind why we have so many immigrants in the UK etc. Yes, I may have less time to be influenced by the outcomes of any votes, but my children and grandchildren will still be here. I will be voting with that in mind.

My thoughts entirely. My AC are all busy people, children, careers, etc the usual. Any political or current news conversation is quickly put down with 'you watch too much news' or 'I can't be bothered with that' yet they will live by social media chat; I do not feel they have a good grip of current life events.

nanna8 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:55:40

Ban the under 25 s from voting would be the go. Not mature enough.

Namsnanny Tue 31-Aug-21 15:15:32

What's wrong with leaving the system as it is?

MayBee70 Tue 31-Aug-21 15:59:51

I’m really sick of seeing comments about older voters on various forums etc. When I went on the people’s vote marches most of the people I was with were my age.

Sara1954 Tue 31-Aug-21 16:20:10

I also think that the younger generation will be far more affected by any major changes than the rest of us.
Not that I think we should lose our vote, but I think we need to consider very carefully how we vote, and how it will affect our children and grandchildren.
Whatever I personally felt, I would try to do what will be best for them.

Polarbear2 Tue 31-Aug-21 18:14:55

I Don’t believe it. Media hype. Over 90s shouldn’t vote though. My 95 yr old mum voted to leave the EU then admitted she didn’t even know what it was. She just saw it on tv that someone said to vote to leave. I could’ve cried. She had no clue what consequences her action had.

Jackiest Tue 31-Aug-21 18:38:29

My Mum now 99 voted to leave as she thought we were not in the EU and did not want things to change.

M0nica Tue 31-Aug-21 18:55:31

Well, how about voting to ban under 25's from voting. let them wait until they have some experience of life before they start dictating, how the majority of the population should live their lives.

Supposing it was the over 70s who shared their political viwes and the 25 - 60 year olds who thought differently.

There was research done after the referendum that showed that the really elderly, those who remembered the war, and what it did to this country and to Europe, were more likely to be Remainers than Brexiteers.

It was the 'young' old who were the brexiteers.

SueDonim Tue 31-Aug-21 19:07:25

My mum is 93. She has all her faculties and looks after herself in her own home with no carers. She’d be very indignant if anyone tried to take away her vote! She voted Remain, btw. That’s the only time she’s ever told me how she voted.

welbeck Tue 31-Aug-21 19:29:24

this suggestion was specifically about voting in referendums, which are very rare anyway, not in general and local elections.
heard on LBC today, james o'brien said,
not all brexiteers are racist, but all racists are brexiteers.
discuss ?

MayBee70 Tue 31-Aug-21 23:45:11

Just seen pictures of the mess left behind at the Reading Festival by some of the young people that think I shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

absent Wed 01-Sep-21 05:47:17

I have an intelligent and industrious daughter in her late thirties and an equally valuable son-in-law in his early forties. I have six grandchildren aged between six and 19. Therefore, I have an enormous stake in the future of the country where I live and no one should prevent me from using my voice and my vote.

Puzzled Mon 13-Sep-21 10:35:51

Give these youngsters 50 years or so.
They won't think like that then!
They will be like us, looking to the future, even if it is shorter than we would like.