Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Ageism in adverts - difference between men and women

(47 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Mon 28-Feb-22 16:29:03

Has anyone else noticed the number of press adverts for things like equity release and other products or services aimed at the more mature of us, where a couple is shown with the man with grey hair and the woman looking much younger, and often with dyed blonde hair? Do they think that they will put people off if they show a woman the same apparent age as the man? Are we that horrible-looking?

Mom3 Wed 28-Dec-22 17:43:45

All of the comments have given me a good laugh. I must say I'm happy with my white hair that grew out during the pandemic, but I don't look very stylish otherwise and don't own cream colored pants and have never worn a sweater draped on my shoulders. It always slides off.

AussieGran59 Wed 28-Dec-22 06:05:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AussieGran59 Wed 28-Dec-22 05:54:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hetty58 Mon 26-Dec-22 10:50:14

Yammy: 'I often wonder if the adverts for retirement homes with all the good looking men are to entice grans on the lookout for a new chap to move.'

My male friend investigated retirement park homes - to be overwhelmed by a mob of enthusiastic 'older ladies' trying to make him feel at home. They so outnumbered the men it put him off!

Witzend Mon 26-Dec-22 10:24:32

Wheniwasyourage

Coastpath grin

Me too! 😂

ParlorGames Mon 26-Dec-22 10:12:32

Nanna58

You are all spending far too much time working on the jumper draping malarkey, when clearly, judging from the awful Magnum Classic ice cream ad we need to be practicing feeding our other half with our lolly in what looks like a creepy ‘ex models and OAP minor celebrities ‘ care home. It makes me shudder 😱

Nooooooooo! I am not sharing my Magnum Classic ice cream with any one, ex-model or not, it's MINE and he ain't 'avin it!

BlueBelle Mon 26-Dec-22 10:02:05

Aren’t we suppose to have our feet on some magnificent machine that takes away every ache and pain instantly and then you walk out into the countryside, positively bouncing
Even the logo picture on here is a daft one not sure which ones the mother unless they bun is suppose to give it away but then one of my daughters often has a high bun and I ve never had a bun unless you count the French pleat I had in the 70 s

Wyllow3 Mon 26-Dec-22 09:45:17

Watching ITV 3 one gets a good sample of these ads.

Posts above have made me hoot out loud, they are so spot on. I think there is a pretty even division of cliches between men and women, except for one things as pointed out above - men apparently don't ever "leak". Must be too much for male pride.

Nanna58 Mon 26-Dec-22 09:37:54

You are all spending far too much time working on the jumper draping malarkey, when clearly, judging from the awful Magnum Classic ice cream ad we need to be practicing feeding our other half with our lolly in what looks like a creepy ‘ex models and OAP minor celebrities ‘ care home. It makes me shudder 😱

DerbyshireLass Sun 25-Dec-22 20:54:51

I am 71.

Today my grandson aged 4 commented on my (naturally) white hair. He approves, 😂

At dinner one of the cracker questions was which actor should portray us in our life stories. Everyone was unanimous that Helen Mirren should play me.

Im happy with that. 😉

Oh yes and I've got white jeans and can do the jumper drape.

Maybe I should start a modelling career, 😂🤣.

sodapop Sat 24-Dec-22 19:59:14

Why are all the ads for incontinence items aimed at women, do men not have problems with this. Why do those same ads have to be so graphic.

Margs Sat 24-Dec-22 15:58:12

Yes, and not a hint of rheumatoid arthritis,false teeth or a Zimmer frame in sight.

Realistic.....to advertising agency liars!

(and the couple are usually pruning roses - SHE carries a trug but HE gets to wield the secateurs.)

Fi59 Sun 05-Jun-22 17:43:53

Sorry I thought I was starting a new post - duh, ignore me!!

Fi59 Sun 05-Jun-22 17:42:09

Did anyone else make the Jubilee Pudding? We did and felt it wasn’t worth the faff, we won’t be making it again!

jaylucy Thu 17-Mar-22 12:43:13

"Ourtime " Ads - the guy with a beard that can't stop smiling - probably because his teeth he has obviously had recently fitted are too large and he actually can't close his mouth !
Can you imagine turning up to a date with him, he smiles , and he actually has no teeth of his own ???
The chair ads where there is only one chair in the whole room.
Just wish for once, they could show more mature people that are a lot more curvy than they apparently should be!

Calendargirl Thu 17-Mar-22 12:32:26

And most of the walk in bath/shower adverts show a glamorous youngish slim woman in a swimsuit. Not usually a sign of any young or old men. No doubt they can still manage in an ordinary one.

Kim19 Thu 17-Mar-22 10:28:48

Advertising is an all encompassing game these days. I regularly mentally tick the boxes. One black, white, young, same sex, old or disabled. Fait accompli. To hang with the product

grandMattie Thu 17-Mar-22 10:03:34

I became a gran in my 50s but I know several women who were grans before they were 40!
So all those creepy, prettified “old people” in ads just make me laugh and wonder what they’ll be like when they are properly old…

Shinamae Thu 17-Mar-22 09:56:43

Love this….

Callistemon21 Thu 17-Mar-22 09:54:17

If you look at the makeup section it is much more realistic the women look like normal grans.

Interesting, Yammy

I haven't looked for a long time but GN did a feature doing makeovers on real Gransnetters and they looked lovely both before and after!
They'd have a hard job on me I think.

£40+ haircut yesterday and it looked great at the yptime but today I can't do anything with it!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 17-Mar-22 09:51:18

Glad it's not just me that finds him creepy!

Witzend Thu 17-Mar-22 09:46:35

Rosieroe

The Ourtime dating ads are awful. They used to have a man with lush white hair and a beard and a ‘twinkle’ in his eye. He gave me the creeps.

Me too!

Witzend Thu 17-Mar-22 09:45:53

Same on that ‘over 50s’ dating site ad, ‘Our Time’.
Grey haired blokes - when they show them - rather younger looking, non-grey women.

Yammy Thu 17-Mar-22 09:41:09

Callistemon21

They've just realised how much they're getting paid for this Gransnet ad!

I love this one Callistemon.
The chap looks like your usual' silver fox ', he looks as if he is cuddling his own mother, not his wife.
You only have to look at the" Transition to grey ", section on Gransnet all the women look like models with the most beautiful grey or white hair, they are slim and glamorous they look just like my friends and me. I'm kidding. I also get a picture now and then of a glamourous grey gran cuddling her grandchild ,nails and hair immaculate she can't be short of cash or just made batch of chocolate cupcakes .
If you look at the makeup section it is much more realistic the women look like normal grans.
I often wonder if the adverts for retirement homes with all the good looking men are to entice grans on the lookout for a new chap to move.
They wonder off into the sunset in their white jeans not a teena lady showing. They haven't just paid £40 for a haircut that makes them look like Milly Molly Mandy. angry

Rosieroe Thu 17-Mar-22 08:47:54

The Ourtime dating ads are awful. They used to have a man with lush white hair and a beard and a ‘twinkle’ in his eye. He gave me the creeps.