Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Rudeness towards Charlie Dimmock

(96 Posts)
Musicgirl Wed 25-Aug-21 19:27:50

On my google I have various topics that may interest me coming up. However, I notice that Charlie Dimmock and how she has changed over the years seems to be there more and more often and the tone is not very flattering; commenting on how much she has changed over the years. I find it rude that in this day and age the media feel it is perfectly fine to comment about a woman’s looks rather than her talent. - in this case her green fingers. We all change as we age but it seems that it is still allowable to comment freely on a woman whereas a man is assessed on his ability rather than his appearance. What do you think?

elleks Thu 26-Aug-21 12:52:38

wildswan16

I just think she is a breath of fresh air! She is knowledgeable and skilful in her chosen profession. I loved watching her on Garden Rescue, along with the two Rich brothers. I never give her appearance a thought, (but have always loved her hair).

I just wish she'd tie it back while she's working-the perpetual brushing it back always got on my nerves! (I always liked her though)

MayBee70 Thu 26-Aug-21 12:53:10

I’ve got to be honest here even though I’m ashamed to admit it. But I’ll be watching a news report from somewhere and, interested as I am in the the report I’ll notice what the reporter is wearing straight away. Last night the lovely lady on Ch4 News (my go to news programme) was wearing the most gorgeous pink shoes, the sort of high heeled shoes that I’ve never been able to wear even when I was young. I really am embarrassed to admit to this blush.

olliebeak Thu 26-Aug-21 13:10:08

If Charlie appeared well-groomed on her gardening programmes, it would be proof-positive that she was NOT involved with any of the practical work involved!

GardenofEngland Thu 26-Aug-21 13:27:43

Maybe it's because she has changed so much from her former self. She is extremely overweight now and as my mum would say 'let her self go', but if she is happy fine, her body, her choice. I'm not so keen on the garden rescue show she hosts but nice to see her getting her hands dirty!

Blossoming Thu 26-Aug-21 13:35:17

She’s older and she’s put weight on. It happens to many people. I wonder how many of us would bear up under this kind of scrutiny. I like her and Mary Beard. I don’t fancy Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen, but there’s nothing wrong with the way he looks and dresses.

wetflannel Thu 26-Aug-21 14:13:23

Sarnia

Does it matter what she looks like? She is a gardener for heaven's sake. She's not likely to turn up with manicured talons and designer clothes. Just because she dares to weigh more than 8 stone, she is a target for the image police. Leave the poor woman alone.

Agree it's her talent for gardening that interests me, certainly not how she now looks. She comes across as a thoroughly nice woman. Why are we as a nation so blessed judgemental.

Kryptonite Thu 26-Aug-21 14:16:41

It's truly horrible how cruel people can be. My husband is not cruel exactly in this respect, but I am trying to educate him to not comment on anyone's appearance unless it is to say something nice. He cannot seem to do this. Everyone changes as they age, but there's no need to make any comment at all.

merlotgran Thu 26-Aug-21 14:17:14

olliebeak

If Charlie appeared well-groomed on her gardening programmes, it would be proof-positive that she was NOT involved with any of the practical work involved!

Frances Tophill, Katie Rushworth and Arit Anderson seem to manage it.

Gabrielle56 Thu 26-Aug-21 14:22:12

Charlie has matured into the absolute image of her Darling departed mum! Saddos feel the need to denigrate , their tiny brains know no better but we do and she's still a jolly and accomplished gardener and broadcaster!

timetogo2016 Thu 26-Aug-21 14:23:40

People who critisize others are just shallow imo,i`ts who you are,not what you look like.

Gabrielle56 Thu 26-Aug-21 14:24:58

Dunno! I detest those articles proclaiming in shocked terms how someone who is now 50/60/70/80 looks in comparison to in their 20/30s !!!I'd luuuurve to see the haters after 40+ years and have a good old pop at their matured rumps!

Naninka Thu 26-Aug-21 14:26:04

henetha

I just think Charlie always seems like a really nice person, and good at gardening. I do think it's a pity that such emphasis is placed on the way she looks.

I agree Henetha. Leave the poor woman alone.
As an aside, she does tie her hair back sometimes.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-Aug-21 14:33:33

Gabrielle, I am not a saddo, my brain is pretty sharp and not tiny thank you and timetogo I am not shallow. I expect the same applies to others who have dared to comment on CD’s unkempt and grubby appearance. No-one has questioned her horticultural abilities or suggested she is a misery.

Wendy Thu 26-Aug-21 14:54:06

It seems to me that it is ok to say anything you want to about someone on line which you wouldn’t think of saying to their face!

Kryptonite Thu 26-Aug-21 15:16:11

Forgot to say, I've always liked Charlie Dimmock and her gardening and pond advice is the best.

annifrance Thu 26-Aug-21 15:23:55

She is obviously a good gardener and if she is in grubby work clothes and dirty hands, well that goes with the territory.

I loathed her years ago, called her the Braless Wonder. I will never forget the look of horror on Nelson Mandela when she transformed his garden in his traditional homeland into something that should have been in Ideal Home Exhibition. Poor man.

There is a difference between youthful size and putting on enormous amounts of weight in 50s and 60s which she obviously has. There is a need to keep weight under control for health issues. We nearly all struggle with that, and I am well overweight but I couldn't let myself get to that size.

NannieLaureen Thu 26-Aug-21 15:48:08

Agree - totally unacceptable! No one focuses on Monty Don's wrinkles do they!!!

I love them both for what they teach me!!!

Mollygo Thu 26-Aug-21 15:52:20

Galaxy

Perhaps she has got to the stage where she realises that whatever you do with your appearance as a woman someone will have a view on it.

That’s true Galaxy. Imagine if we had to have our photos on GN.

Sheilasue Thu 26-Aug-21 16:13:21

I quite agree henetha couldn’t have put it better myself.

Callistemon Thu 26-Aug-21 16:23:59

I don't care what she looks like
She can come and sort my garden out if she likes!

Dinahmo Thu 26-Aug-21 16:26:56

I don't like her in Garden Rescue because she is so over the top in her manner. It seems to be a trend with female presenters deciding it's necessary to develop a personality. The Rich brothers are quite calm in comparison.

Mary Beard is fine but Jamira Ramirez - no.

Catterygirl Thu 26-Aug-21 16:59:43

Maybe she keeps her hair down because she is out in all British weathers and her neck region would feel cold with her hair up.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Aug-21 17:03:58

I don’t like the programme at all as they use such expensive ideas and shrubs, trees, etc and the same goes for Titmarshes rescue programme really OTT and must cost thousands and done in a day or whatever the time limit is it’s really unrealistic

icanhandthemback Thu 26-Aug-21 17:11:32

Aren't all women who were perceived as "sexy" when they were younger and who don't do the mega exercise, facelifts and full manicure so they still look "perfect", criticised for their appearance? I think it is par for the course.

Greciangirl Thu 26-Aug-21 17:13:18

Well, you have to agree, she has let herself go just a tad.

I was quite shocked when I saw her on t.v recently.

If I was going to be on t.v, I would at least brush my hair and put something decent on to wear, even if I was trench digging.

I wonder why she doesn’t bother now.