Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Now we are in trouble for hoarding our money not spending it.

(76 Posts)
M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 18:41:38

Someone from the 'International Longevity Centre has suggested that we should all be spending our money not 'hoarding' it www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/older-people-should-spend-rather-than-leave-an-inheritance-5xrtn6dl2 It seems hoarding our money is harming the economic prospects of young people.

What is completely unmentioned in this article, or at any other place I checked is that many of us are hoarding our money in case we need to pay for care, at home or in a care home.

At a time when a decent care home costs £1,000 plus a week and home care can cost many hundreds of pound a week, those of us who can want to be self-financing so that we are not dependent on the underfunded care provided by Local Authorities . So we are hoarding our money to ensure we get decent care.

Flossieturner Wed 04-Dec-19 11:28:39

I wonder what it is they want us to buy. I would think that after retirement our needs are less than when we were working. We are also told not to buy new electrical s, white goods or cars for the sake of the environment.

Like others, I want to stay in my own home as long as possible and my small hoard is set aside for carers or home adaptions.

ALANaV Wed 04-Dec-19 11:44:48

Me too ….I sold my big house and bought a little retirement flat ! mistake ...its like living under house rule ! BUT it did release some money and so far I have had four holidays in a year and am just sitting here planning the next as long as the medical conditions I have allow ….going to Russia and Japan in 2020 and looking right now for a holiday for February …...why not ? I have joined Dignitas but my ONLY worry is that if I die of natural causes first, you have to pay the £12,000 up front (as well as going to Switzerland for psychiatrist and doctors interviews) and it wouldn't be refunded to my Estate (not that that should bother me ! My only daughter has not contacted me in 13 years, save to send me a photo of her wedding and a small child she says on the back ;is your grandson;...hmm ! tried to make some kind of provision for him ..Trust fund, etc but my solicitor says I can do nothing if I don't know his date of birth or have the mother's consent …..so looks like he has lost out as well as me ! Did consider buying a house to rent out or live in alternatively (I do miss a garden) but it would have to be looked after ….going out shopping now …..grin ps I should say I support the Salvation Army with their work as this is one charity I do believe does wonderful work !

Phloembundle Wed 04-Dec-19 12:10:28

Shinamae, have you thought of signing half your house over to your son?

MaizieD Wed 04-Dec-19 12:17:50

I thought that lots of us were in trouble for Spending the Kids' Inheritance hmm Where did the money hoarding idea come from?

MawB Wed 04-Dec-19 12:27:43

BradfordLass72 Tue 03-Dec-19 20:17:06
Why do you even give credence to such nonsense

Just ignore it

Best response yet! smile

lovebooks Wed 04-Dec-19 12:28:39

To FlexibleFriend - could you message me, please? And will someone explain the meaning of LA (apart from Los Ageles)?

Saggi Wed 04-Dec-19 12:29:39

Well said Flexible friend....if push comes to shove...care homes are not for me. I’m of the opinion that once your usefulness to either kith ..kin..or friends has gone..then it’s the pills. I will not hand over my home to the state to keep me in ‘bedpan world’ . Who in their right mind would want that!? My home is for my kids... so their future is easier than mine. That’s how it works isn’t it!?

MerylStreep Wed 04-Dec-19 12:38:12

EllanVannin
BUPA was the worst 'nursing home' that that our family viewed when looking for a home for OHs Mother. First impressions in reception were nothing short of a 5 star hotel.
Tea and coffee etc were served on beautiful china ( you get the picture)

This is where most people looking stop, they don't go any further because they assume ( wrongly) that the facilities for their loved ones are going to be just what they see here.

But, I've worked in 2 care homes and know what goes on behind the opulent reception. When the tea and cakes were finished I asked to see where Mum would be cared for.

I can only describe what we walked into was a hell hole. No soft furnishings or carpets cushions etc. Everyone was sitting on a plastic chair. Several residents were in a state of undress with their pads showing. There was only one person ( visible) on duty. He made the terrible mistake of asking us what we thought: he got the answer with both barrels, and yes I do understand that it wasn't all his fault.

I reported the home to the council but as per usual got the standard reply that it would be looked into ?

JanT8 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:46:55

No-one can make you sell your house! It’s when you do and all of a sudden you have a large amount of cash that you have to start dishing it out for care etc.,
One of the groups I take my husband to has a lecturer in Dementia Care as the CEO, for want if a better title, and she always stresses that you don’t have to sell up!
My husband has Vascular Dementia and Parkinson’s Disease and I will continue to care for him as long as I possibly can (and hope I remain well enough to do so!).

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:49:26

Saggi, that's how we always thought it was supposed to work. There are strict rules now around 'deprivation of assets', so that's why I decided to start passing on funds to my children now.

I worked really hard to bring them all up and pay the mortgage off. I've been fortunate to inherit, too. I want my family to benefit and I'm free to arrange it - as long as I'm fit and healthy.

People wait too long, as once you can 'anticipate care needs' it's too late as the DOA rules apply. When I get doddery, I'll live in a nice annexe at my daughter's place.

'Care' home (so called)? No thanks, they are prisons and people don't tend to survive for long in them - just look at the statistics!

Newquay Wed 04-Dec-19 13:16:39

Witchypoo-please get in touch with CAP in Bradford. They will help with debts, check you claim all you’re entitled to and support you

Newquay Wed 04-Dec-19 13:19:17

Somebody tell me what this M* is please? If it’s morphine where would you get enough from then? A friend, retired nurse, says she’ll OD on insulin-she knows someone who is insulin dependent so will she have to steal some?! The sooner euthanasia is legitimised the better

Rosina Wed 04-Dec-19 13:58:31

It seems the Baby Boomers are in trouble whatever they do; I resent more than I can say the carping about us having had 'cheap houses and easily found jobs' - yes, houses were much cheaper but interest rates were much higher, there were not half as many nurseries for children, certainly not with government assitance for the fees, and invariably one wage had to keep several people and pay the mortgage. It isn't our fault if we have been able to aquire equity or savings - nobody chooses the era of their birth, and quite honestly if I hear one more round of complaints about my generation I might do something drastic.... I'll have to think what.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Dec-19 14:18:39

I don't think that's right JanT if you have outlived your partner so are the only home owner in residence your house is an asset that has to be used to fund your care.

That's why some parents sign over part or all of their homes to their child(ren) and I think if care is required within 7 years of doing so, it can be regarded as trying to circumvent the need for an inheritance to be used for the provision of a financial contribution toward care costs.

If I'm wrong it would be good to know from someone here.

Nina46 Wed 04-Dec-19 14:46:14

We were taught to watch our pennies. Save up. I used to pay into a local shop if I wanted a item of clothing. But I do not need to be told what to spend it on. I will still be careful . I left school at 15 and as an oap, I do not trust governments with my money. They took my carers money away at 60 because I was oap. Yet I am still caring for disabled daughter. No help from them. How dare it be suggested what we do with our money. When so many do not try to work .

Emerald888 Wed 04-Dec-19 15:47:20

It's time we had a referendum on assisted dying. At present you can be dying in hospital of a debilitating illness with dementia and the only assistance you will get is to have food, drink and medication withdrawn. Had an elderly relative go through this a few years ago. Couldn't talk to us and didn't know her family. couldn't drink or swallow food.Took two months to pass away. No good to her or anyone. Inhumane to put people through this. Waste of NHS resources too.
Should be able to write a living will setting out your wishes should you face similar circumstances.
If all else fails I will try a bottle of whisky then gin!

Madgran77 Wed 04-Dec-19 15:56:33

We spend our money ...what a cheek; obviously it just landed in our laps! We save our money; obviously we are the cause of any failures in our economy! We keep our house; how selfish, other people want it! We downsize...oh look we have money...we spend our money ...and so on and so on!!

We need medical care as we get older ..we are bed blocking; reason the NHS can't cope! And our illnesses are because of our profligate and over indulging lifestyles whilst spending our money so we are draining the NHS!

There are slightly less facetious versions of all the above doing the rounds! Baby Boomers obviously just have to accept that Its All Our Fault!!! wink smile

sodapop Wed 04-Dec-19 16:01:56

So true Madgran77

Shinamae Wed 04-Dec-19 16:33:53

Have just found this on the saga website, They get us every which way so very unfair...?

Shinamae Wed 04-Dec-19 16:35:57

I am absolutely for assisted dying and it really is time we had a referendum on the subject..... I’d rather not do it myself but if the time comes and that’s the only way I will do it....

tessagee Wed 04-Dec-19 16:42:15

I read that article also. One of the points they made was that businesses in Manchester were more geared up and welcoming to older shoppers. I wonder what it is that they do that's different from everywhere else. Does anyone know?

Luckylegs Wed 04-Dec-19 16:46:27

I’ll ask again as no one seems to be answering the queries!!! What is m** please? I’m wracking my brains but it’s driving me mad! I can answer the query what does LA stand for? Presumably Local Authority.

Please please tell us what m** is!

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:49:52

Thanks for that Shinamae it verifies my earlier post and I wasn't sure if I was correcttchsmile

love0c Wed 04-Dec-19 17:00:22

They would be hard pressed to count your house as an asset if it was transferred a long time ago (7 years or more). However, as a solicitor pointed out to us, you need to be aware that you are in effect, if your AC is married, giving your DIL/SIL half your house. They can then do as they like with their half. In other words you may have to see your AC lose their home (what was once yours) if they divorced. In so many cases the wife keeps the house where children are involved. At best they would still walk away with half. So be very aware of giving your house away!

M0nica Wed 04-Dec-19 17:09:53

LA is Local Authority. This shortening of these two words is done so often, in speech, print and media I just assumed everybody knew it.

Can't find m** anywhere so cannot enlighten you